PDA

View Full Version : Anudder Built-In

Todd Burch
07-19-2003, 11:27 PM
Here's a commisioned project that ended today (almost). The client is going to call his sheetrock guy to float above the lowered mantle, then I will return to install the final mouldings around the chest-high counter-tops.

This is walnut with a cordovan stain and satin lacquer. About 6½ weeks in all (not elapsed), maybe a little more. It took over a week just to install (included in that time frame).

That's a 52" projection TV housed behind those solid walnut raised panel flipper doors. The bottom doors are 28¼" wide and 53" tall each. Top doors are 16" tall. I made everything from 3/4" walnut ply, 1/4" walnut ply and solid walnut stock.

The lighting, on the top display shelf, comes in from each side (instead of straight down from the top) with some walnut custom fixtures I made to house the dimmable halogen lights. The fixtures pivot and rotate to adjust the lights.

Also included here is a picture of the clients attempt at an Oak built-in before he called me. It was not bad for his first woodworking project, but an accumulation of poor tolerances had him at a loss for how to "fix it". I fixed it by starting over. ;)

I'll have the full story on my web site in a couple days. Thanks for looking.

Bob Lasley
07-19-2003, 11:33 PM
Todd,

Beautiful work my friend. I really like the way the arched doors on the upper section seem to crown the lower doors. Very nice indeed!

Bob

Howard Barlow
07-20-2003, 1:32 AM
That looks great!

Richard McComas
07-20-2003, 4:36 AM
Very nice professional looking work. I like it.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-20-2003, 7:53 AM
Absolutely Beautiful Todd! Anyone that knows anything about cabinetry knows that is a great custom install.................you just don't buy a unit like that at the local furniture store. Outstanding work, and the integrated lighting was a good idea. Thanks for sharing that beautiful unit with us.............VERY NICE JOB! :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-20-2003, 8:30 AM
That's fine work. Beautiful. :)

KC

Byron Trantham
07-20-2003, 8:37 AM
Man that is one spectacular piece of cabinet making! A 52" projection screen? No wonder they can afford this kind of workmanship.

Jim Becker
07-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Geepers...three times in less than 24 hours I'm in total awe of the quality of work that SMC participants produce! Great job, Todd!!

Mike Evertsen
07-20-2003, 2:31 PM
Don't see much different between the two,,,,just kidding
,,,,,,,,,great job,,,,,

Rusty Hughes, Indy
07-20-2003, 6:17 PM
Very Well Done!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-20-2003, 9:07 PM
Nice design and great execution. Love seeing furniture like that.

John Miliunas
07-20-2003, 9:25 PM
Very, very sharp and rich looking. Wonderful job, Todd! :cool:

Von Bickley
07-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Todd,
Great Work. Thanks for posting the pictures for us to see.