PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Chucking Options

Howard gorm
05-06-2022, 3:57 PM
Up until now I've been using jam chucks but I want something faster. I was looking at the Longworth chuck but was also thinking of vacuum chucking. I have a 4 gallon mini compressor that will deliver up to 120 psi. Appreciate guidance on which option is going to be better in the long run. With the vacuum chucking, I wasn't sure if my compressor would cycle too often. Additionally, I have a vacuum pack that I use for pressing veneer glue ups, can a set-up be done using that? Thanks

Kevin Jenness
05-06-2022, 6:37 PM
Not sure what a "vacuum pack" is but if it pulls several cfm at >20" Hg it will work on pieces that are not too porous or holed. I think your mini compressor will have a hard time keeping up with a venturi generator. Vacuum is great but doesn't work with all pieces. When turning off a tenon with my vacuum chuck I use the tailstock for centering and security until the last bit and I have to secure the vacuum attachment and chuck so it doesn't save a huge amount of time. It does make cleaning up the nub easier.

Dwight Rutherford
05-06-2022, 7:48 PM
You mentioned you wanted something faster than the jam chuck method currently used. How fast is faster?

Walter Mooney
05-08-2022, 1:20 PM
I highly recommend the “Frugal Vacuum Chuck”. Bought mine at SWAT several years ago. I can have it up and running, with my piece spinning, in less than a minute! Is that fast enough? :D