PDA

View Full Version : 23 Gage Air Pinners

Dan Henry
01-20-2006, 3:17 PM
I and in market to buy a 23 gage airpinner and would like some feed back on which guns work good and how long of nails is best, Some guns have only 1 inch capacity and other s are up to 1 1/4 but the price gos up for the longer units. Any info would be appreciated.

Dan

Scott Coffelt
01-20-2006, 3:25 PM
I've got a PC and it drives I think 1", all I need for a pinner. It is self adjusting, so I can easily switch between pins and not have to mess with any adjustments. Other than when i knocked it off the workbench and bent the tip, I have never had a problem. I figure out the one above when it started jamming. a little tapping with a small hammer and everything is back in line and working great. I think I read somewhere about a new one that has a rubber tip, that would be nice.

tod evans
01-20-2006, 3:28 PM
senco is the industry standard in nail guns........02 tod

Dennis McDonaugh
01-20-2006, 3:49 PM
The Grex will shoot pins up to 1 1/4 long, longer than the PC or Senco.

Mark Carlson
01-20-2006, 4:16 PM
The Grex P635 will do 1-3/8ths.

Steve Clardy
01-20-2006, 4:47 PM
PC100 here

Anthony Anderson
01-20-2006, 5:10 PM
I have the Senco gun, and am happy with it. I am not sure where the extra .25" would be necessary for the 23ga., but maybe I am missing something. Good Luck, Bill

Cecil Arnold
01-20-2006, 5:22 PM
I have th esinco and can't see the need for 1 1/4" since you're only holding something light in place till the glue dries.

Bill Roland
01-20-2006, 5:23 PM
I use this one for home usage.
http://www.kmstools.com/main.php

Richard Wolf
01-20-2006, 5:25 PM
I just got the new Grex that shoots 1 3/8. You are right about the price. Show price was $200, but if you get to a wood show where they are, they were selling the older model for $120, I think.

Richard

Paul B. Cresti
01-20-2006, 6:16 PM
Omer. shoots up to 1-1/4". leaves no marks

Russ Massery
01-20-2006, 6:44 PM
Porter Cable. I love it use it a lot for making temporary jigs.Shoots 1/2"-1" can't really see any reason for needing any longer.

Dave Lehnert
01-20-2006, 8:02 PM
I vote for Senco.

Jim Becker
01-20-2006, 9:05 PM
I have an Accuset/Senco pinner and like it. If I were buying today, I'd very much consider the Grex from what I saw at a show recently.

Tim Sproul
01-20-2006, 9:49 PM
Porter Cable. I love it use it a lot for making temporary jigs.Shoots 1/2"-1" can't really see any reason for needing any longer.

I like to install face frames on 'lesser' cabinetry with pins rather than brads.

Since face frames are typically 3/4 to 7/8 inch thick, 1 inch pins leave a lot to be desired.

Anthony Anderson
01-20-2006, 10:52 PM
I like to install face frames on 'lesser' cabinetry with pins rather than brads.

Since face frames are typically 3/4 to 7/8 inch thick, 1 inch pins leave a lot to be desired.

Tim, I don't think that 23ga. pin nailers were meant to attach face frames. Although the glue actually holds the face frame to the cabinet, the strength of the bond depends on sufficient and even pressure until the glue dries. When I first got my pin nailer I experimented with it, and triied fastening some various thickness stock to an edge (much like the face frame setup) and I could rock the face frame piece back and forth. Therefore, I don't think that pin nails can provide even clamping/ holding strength until the glue dries. Therefore compromising the strength of the bond. I know you stated "lesser" quality cabinet, but if it is lesser, then shoot some 18ga brads in, putty and call it good. Personally I like to K3 or pipe clamp face frames. Doesn't take that much longer and the job turns out that much nicer.

I mean this in sincerest respect:D. No offense intended. Regards, Bill

Paul Comi
01-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Just bought an Air Locker P630 23 ga pin nailer. It is the only gun that can shoot over 1" pins other than the expensive Grex and other $200 range guns. I bought it right after Christmas and had the opportunity to use it a lot in the last two weeks when I built and installed recessed flat panel wainscot. All the small rabbeted panel moulding was pinned and as long as the nose of the gun is totally against the stock it countersinks with the slightest hole compared to a brad nailer.

The good part for a hobby woodworker is that the Air Locker gun is about $60. Since I won't use a gun like this every single day it was a good value.

Wes Bischel
01-21-2006, 1:30 AM
I picked up the Air Locker just before Christmas and have used it on a few projects. So far it has worked quite well and I'm happy with the purchase. One issue some have had with it is the trigger safety - it is said it can be kind of cumbersome. So far it hasn't been an issue for me. I thought it was a good choice since I'm on a budget.

http://www.toolmarts.com/product1407.html

Wes

Vaughn McMillan
01-21-2006, 3:35 AM
...The good part for a hobby woodworker is that the Air Locker gun is about $60. Since I won't use a gun like this every single day it was a good value.
That was the logic behind my decision to buy the same one (different vendor) a month or two ago. It's worked great for my occasional use so far. I also got the low-end Delta brad nailer/stapler at about the same time and have had the same postive results with it. As seldom as I use them, it didn't seem justified to go with a higher-end gun. Only time will tell if this is one of those "good cheap tools" or "bad cheap tools" purchases. :rolleyes:

- Vaughn

Randy Meijer
01-21-2006, 4:22 AM
.....I also got the low-end Delta brad nailer/stapler.....

Vaughn: How's that working for you?? I have read that those combo guns tend to leave a big mark in the wood when you use brads?

Talk about cheap......I just bought an 18 GA brad nailer from Harbor Freight for $19.00.....I kid you not....big time sale!!!!! This is my first air tool of any sort and I will use it only sporadically, so I'm not likely to wear it out. I recognize this a cheap tool and may not last; but it was really just sort of an experiment to see what air nailers were like and at this price, it is a throw away tool. I've had it about a month and probably run 200 brads through it......mostly in scrap just for fun.....remember when you got your first air gun??? :D :D So far it has performed flawlessly and I have managed to avoid nailing my hand to my bench.....that is quite an accomplishment right there!!!

Randy Meijer
01-21-2006, 5:37 AM
And one more thing......guess I don't know what a "pin" is?? Is it sort of like a finish nail.....i.e. essentially a nail with little or no head?? Thanks.

tod evans
01-21-2006, 6:02 AM
i don`t know if it will make a difference to anyone but i know a fellow who lost an eye when the air cylinder of a cheap nail gun exploded? not a 23 gauge though.......food for thought......02 tod

Vaughn McMillan
01-21-2006, 6:34 AM
Vaughn: How's that working for you?? I have read that those combo guns tend to leave a big mark in the wood when you use brads? ...
Yeah, it definitely leaves a staple-sized dent when it drives a brad. Not really a problem for my applications, because I wouldn't plan to use it on something where the brad would be visible. That's what the pin nailer is for. The brad/staple gun is great for making jigs and such. I'm not planning to do trimwork around the house with it, for example, but it could staple together a nice trellis pretty handily. BTW, the pin nailer drives what's essentially a skinny brad, with virtually no head. The gun leaves a nearly invisible hole.

Tod, point well taken regarding the cheap tools exploding. That's the first case I've heard of that sort of thing. Not to justify the cheaper tools, but it doesn't seem like a prevalent risk with a high frequency of cases, compared to other potential shop hazards. I make sure I'm wearing eye protection in the shop at all times, although I'm not sure that'd slow down an exploding cylinder.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
01-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Tim, I don't think that 23ga. pin nailers were meant to attach face frames. Although the glue actually holds the face frame to the cabinet, the strength of the bond depends on sufficient and even pressure until the glue dries. When I first got my pin nailer I experimented with it, and triied fastening some various thickness stock to an edge (much like the face frame setup) and I could rock the face frame piece back and forth. Therefore, I don't think that pin nails can provide even clamping/ holding strength until the glue dries. Therefore compromising the strength of the bond. I know you stated "lesser" quality cabinet, but if it is lesser, then shoot some 18ga brads in, putty and call it good. Personally I like to K3 or pipe clamp face frames. Doesn't take that much longer and the job turns out that much nicer.

You bring up a good point, Anthony. The "compromise" (not really the best word) is to use the pins to help with alignment while you put the face frames on the carcass with glue and then use clamps to provide the necessary pressure just as you would do if you use biscuits for alignment.

Jim W. White
01-21-2006, 11:05 AM
I also have an AirLocker and have been very happy with it. No indent damage to the wood at all.

http://myweb.cableone.net/jimnbeck/pinner1.jpg

Dennis McDonaugh
01-21-2006, 11:26 AM

I mean this in sincerest respect:D. No offense intended. Regards, Bill

Yeah, but it holds the face frame to the carcas while the glue dries and leaves a very small hole to fill. With a 1 3/8 pin there is enough holding power to do the job. Different strokes for different folks.

Randy Meijer
01-23-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks, Vaughn!!

Great picture, Jim!!

glenn bradley
06-08-2006, 4:54 PM
I got the EZ Fasten 21 guage on sale at Woodcraft. Even with the slightly larger pin diameter I have not often used pins longer than 1" although the unit is capable and I have some 1 1/4" pins. I would not however settle for anything that didn't do at least 1". You'll find things to use it for beyond just trim that you hadn't considered a pinner for. At least that's my experience.

Bob Childress
06-08-2006, 5:26 PM
I have the PC 100 and love it. Especially the auto size adjusting. Never had a jam yet and I use it a lot for small pieces. Always countersinks, but oyu do have to get the nose up tight.

Vaughn, I bought that same Delta combo for someting like $49.00 just to use it as a dedicated stapler and use my PC for brads. Been working great.:)

Bob Childress
06-08-2006, 5:26 PM
I have the PC 100 and love it. Especially the auto size adjusting. Never had a jam yet and I use it a lot for small pieces. Always countersinks, but oyu do have to get the nose up tight.

Vaughn, I bought that same Delta combo for someting like $49.00 just to use it as a dedicated stapler and use my PC for brads. Been working great.:)

Tyler Howell
06-08-2006, 7:50 PM
New Senco Convert and here to stay.:cool:

Scott Thornton
06-08-2006, 7:57 PM
I recently bought a Grex...great gun...best one I own...

Ben Grunow
06-08-2006, 9:01 PM
My senco seems to leave the nails about 1/32" high on occasion (I run about 100 psi so that's not the problem), anyone else have that problem? Never jammed though.

JIm McMullen
06-08-2006, 9:11 PM
I have had two sencos (different sizes) for a number of years and have never had a problem--no jams, misfires, etc. Easy operation and accurate, I wouldn't own anything but.

Joe Meazle
06-08-2006, 9:56 PM
I did not see it mentioned eariler so I will. I have the Bostich it will shoot 1 3/16" pins. I use the the thing 10x more than I thought I would. It is priced close to the PC an Senco but has a little extra capacity. I have run maybe a 1000 pins from 5/8 to 1 3/16 with no jams.
Joe

Hoa Dinh
06-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Me being cheap, and not sure if I would use the pinner, bought one on FleaBay from the seller "thetuulshed." It was about $30 delivered. I was pleasantly surprised at its quality.

Of course I use it much more than I orginally thought.

Byron Trantham
06-09-2006, 7:42 AM
I agree with Jim, I have the PC100 and it is great but I saw the Grex at our local wood show a couple months ago and I really like it. I would buy the Grex if I had it do over again.

Greg Narozniak
06-09-2006, 12:03 PM
New Senco Convert and here to stay.:cool:

Ditto to Tyler!

glenn bradley
06-09-2006, 2:10 PM
PC on sale at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006411F/ref=pd_ts_hi_47/102-8040645-1547314?n=468240&s=hi&v=glance

Rich Torino
06-09-2006, 2:47 PM
Has anyone heard of a brand called Apach? They make, among other nailers, two 23 guage pin nailers. My local "toy" store has started to carry them but I've never seen any of them before or does the search turn up any on the Creek.....

Bill White
06-09-2006, 4:03 PM
For the $60.00 and added pins, I'm a happy camper.
Bill

"Gary Brewer"
06-09-2006, 6:29 PM
Grex, Cadex, and Omar are the three high quality nailers with longer pins. They are also a lot more expensive. I bought the cadex over the grex because it will shoot both "headless" pins and "slight headed" pins. The slight headed pins have a lot more grip. I tested this out. But you also get a slightly bigger hole. I felt the advantage of being able to shoot both types of pins and the longer 1 3/8" pins was worth the money. If I was looking for a good, less expensive, pinner I would buy the Porter Cable. It has good reviews.

E W Wilkinson
06-10-2006, 8:04 PM
Do a Google search for AirLocker. They have a 23guage micro pinner that's around $60. Works just fine for occasional use. If it is everyday use, the the PC or Senco.

Hoa Dinh
06-10-2006, 8:28 PM
Do a Google search for AirLocker. They have a 23guage micro pinner that's around $60.
The one I bought from FleaBay from "thetuulshed" for about $30 delivered looks suspiciously like the AirLockler. I think they come from the same assembly line. The quality is surprisingly good (especially for $30). I haven't had one misfire yet.