PDA

View Full Version : Vise-less vise

Jason White
05-02-2022, 12:12 PM
Sometimes, you gotta impro-vise!

Jim Becker
05-02-2022, 12:18 PM
Hand screws are pretty versatile tools and yea, the "impro-vice" is spot on within that idea! A similar thing that many folks (including myself) sometimes forget about is more or less the same as you show in the photo, but without the clamp to the table or the handplane...at the drill press...where you need to hold a board perpendicular to the tool table to drill into the edge. Hand screws are great for that kind of thing.

Jason White
05-02-2022, 12:25 PM
Yep. Works great!

Hand screws are pretty versatile tools and yea, the "impro-vice" is spot on within that idea! A similar thing that many folks (including myself) sometimes forget about is more or less the same as you show in the photo, but without the clamp to the table or the handplane...at the drill press...where you need to hold a board perpendicular to the tool table to drill into the edge. Hand screws are great for that kind of thing.

Bill Dufour
05-02-2022, 1:53 PM
Starrett makes nice little ones for machine work holding that are all steel. Of course they want Starrett prices for them. They are cute.
Bill D.

https://www.starrett.com/category/111610#currentPage=1&displayMode=grid&itemsPerPage=12&sortBy=wp/asc

Maurice Mcmurry
05-02-2022, 5:39 PM
Very clever and a lovely bench! I wish I had acquired more from the Adjustable Clamp Co. when they made things in Chicago.

Jason White
05-03-2022, 10:33 AM
Me, too! 😭

Very clever and a lovely bench! I wish I had acquired more from the Adjustable Clamp Co. when they made things in Chicago.

Ben Ellenberger
05-03-2022, 10:56 AM
Hey! I did the exact same thing yesterday. Hand screws are great for that. I also really like to clamp them in a vise to hold small pieces up high if you are doing little detail work.

Charles Lent
05-03-2022, 11:50 AM
I frequently use vacuum chucks to hold my work. 14.7 psi atmospheric pressure works quite well.

Charley