PDA

View Full Version : Turned Keepsake boxes article

Ken Salisbury
07-19-2003, 11:47 PM
The latest issue of Wood Magazine (Sept 2003 issue #150) has a neat article on turning keepsake boxes. I like the writer's approach to this project. It is well worth the reading. His method requires only a faceplate to mount the blank. It may not be on the news stands yet. Just got my copy in the mail this week.

David Klug
07-19-2003, 11:57 PM
The latest issue of Wood Magazine (Sept 2003 issue #150) has a neat article on turning keepsake boxes. I like the writer's approach to this project. It is well worth the reading. His method requires only a faceplate to mount the blank. It may not be on the news stands yet. Just got my copy in the mail this week.

I saw it too Ken and I know what you mean. I found it very interesting.

Jim Becker
07-20-2003, 11:09 AM

Yes, Phil Brennion's design contribution to this article really made them attractive to me as most of my turning is in the southwestern style. (That's my friend Phil's specialty) I don't normally do boxes, but these will definitely make my list of "things to do in my copious free time"!

The technique is also very useful for many small projects and one I learned to use before I got a "good" chuck. It also keeps things lined up exactly as you turn the mortise and tenon in the same plane. In that manner, your top will always mate the bottom of the vessel correctly.

BTW, when you part off the top "blank" from the bottom, it's a good idea to use a very thin parting tool, such as the Stott or a similar shop-made tool. The less you remove, the better the grain match will be.