PDA

View Full Version : Resting planes on their sides vs soles

Richard Hutchings
05-07-2022, 9:32 AM
I just ran across this on FB where some newbie was asking about handplanes and started with "I know planes are supposed to be laid on their side", ugh!

There's much information that poo poos this idea as coming from trying to keep young students from damaging planes. Teachers thought the kids might lay them on top of another tool or something other than the wood bench thT they are designed to work on.

How many of you are still following this rule and why?

Ben Schmidt
05-07-2022, 9:37 AM
I don't mind laying the plane down on the sole but I do set it down as gently as possible on only wooden surfaces.

Prashun Patel
05-07-2022, 10:09 AM
Resting them on a bench I dont care if the bench gets scratched. Resting them on any other surface that might damage the blade or be damaged by it, I use common sense.

James Pallas
05-07-2022, 10:49 AM
I am far more careful about where I set the plane on the bench. Many more planes have been damaged by being knocked to the floor when repositioning material. Unless you have a hard surface finish on your bench not much chance of damaging a sharp iron unless you put it in a pile of tools that shouldn’t be there anyway.
Jim

Richard Coers
05-07-2022, 11:29 AM
New woodworkers have a lot more to learn than how they rest their planes. I don't see it as a real issue. Respect for tools can come in many forms and a little caution is a good thing in my book.

Jim Koepke
05-07-2022, 11:42 AM
My worry is more about what the blade can do to the bench top than what the bench top will do to the blade. On the bench the planes are usually set down on their side, old habits and all.

For storage many are kept on their sides on a shelf as this makes it easier to grab the tote. Molding planes are stored resting on their sole. Some of the metal planes have a piece of wood under the toe to keep the blade from slicing the shelf. On another shelf there are four Stanley/Bailey planes stowed on their sole.

jtk

Scott Clausen
05-07-2022, 1:36 PM
I rest, not slam down on the sole. Bench is wood and so is the plank I will drive the blade across hundreds of times. I can hit metal tools carelessly laying it down (which I don't) or by bumping the blade if laid down sideways. People over think this, its not important, do what ever makes you feel good and piss on everyone else.

Todd Trebuna
05-07-2022, 5:24 PM
I think it was Matt Estlea or Jonathan Katz who put the plane down a significant number of times. I could be wrong, but I thought it was 1000 or so. The end result was no distinguishable degrading of sharpness. I’m with Frank from Frank’s workbench, I’d rather have the plane resting on the blade, then worry about it being exposed in a way that something can knock against it and chip it or I can accidentally get cut on it.

Derek Cohen
05-07-2022, 8:24 PM
There is a GREAT OPPORTUNITY for an enterprising tool maker ….. and I just bet that this could take off like wild fire ….
… someone should begin making and offering for sale SPECIAL boards to rest planes on. The only potential problem I can anticipate is that they make them look too good to damage.

I wonder if I can interest WoodPeckers in the concept? Anodized aluminium would last longer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

William Fretwell
05-07-2022, 9:36 PM
How about Dyneema? The strongest rope. Strong like steel but it’s not. Splice a mat:

Best pic I have, lasts a lifetime! $20 + shipping sound fair? Throw away those random wood rests, this is so much quieter!

steven c newman
05-07-2022, 10:12 PM
Hmmm...
It is MADE to be ON wood....and sitting, it ain't gonna cut anything...maybe learn how to set one these things done...
The Plane Tils in my shop have pine shelves....planes plop their soles flat on the clean, pine...no issues.

However, IF I have to lay a plane on, say my Tablesaw...over on the side it goes...

Aaron Rosenthal
05-07-2022, 10:38 PM
IIRC Rob Cosman had a whole video on the subject. He puts them down on the sole.
I have a shelf above my bench that they rest on sole down.

William Fretwell
05-08-2022, 7:29 AM
I started using it for my scrub planes, it was either that or lie them sideways which was not convenient. Now that it’s there it gets used.

Setting a smoothing plane down rarely leaves a mark but when you do it 80 times a project over the years it adds up, as your benches testify.

The other benefit is I can put my planes down faster with no clunk!

Steve if you levelled your bench and re-finished it you might feel differently? No….probably not 🫤

steven c newman
05-08-2022, 9:19 AM
My bench is for work, not to serve Dinner on....planes are made to sit ON wood....and, as long as they don't get slid when you set them down...they do not leave a mark. Haven't seen any, yet....

Bench was leveled a few weeks ago, after the last Project was done...

Prashun Patel
05-08-2022, 11:05 AM
Derek, I think you just spoiled LV's April Fool's Day item for 2023!!!

They could have offered a protective, replaceable veneer inserts and different sizes for each plane. Still better, there could be low angle and high angle plane versions.

Charles Guest
05-08-2022, 11:14 AM
I just set them down on the bench, but if somebody is freaked out by that then cut a piece of shelf liner or router pad and lay that on your bench or on the shelf underneath your bench. Plop your planes right down on the pad. Felt works, sacrificial piece of plywood, etc., etc.

Tom M King
05-08-2022, 11:42 AM
If common sense is in short supply, woodworking is probably not a suitable hobby.

Mel Fulks
05-08-2022, 12:54 PM
The more wood working secrets you have to impart , the more free labor you can get ! Here’s one: “ Yes, that’s a block plane ,but I don’t
‘wanna see no sandpaper on the sole ! The SOLE use of a plane is planin”

Jim Koepke
05-08-2022, 12:55 PM
If common sense is in short supply, woodworking is probably not a suitable hobby.

Sometimes it seems common sense is a rarity.

There is a saying, "different strokes for different folks." Some people may have their tools crowded about the bench. Setting them upright prevents accidental blade chipping. Others work differently with storage off the bench. Some may have been taught 60 years ago to lay planes on their sides, others were taught differently.

From a previous post:

On the bench the planes are usually set down on their side, old habits and all.

For storage many are kept on their sides on a shelf as this makes it easier to grab the tote.

Old habits aside sometimes a plane is set on its sole. Being on its side on a shelf allows the shelves to be closer together for more storage.

A few planes are stored in an upright position. Usually in those cases there is one plane behind another.

jtk

Tom Trees
05-08-2022, 3:51 PM
Two reasons for me why I use some off cuts, and have become particularly fond of these little examples.
https://i.postimg.cc/hP9Ckb5k/SAM-5131.jpg

I don't wanna muck up me bench top, as I use/ treat/regard my benchtop as the same thing as a surface planer (jointer) table,
but also for comfort since I use Bailey planes with forward leaning totes,
infact I use two of those same scraps either end of the bench.

Tom

Edward Weber
05-08-2022, 4:02 PM
I use primarily Japanese planes, I tend to put them down on the sole. One reason is that laying on their side, unlike western planes, they are more unstable and likely to fall over.
I usually have a piece of softwood, Redwood in my shop. where I set planes in between use. A sacrificial board is a simple solution and does not leave the blade exposed to damage or injury.
Also if you have a dedicated place to set the tool, it's less likely to be knocked off the bench when repositioning lumber.
JMO

John Lanciani
05-08-2022, 5:55 PM
Lots of ways to skin the cat, i typically take the first few shavings from planing and put themin the spot where i rest my planes (upright). This way the plane is ready to grab naturally and i dont have to worry about the edge or my flesh.

Luke Dupont
05-09-2022, 1:48 AM
I use primarily Japanese planes, I tend to put them down on the sole. One reason is that laying on their side, unlike western planes, they are more unstable and likely to fall over.
I usually have a piece of softwood, Redwood in my shop. where I set planes in between use. A sacrificial board is a simple solution and does not leave the blade exposed to damage or injury.
Also if you have a dedicated place to set the tool, it's less likely to be knocked off the bench when repositioning lumber.
JMO

I sometimes lay Japanese planes on their side because they take up less space that way!

One neat thing is that they can hook on the edge of things. Stan Covington described once to hook the planes on the edge of your toolbox and rest the chisels on the lid as you're working (on the floor). I'd not try that working high up on a bench though... for obvious reasons.

Derek Cohen
05-09-2022, 9:11 AM
I cannot believe that this thread is still running ....

Regards from Perth

Derek

Richard Hutchings
05-09-2022, 9:48 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

:D And yet, you're reading and replying to it! Hang on, we still have HHG, dowels and other minutia to cover again and again. I'm willing to discuss anything, what do you have? :D

lou Brava
05-09-2022, 10:04 AM

Regards from Perth

Derek

I can't believe I read all the posts !

Richard Coers
05-09-2022, 11:26 AM
IIRC Rob Cosman had a whole video on the subject. He puts them down on the sole.
I have a shelf above my bench that they rest on sole down.
An entire video on how to rest a plane? That's just ridiculous. That's a plain issue of just mailing in a video to keep subscribers on YouTube watching.

Richard Hutchings
05-09-2022, 11:43 AM
Really, I must have missed that video :eek: How will I ever know how to put my plane down. I think I'd like like to float mine.

steven c newman
05-09-2022, 5:21 PM
Hmmm-ph...

And...
All the big planes are over in the til...
Or in a case...well, there was one out doing a bit of work..
As a drawer guide needed to be thinner...
Before it got glued in place....and...glue was a bead on the guide, before it was mooshed into place...

YMMV..

William Fretwell
05-09-2022, 9:27 PM
Thanks to all those that ordered a Dyneema mat. Postage is very reasonable.