PDA

View Full Version : My Kubota got dentures... :)

Jim Becker
04-28-2022, 9:41 PM
I finally did something I should have taken advantage of years ago and put a toothbar on my little Kubota BX-22 TLB. I can think of so many things I did at the old property over the 18 years I've owned the tractor that would have benefitted. Since I have a whole bunch of ground work coming to prepare for my new shop building, it was time to actually take the plunge and put this enhancement on the BOPT. (Big Orange Power Tool)

I choose the BXpanded Piranha (https://www.bxpanded.com/piranha-toothbar) product based on reviews and lots and lots of helpful videos. Easy to install and unlike more traditional tooth bars for a loader bucket, it doesn't seriously compromise regular tasks. Installation took me about 15 minutes, not including gathering tools, etc, and consisted of marking for and drilling of two holes for some stout bolts. After installation was complete, I did a little "test dig" and was pretty impressed. While it certainly doesn't increase the power of my little machine, it does slice and dice soil and small roots a lot better than with just the straight edge. In fact, this particular product was designed with supporting root and brush removal as part of its wheelhouse. That front edge is a bit sharp...gloves required for install. LOL Here are some pictures relative to the install...

478387 478388 478389
478390 478391 478392

This company has a number of great products for sub-compact and compact tractors...made in USA (most to order) and nicely designed. Despite the product line name, they really don't care what color tractor you have and prefer, too, for most products. I may get their trenching bucket, too.

Jack Frederick
04-28-2022, 10:27 PM
I have the Ratchet Rake. It preceded the Piranha in the market. I think you will like that piece.

John Ziebron
04-28-2022, 11:21 PM
Jim, I've had the BXpanded tooth bar on my B7500 for a few years now and it's made a big difference in digging. I also have an area where some scrub trees pop up every year and this bar takes them out in short order, something that I couldn't do before with just the bucket straight edge. The only thing I didn't like about it is the holes being too far back for me since I once in a while fill my bucket with water for places too far for a hose to reach (I don't leave the tooth bar one all the time). So I simple drilled my holes more forward and never had a problem. You're going to enjoy using it.

Jim Becker
04-29-2022, 9:36 AM
John, 'glad you've had a good experience with the Piranha. It's, um...stout. I can appreciate the issue the holes present. It could be solved if really required with a set of bolts that also have a rubber washer if need be.

Dave Fritz
04-29-2022, 9:50 AM
Thanks for the link. I have a BX 2380 and see a couple of items that look really useful for me.

Jack Frederick
04-29-2022, 10:01 AM
The attached show the Ratchet Rake. I like the sharpened tooth pattern on yours Jim. The RR is basically blunt 3/4” points and it is a 90* pattern with large and small teeth. It goes on and off in minutes. I have a tiller for my 2660 but have found that tilling a garden is a problem. the tiller blades create and almost polished sub-surface. I have run the tiller and then taken a shovel and the point hits that sub-surface and simply skids across it. I then take the hoe on the BX-23 and kinda us it as a sub-surfacer to break up that hard pan. This year I mowed the cover crop a d used the R Rake to break the surface. Perfect, no, but adequate. I’m going to modify my box blade somewhat to make a sub-soiler. The hooks I welded onto the bucket have greatly improved the safety of rigging loads. I got those from “Bolt on Hooks”. My 2660, when the mower deck is off also has a BXExpanded lower plate to protect the ridiculously exposed plastic cooling fan blades. I couldn’t have my place today if not for the tractors. I just can’t do the ground work any more. The BX’s have been excellent.

Tom M King
04-29-2022, 12:26 PM
It should save a lot of wear on the weld on edge of the bucket. I have a weld on edge now I need to change, but have been putting it off. I'm planning to change it to a bolt on edge, but it's down the to-do list a ways.

Jim Becker
04-29-2022, 3:40 PM
The attached show the Ratchet Rake. I like the sharpened tooth pattern on yours Jim. The RR is basically blunt 3/4” points and it is a 90* pattern with large and small teeth. It goes on and off in minutes. I have a tiller for my 2660 but have found that tilling a garden is a problem. the tiller blades create and almost polished sub-surface. I have run the tiller and then taken a shovel and the point hits that sub-surface and simply skids across it. I then take the hoe on the BX-23 and kinda us it as a sub-surfacer to break up that hard pan. This year I mowed the cover crop a d used the R Rake to break the surface. Perfect, no, but adequate. I’m going to modify my box blade somewhat to make a sub-soiler. The hooks I welded onto the bucket have greatly improved the safety of rigging loads. I got those from “Bolt on Hooks”. My 2660, when the mower deck is off also has a BXExpanded lower plate to protect the ridiculously exposed plastic cooling fan blades. I couldn’t have my place today if not for the tractors. I just can’t do the ground work any more. The BX’s have been excellent.

My plan will be to do the actual "digging" using the backhoe as it will both break things up as well as let me work my points for level with the rotary laser without having to take bigger bites. The backhoe by nature has a lot of breakout force available with bucket curl, even on our small machines. Mine actually lives on the tractor...I no longer even own any 3-pt implements as I sold them off prior to moving. (Sadly to Bill Grumbine to use on a new property in WV and who subsequently passed away)

It should save a lot of wear on the weld on edge of the bucket. I have a weld on edge now I need to change, but have been putting it off. I'm planning to change it to a bolt on edge, but it's down the to-do list a ways.

These folks can make their tooth bar to pretty much any size necessary and with only two bolts, on/off can be very quick if needed. Price is really good, too.

---
Another firm that has some interesting products for smaller tractors is https://bxattachments.com/. Also made in USA.

Jim Becker
04-29-2022, 3:42 PM
Thanks for the link. I have a BX 2380 and see a couple of items that look really useful for me.

Make sure you select the correct products for the 80 series from any of these companies if there is differentiation as my understanding is that there were some changes to the FEL on the 80 series. That affects the quick attach from AI2, if I'm not mistaken.

Dave Fritz
04-29-2022, 6:50 PM
I noticed they listed the quick attach bucket separately. When I order I'll most likely call and have my manual in hand. I'm interested in bucket forks and the hooks to attach chains to. I like the idea they can be removed when not needed as i don't need something else to get hung up in the brush. Sometimes I wish I had more lifting power but realize I'm probably better off not having it. Safer that way. I have a neighbor with a bobcat and he will come over and remove anything I can't. All it costs me is a bottle of Korbel at Christmas.

Kyle Stiefel
04-29-2022, 7:49 PM
I finally did something I should have taken advantage of years ago and put a toothbar on my little Kubota BX-22 TLB. I can think of so many things I did at the old property over the 18 years I've owned the tractor that would have benefitted. Since I have a whole bunch of ground work coming to prepare for my new shop building, it was time to actually take the plunge and put this enhancement on the BOPT. (Big Orange Power Tool)

I choose the BXpanded Piranha (https://www.bxpanded.com/piranha-toothbar) product based on reviews and lots and lots of helpful videos. Easy to install and unlike more traditional tooth bars for a loader bucket, it doesn't seriously compromise regular tasks. Installation took me about 15 minutes, not including gathering tools, etc, and consisted of marking for and drilling of two holes for some stout bolts. After installation was complete, I did a little "test dig" and was pretty impressed. While it certainly doesn't increase the power of my little machine, it does slice and dice soil and small roots a lot better than with just the straight edge. In fact, this particular product was designed with supporting root and brush removal as part of its wheelhouse. That front edge is a bit sharp...gloves required for install. LOL Here are some pictures relative to the install...

This company has a number of great products for sub-compact and compact tractors...made in USA (most to order) and nicely designed. Despite the product line name, they really don't care what color tractor you have and prefer, too, for most products. I may get their trenching bucket, too.

Congrats, the Piranhas are great, back hoe attachments quite slick as well. I run a Kubota primarily for winter snow throwing with a very long driveway.

Jim Becker
04-29-2022, 9:20 PM
I noticed they listed the quick attach bucket separately. When I order I'll most likely call and have my manual in hand. I'm interested in bucket forks and the hooks to attach chains to. I like the idea they can be removed when not needed as i don't need something else to get hung up in the brush. Sometimes I wish I had more lifting power but realize I'm probably better off not having it. Safer that way. I have a neighbor with a bobcat and he will come over and remove anything I can't. All it costs me is a bottle of Korbel at Christmas.

Dave, one of the "secrets" of using your BX FEL effectively is having a lot of weight on the back of the tractor. The Backhoe on my BX-22 serves that purpose at about 600 lbs. It provides both load balancing as well as a huge kick up on traction, especially when digging with the FEL. These little machines are very capable when you think things through and work at the pace they are able to maintain. What's really nice is that you don't have to baby them...you can work them hard and they love it :)

A front quick attach would absolutely be on my list if I still owned the bigger property. I use add-on forks now, but the weight limit is compromised because the load is so far forward. With the Quick Attach, the weight is back where the bucket would have been and you can get nearly full capacity.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-30-2022, 7:56 AM
Well that adds another level to my loader envy. I have teeth for my box blade, I call them "The Anchor" or "The Parking Brake". When they are down the tractor refuses to move.

Dave Fritz
04-30-2022, 8:42 AM
A front quick attach would absolutely be on my list if I still owned the bigger property. I use add-on forks now, but the weight limit is compromised because the load is so far forward. With the Quick Attach, the weight is back where the bucket would have been and you can get nearly full capacity.

Makes perfect sense, thank you.,

Jack Frederick
04-30-2022, 11:09 AM
Dave, these are the forks for my BX’s 2”x.019 riser with a pretty heavy 3” channel. I thought I would need to weld some gussets at the bottom of the 2” but have not had any problem as they are shown. The BX buckets return lip on the top grabs the 1x6” blk nipple and two pieces of angle iron back to back. I have used these for years and they have been excellent. I can move them for about any spread I want. Simple on and off and not so heavy to pose a problem handling. Notice on the hooks I welded on that I put them up on a piece of the 3” channel. I raised them so any chain I attach will pull just above the return Kubota rolls on the BX buckets. If the hooks sat lower it would deform that return and make my forks inop. As Jim said, BX’s are very effective and safe, when you use your head. tractor repairs are costly so I try to avoid them by not pushing the machines to far.

John K Jordan
04-30-2022, 11:54 AM
I finally did something I should have taken advantage of years ago and put a toothbar on my little Kubota BX-22 TLB….

Nice. My JD skid steer has a straight bucket and a bolt-on digging bar made it much more useful around the farm. Once I put it on I never took it off.

Based on that I ordered the new Kubota tracked skid steer with a factory toothed bucket. There are times when I could use a straight bucket, such as for back dragging for smoothing so I might break down and buy a straight bucket, maybe used if I can find one or just take the digging bar off the JD bucket and use it (or use the tractor bucket.) The three machines use the same skid steer mount.

I am shamefully spoiled by the new tracked skid steer - the cab model comes with a hydraulic coupler- just push a button inside the cab!!

JKJ

Jim Becker
04-30-2022, 2:04 PM
Nice setup, Jack. The one downside to any kind of add-on forks...like the clamp on I have or the design you use (outside of the lifting point position that I already mentioned) is that there is still the weight of the bucket involved. So for folks you really need to use forks for as close to max capacity as there is available, the quick-attach setup may still be the better solution long term. FYI, the loader model number on the Kubota represents the total KG of lift available at the pivot point for the loader bucket. The weight of the bucket plus any add-ons comes out of that.

Jim Becker
04-30-2022, 2:06 PM
John, which model Kubota track-steer did you get? They are really nice machines!

John K Jordan
04-30-2022, 4:41 PM
John, which model Kubota track-steer did you get? They are really nice machines!

I got the SVL65 in January. It’s a big step up from my JD 240 wheeled skid steer - incredible traction, plenty of power, great controls, excellent lighting for playing, er, working late! Since I’m elderly and feeble I got the cab model with heat, air, radio, and yellow jacket protection. I put a backup camera in it.

I was lucky to get one. The dealers were getting stock only rarely, people waiting months for a machine. I finally put my name on the waiting list and had it delivered in 2 days! A utility company had been waiting for months for this machine but their authorization for purchase expired just before the machine came in - the bean counters refused to release funds without reapproval from the council which would take more months so it was offered to me.

So currently I’m at 6 Kubota machines. I don’t really favor one brand over another but I buy Kubotas because of the dealers, both the farm and construction equipment even though one is 50 miles away.

JKJ

Jim Becker
04-30-2022, 7:49 PM
That's a nice unit, John! You are correct that the dealer "is everything" when it comes to this kind of equipment. Around here, there are three really good Kubota dealers and one decent sized Deere dealership. There's a whole lot of orange on folks' properties as a result. The machinery is comparable and interchangeable...but that added support does influence buyers.

Jim Becker
06-04-2022, 8:58 PM
Ok...following up on the Piranha tooth bar. Wow. Totally worth the $300. Cuts in great and also cuts roots. While it doesn't increase the "power" of my little machine, it sure made it more capable with digging. Those following my shop build thread will have already seen the excavation work I did over the past few days. I did need to loosen up things a bit with the backhoe for best efficiency, but still...I'd still likely only be half-way done without this toothbar on the Big Orange Power Tool. Kudos to BXpanded for their great attachments.

End result:

The inverse of the hole... :) :D

Alex Zeller
06-04-2022, 10:36 PM
Having teeth vs a flat bucket edge makes a world of difference when it comes to breaking up soil. I've never put one on my Kubota because I have a full size backhoe with teeth on the bucket.

John K Jordan
06-04-2022, 11:17 PM
Having teeth vs a flat bucket edge makes a world of difference when it comes to breaking up soil. I've never put one on my Kubota because I have a full size backhoe with teeth on the bucket.

Even with a toothed bucket on the skid steer breaking up hard soil is a royal pain. I end up using three things: the excavator to break up the soil and do the rough shaping, the skid steer to move the dirt around and compact the fill, and the tractor to get things smooth. I do this for myself and a few select neighbors - not the least interested in hauling all three somewhere to do a paying job!

Great job, Jim. That's a big task, especially with small equipment! Roots are the worst.

JKJ

Jim Becker
06-05-2022, 9:36 AM
Fortunately, there were not many roots and down at the back side, those that were there are from River Birch and quite soft. I'll need to employ the loppers to clean up the edge before I do the geotextile and stone, but none are embedded at this point.

What was really interesting was that there was a total of three small rocks in that whole area I excavated... I mean like less than 6" in diameter and just flat ones at that.

Alex Zeller
06-05-2022, 11:41 AM
Even with a toothed bucket on the skid steer breaking up hard soil is a royal pain. I end up using three things: the excavator to break up the soil and do the rough shaping, the skid steer to move the dirt around and compact the fill, and the tractor to get things smooth. I do this for myself and a few select neighbors - not the least interested in hauling all three somewhere to do a paying job!

Great job, Jim. That's a big task, especially with small equipment! Roots are the worst.

JKJ

I have one section of driveway that always gets baked into what seems like cement but it also gets large potholes in the summer. The only thing that can break it up is the backhoe. It has an 18" wide bucket and the force to get the teeth into the sunbaked dirt.

John K Jordan
06-05-2022, 12:11 PM

What was really interesting was that there was a total of three small rocks in that whole area I excavated... I mean like less than 6" in diameter and just flat ones at that.

You are fortunate. I often hit sizable rocks, mostly chert (in red clay).

Three times now I ran into “small” rocks while moving dirt that were like icebergs. One was just about an inch too high and by the time I got it out with the backhoe attachment on my tractor it was 3’x4’x5’. At least I could move it (skidding) with the skid steer.

Another time I decided do dig up an annoying lump preventing me from shaping a wood’s road the way I wanted it. That one turned out to be downright huge. To get it out of the ground I dug way down and made a big flat “shelf” on one side then dug a ramp on the other side so I could drive the skid steer down to the bottom of the rock. Then I was able to pry the rock up and roll and push it onto the shelf. Then I filled in the ramp to the new bottom of the rock and dug another, less deep shelf on the back side. Repeating this 3 or 4 times finally got the rock up to ground level where I could roll it down into the woods.

Anyone want a big rock or two just stop by. With a big enough truck or trailer. And maybe some big equipment for loading…

JKJ

Jim Becker
06-05-2022, 9:27 PM
It was weird, John, because at the old property, there were more rocks than soil. LOL I didn't even have any small ones to hold the flaps of the geotextile I installed today where I had to fold it back in the places where the auger will drill for the posts. I had to use clods of dry clay. Which have the consistency of rocks. Heh...heh...

Alex Zeller
06-05-2022, 9:39 PM
It was weird, John, because at the old property, there were more rocks than soil. LOL I didn't even have any small ones to hold the flaps of the geotextile I installed today where I had to fold it back in the places where the auger will drill for the posts. I had to use clods of dry clay. Which have the consistency of rocks. Heh...heh...

Landscaping spikes with flagging tape work great.

Alex Zeller
06-05-2022, 9:44 PM
The last thing I need is more rocks, well flat stackable ones would be nice but I think I grow the round ones. Last weekend's job was to pull this out of the driveway. Either it was moving up or the driveway is sinking and this rock was turning into a speed bump.

Jim Becker
06-06-2022, 9:39 AM
Landscaping spikes with flagging tape work great.
I did use the wire fasteners...but ran out of them. :)