PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of Hamlet Glenn Lucas tools

Jeff Leimberger
04-29-2022, 9:13 PM
Hi,

I'm a novice turner, turning to support my flat work. I would like to turn more, including bowls.

On to my question. I have the opportunity to buy some little used Hamlet Glenn Lucas tools at 50% of current prices. Is the brand in general viewed favorably? I think he has some HAmlet non-Lucas tools too. At 50%, should I buy whatever I can snatch up that is not a duplicate? He also has quite a few Robert Sorby tools available. Same question, though I assume that Sorby aren't terrible.

I need to go back in the morning, so if you have an opinion, please share quickly. :)

Thanks,

Jeff

Don Orr
04-29-2022, 9:15 PM
Both brands are excellent tools. Get what you can.

Eugene Dixon
04-30-2022, 7:42 AM
Ditto what Don said.

Pat Scott
04-30-2022, 8:43 AM
Give me their contact info and I'll buy all his Hamlet tools - Glenn Lucas and all. Hamlet are excellent tools with parabolic flutes. Sorby gouges have parabolic flutes also but I'm partial to Hamlet.

Reed Gray
04-30-2022, 12:02 PM
Only question I would have about them is are they M42 HSS or standard M2 HSS. I really prefer the M42 because of edge durability, and that difference is a lot. They are good tools no matter what.

robo hippy

Neil Strong
05-12-2022, 5:01 AM
Only question I would have about them is are they M42 HSS or standard M2 HSS. I really prefer the M42 because of edge durability, and that difference is a lot. They are good tools no matter what.

robo hippy

I agree, if they are M2 you are on a winner and if M42 you are on a big winner!