PDA

View Full Version : Build a Shaker Style Table Project

steven c newman
04-27-2022, 5:09 PM
Had those planks of Ash....four at 7/8" x 5-1/2" x 77" and one at 7/8" x 5-1/2" x 48"......and figured I could try to build a Shaker Style Table, complete with a drawer....I remember way back when, during the New Yankee Workshop days, that Norm built such a table. Have to go strictly by memory, but......

Maybe cut a few blanks into 24" long sections...had to haul the 4 long boards to the shop, first..
Might be enough here? 26 linear feet. However, these are laying ON my tablesaw....and are a bit too long for the Mitreboxes....and there be some wavy, tapered edges to work around....get out the cordless saw!

Best place for me to doing the sawing, is on the end of my bench...
Where a clamp or two can hold things still....long enough to mark a line or 2...
Going to be a rough cut for length, anyway....I can come back later and square things up...right now I want 4 blanks...saw of choice?
Just an old Disston D-100 ( the 100 is inside of the "D").....
Nice long, easy strokes, use the full length. Thumb sits beside the saw plate, as a guide. The way things were working out, I was getting 2 blanks out of a board...a third would have been too short, plus the ends needed trimmed..
Try cutting a 1" strip off the end of a 2'+ board....
Not a problem. lay the 4 blanks out....
Panel is about 21" x 24"....and will need a little work, BEFORE the glue bottle can come out...

Was trying for best grain match, again. May try for a 20" x 20" square top, counting the bread board edges...we'll see.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
04-27-2022, 9:22 PM
In order to get this top glued up ...need to joint a few edges..
Set the 1st board up....and try a plane..
While this plane did work...it had issues with staying level....wanted to lean a tad...so, it got fired..
Replace with a Stanley No. 6c, Type 17 (WW2 Era) At least the edges are square..
And...no gaps in the joints..
Was soon able to try a dry fit of all 4 boards...

Figured I could go ahead and glue the panel up...
This end wasn't too bad, came out fairly flat...the other end had.....issues...
Nothing a caul and a few clamps couldn't handle....

will let this sit a spell....however, NOT on my tablesaw...
Moved it out of the way....as I will NEED the tablesaw for the next task.

This task took just about an hour...counting sweeping the floor when I was done....

Next task? Saw blanks for 4 legs....and getting those glued up, too.

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
04-28-2022, 10:54 AM
Blanks for the legs....Was going with a 24" length....decided a 20" will match the table, better....The 2 off-cuts from the first 2 planks....I can trim to 20" and get rid of
Split ends? These 2 would give enough for 3 legs....decided to trim Plank #3 for another blank..
I am not quite up to ripping by hand...and needed to get some wavy edges removed, anyway...first, I needed my tablesaw back...
Which meant this had to move over, out of the way....so I could set up a rip fence to 1.75"..more or less. Run the "best" edges along the fence...until I just barely peel off the wavy edges...couple spots I missed..as the wave went in....hmm, move the fence in a hair to fix that...
Wound up with these 9 blanks....will match things up grain wise...and the remaining "extra" will be a bread board end...
Will see how the grain matches up.

Bottle of glue, a roller to spread out the glue...on both faces, moosh them together,,,add a few clamps...and a hammer assist to line them up...
Quickly ran out of room on the tablesaw...so each leg was stashed over here, with the top.....letting these all sit a day or 2....will work on the legs, first....clean them up, square them up, make them all the same length......then see about a couple of tapers....on the inside faces....Have to watch how the grain will show, and where.

Don't have access to 8/4" Ash...so, this is how I make legs for tables......Besides, it seems to keep the legs from warping, better than using a single stick...

Stay tuned...Boss has errands to run...today....might get to the shop, this evening..:D

steven c newman
04-28-2022, 8:07 PM
Task for today....remove the clamps from the 4 leg blanks, clean off the dried glue...square the sides up, trim the ends square and have all 4 legs the same length...

A Craftsman (millers falls No.14) jack plane to remove the worst
Dried glue, and ridges...then start with the regular plane to square the sides up...
Stanley No. 6c....was finally able to get all 4 blanks cleaned and squared up...
Length is 19-1/2" long. all faces got a few swipes with the plane...had a few spots still roughsawn...

As long as they are all sitting there, might as well run a stop line all the way around them...6" down from the end..
This is where the taper will end, at the top of the leg. Down at the foot...I leave about 1"....looking for a 1" x 1" square footprint....then connect two points with a steel ruler..
Bandsaw to cut the line..
Rotate 90 degrees, and layout and saw the other taper...
Then the plane to clean off the saw marks..
One leg done...and will not need any sanding...

One done, 3 to go....tomorrow. Right leg was having issues, today.....kind of slowed me down a bit...Idea is to get the legs done, then work on the tabletop, and get it fitted for bread board ends...then work on 3 aprons and a drawer...might take a while, at this pace?

Stay tuned..:D

steven c newman
04-29-2022, 11:10 PM
Spent about 45 minutes this evening..
Marking out cuts..
Making the cuts with the bandsaw..
Hand plane to clean up the saw marks..
Still using that old Stanley No. 6c....date code on the iron..243...2nd quarter of 1943...
Had to keep track of where the tapers were going...
"T" is for Taper...helps when laying out the next cut..

A "before & after" shot....one taper has been planed, the next is sitting there, waiting it's turn..
Nice Cardio workout....needed 6 tapers done....Might work on the table's top, tomorrow....then see about a few aprons...

steven c newman
05-01-2022, 9:06 AM
Set the legs aside, for now....and remove the clamps and the caul from the table's top....
Leveling both faces....best looking will be the "show face"....coarse (80 grit) beltsander to lower the ridges at the glue joints...No.6c the smooth things out...

24" is a bit too long...so...top will be getting trimmed, at both edges...not spending all day hand sawing...and it is too big to saw on the tablesaw...so..."If the mountain can not come to..."
Rip fence comes to the "mountain"....circular saw is older than I am.....maybe an inch or so off this end....slap a bread board blank to that edge...figure out where to cut the other end, so that after tongues are milled ...the top with the attached bread board ends, will wind up at 20-1/2"......make a mark, and the remove the excess top.....

After all the work to flatten the panel...did not feel like setting up the Wards No. 78, to mill the tongues....rip fence was still "on-site" and the old DeWalt was still set up from the last table..so
Done in one pass...flip around, and do the other three passes..
Had to re-do the bread board ends a bit...blank used for set ups wasn't quite long enough....then mark the size of the groove to mill...a couple test fits...recut to get rid of a curved edge...Finally..
Glue smeared along all the tongues' surfaces...hammer taps to "set" the joints closed....then a few clamps.....

Yes, I do glue these in place, always have on these smaller, glued up tops....have yet to have a problem with it......including the table that set out IN the Gazebo last year...and was brought into the Living Room for the Winter....
Let this sit a day or 2...then come back and clean up the squeeze outs..

Next up? I need 3 aprons milled, and a drawer opening framed up....and then I can build a drawer....

steven c newman
05-01-2022, 9:03 PM
Table top came out of the clamps, today....
Areas around the bread board edges needed leveled...
Some areas more than others....corners were cut..
With a vintage sabre saw..
Beltsander to smooth the curves...

Wanted to lay out where the legs will be..
THEN I can figure out how long the aprons will be...16-3/4"..counting the 1/2" tenons on each end...
Means I get to do some Mortise and Tenon work next time in the shop...

Yes, that IS a brand..
As I do have an electric branding iron..

BANDIT'S

Dungeon

WOOD SHOP

One of those 4 blanks will be the drawer's front....will get to that, after the base is assembled...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-02-2022, 11:11 PM
Didn't want to open the shop up, tonight...being a Monday....but..needed to mill 6 tenons. And get those out of the way, before tomorrow.
Tenon is 8mm thick, and goes in a 1/2" deep mortise....set the tablesaw up accordingly...
Doing it this way...I make a series of passes...working my way towards the fence...with the last pass running against the fence. then rotate until all 6 tenons are sawn...then reset the blade height to 1/2", and do not move the fence....couple of passes....
The other 3 are on the other ends...

Goal here is to get the sides and the back so I can dry fit them to the legs.....then figure out what the drawer will be sliding on...and what sizes to make...
So...Tuesday's shop time will involve a 8mm Mortise chisel and a Mortise Jig...
Figure out which will be the back 2 legs, as they will get 2 mortises, and the front 2 legs will only get one mortise...for now..

Will see how long it takes to chop this down about 1/2" deep..in Ash

At least, I do get to sit on the shop stool the entire time....can rest up the right leg....

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-03-2022, 6:10 PM
Ok...takes about 20 minutes per mortise...counting laying each out..
Chopping out the waste...takes about 3 trips..
To get from this to...
This...along with the test fits to see IF I was down deep enough..
Then dry fit, to make sure I am connecting things in the right spots...
About 4 mortises...about 90 minutes, counting the clamping up...

Didn't feel like unclamping at the moment....went ahead an chopped of #5 mortise....and called it a day....almost 2 hours...work area?
With a shop fan blowing on me, still worked up a sweat...decided to just stop...strop up the chisels to get them ready for the next session....

Will need my tablesaw back, to mill the next parts....might get to glue things up in a day or 3...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-04-2022, 6:30 PM
2 hours in the shop, today....5 more joints to do....wood joints, that is..

I needed 2 sticks...
These needed to match the aprons in length...counting the tenons....tenons are marked. One will become the divider the drawer rides on, and will get a tenon on each end. The other stick will go above the drawer opening, and use a dovetail to help hold the legs in place..so...that's 2 mortises, and 2 sockets to chop out. I used the Apron to locate the bottom line....as the bottom of the aprons and the divider have to match up at the legs...First, I then need to mill the tenon...to lay out where the mortise will go...
Tried the bandsaw at the other end, before using a handsaw and a chisel for this end...6 of one,half dozen of the other sort of thing...anyway was able to chop a hole,,,,after making sure I was in the right spot...remember the thing about that "T" at the top of the legs..
And, kept checking to see IF I am deep enough.....
Had a couple crumbs down inside, holding things up, again. Decided to do one leg at a time...which means a tail needed to be done..
Something is not looking right...hmmm...
Accused of having a Fat Tail?....trimmed things back to the red lines...then a Black Sharpie..
Simple...LEAVE the black lines....
Dry fit....Then repeat for the other front leg..

Stay tuned for Part 2...:D

steven c newman
05-04-2022, 6:42 PM
Ok..Mortise for the other tenon wasn't all that hard to do....LOTS of chopping, though. As for the dovetail socket...perhaps a more "refined way"
Oh, I did use the same saw...but, instead of relying just on chisels alone..
I also used a Kerf Chisel. Made things a little easier to get the waste out....took a few test fits, before the tail would go in....without trying to split things...

Ok...one more mortise to chop and test fit...
Then over to the rest of the parts, and do a full dry fit..
Looking for spots that may need a little fine tuning...

Not sure about the direction of the side aprons' grain..
Run it like this, or run it the other way...back apron is basically straight grained...

As for the Mortise Jig..
I think I can set it aside, for now....consists of 3 scraps of Pine, and 6 screws....all those holes are for adjusting the "jaws" to fit next part being clamped up..and 2 countersunk holes for 2 screws, to attach this jig to the top of the bench's leg.

A start on the drawer..tomorrow? Or, try for a glue up of the base of this table...

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
05-05-2022, 3:39 PM
This morning..knocked the parts apart....worked on problem areas..
Like this, and sand off all the pencil marks...decided to glue up the sides
Moved the rest of the parts off the tablesaw....drawer front milled to size, drawer sides milled to size...came time to milled a back for the drawer....7/8" is a bit too thick, so...
That seems to be a bit better....

Milled some strips for drawer runners...and then glued them in place..
Was getting in too big of a hurry.....this strip USED to be on the outside....not good....will have to scrape the outside back to bare wood, later....

Then decided to mill two thin strips...
These will go along the inside of the sides, to guide the drawer.

Waiting on glue to dry......maybe tomorrow, I can assemble the base...involves the back apron, the 2 front dividers, and 4 corner blocks....haven't decided on any kicker, yet...

Then, maybe...I can start the Drawer Build 101?

Will use a dado to house the back....drawer bottom will be a 1/4" thick plywood panel....set into grooves in the sides and front.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-06-2022, 10:03 AM
Well...last night, tried to make 4 parts....plan was to just use Pine 1 x 2s to make the corner glue blocks....several problems got in the way...
Turned out, this saw was DULL...(found out the one in the background is sharp..afterwards)
Tried the tablesaw, set the mitre gauge to 45 degrees...thought I had it tight.....angles in the Pine parts were NOT coming out right...seems the mitre gauge was moving with each pass :mad:
Got that issue fixed...but was out of Pine....dug around for some scraps of Ash/Oak....had to jig the Mitre gauge...as the scraps were a bit short..
And checked after each cut..
Then drill and counter sink each part...

I place these into each top corner of a table's base...both to help pull it square ( glued and screws) and for a place for a slotted hole, so I can attach the top to the base.

Next up? Hopefully I have the right length of screws. Bad form when the point of a screw pokes through to the outside..:eek:
IF I have those screws on hand...I MIGHT try to assemble the base, today.....maybe tomorrow I can start on that drawer...

I doubt if The Shakers used that "London Pattern" for their dovetailed drawers....will see how things go....

steven c newman
05-06-2022, 4:12 PM
Calling it Friday's Follies.....start a glue up..
About the only space in the shop for this sort of thing.....F style clamps were not getting things done...we have ways..
Bring out the BIG clamps...fun part was next....setting this mess down onto the floor..
Double checked for square...ran out of the right sized screws....so..
They are known as Glue Blocks for a reason...when the correct screws arrive, I'll add them...might want to tip-toe when you walk by...:rolleyes:

Next on the "to-do list"?
Transform these parts into a drawer...

steven c newman
05-07-2022, 5:34 PM
Hmmm, had a "Gulley-washer" of a rain storm come through last night...this morning I went to the shop...
And found that the Dungeon Creek had risen a bit...
Took the clamps off the base...and set it up to allow the feet to dry....while I jointed the drawer front..
Making shavings,,
Test fit a few times...
Hey, it fits!...had to do the drawer sides, too
Until they also fit. Issue? those corner glue blocks hang down a hair. Hmmm, IF I arrange things just right...and get the sides to slide under the blocks, but not the drawer front....that should prevent the drawer from sliding in too far....

Had to re-arrange a few things in the shop....clean off the top of the Clothes Dryer,,,move the tablesaw out of the way...and bring out..
The shop's Router Table.....rip fence from the tablesaw also works quite well with this.
There are Start & STOP lines marked out....merely have to move the fence as needed..
Stay tuned for part 2.....had 2 hours IN the shop, today..

steven c newman
05-07-2022, 5:45 PM
Ran the drawer front a few times, milling both ends....Had had enough hand chopping dovetails..
Pins first, of course...then over to the bench
Lay out the tails, saw, leaving the lines by cutting on the waste side...THEN the chisel went back to work....chop out the waste..clean things up, try a dry fit..
Had some crumbs in the back to clean out..kept at it...more test fits, until..
BOTH corners looked like this....whew...
Decided to at least get a plane ready for tomorrow...
Stanley No. 45....the reset was it was still set up to mill beads....change cutter, move the fence a bit...
It is now set up to plough a 1/4" x 1/4" groove...1/4" in from the bottom edges of the front and sides....to house a plywood panel for the bottom of the drawer

Will need to mill the dados at the back to house the drawer's back....then try to assemble this drawer with glue and clamps....and maybe a few screws....should be a fun day?:rolleyes:

Stay tuned:D

steven c newman
05-08-2022, 8:58 AM
Late last night...had to run down to the basement...Boss needed something.....Couldn't help it, just had to try the plane out...jigged up the drawer front..had to back off the cutter one turn..
Came back later to take that photo....did it again..
That candle seemed to speed things up...and the other drawer side went from..
To about 3 minutes later..
Then decided to reset the other Stanley No. 45...
To get it ready to mill 2 dados

Hmmm, long rods are too long, but the short rods are too short...

Back of the drawer will sit in dados, glued and screwed in place..

Yep, dangerous to actually send me TO the basement....stay tuned :D

steven c newman
05-09-2022, 10:27 AM
Dados are done..
Spurs are in bad shape,,,used the dovetail saw to just saw the walls of the dado...45 to remove most of the waste...
And the #71-1/2 to level the floor, as the #45 wanted to tilt..a lot...Dry fit..3 times...to finally get the drawer back the right size..
Went to size the plywood bottom panel....panel on hand was not big enough.....trip to Lowes before they closed...$7.38 for a 1/4" x 24" x 24" plywood panel...that I could cut down to the right size...

The bottom corners of the sides, where the drawer first slides in at..
Get a "Starter Bevel"...I also checked for square..

So...the tasks for today...drill and counter sink for screws in the dados ( I do not rely on glue alone) glue and clamps and screws to hold the bottom to the back.. Let that sit for the day.

Have the proper screws for the corner blocks...install them, today. Drill slotted holes in the corner blocks. Mill the drawer guides to proper thickness, and glue in place. May champfer the bottom edge of the top...but, no other "fancy" stuff. Sounds like a rather full day IN the shop?

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
05-09-2022, 5:49 PM
Drawer has been glued up..
Screws were added to the back glue blocks..
Proper screws, proper screwdriver...North Brothers 135
Slots drilled to attach the base to the top...
Drawer Guides glued in place...

Spent a whopping (according to my right leg) 90 minutes in the shop, today...

Waiting on all the glue to dry.

steven c newman
05-11-2022, 1:25 AM
Will have to wait a day or two, but..
We getting there..

steven c newman
05-11-2022, 3:04 PM
1st coat of Amber Shellac is on....table and drawer...waiting to see how it turns out, now...

steven c newman
05-11-2022, 4:03 PM
Between the glare of the overhead lights..
And this table does not stand all that tall..
Makes it hard to get a decent PIP..
Yes, I even shellacked the drawer...
Will work on this tomorrow....maybe one more coat, before the varnish goes on...

steven c newman
05-13-2022, 9:23 PM
update....
1st coat rubbed out...2nd coat of amber shellac has been brushed on...

will take a picture or 2 later...not much change..spots I had missed on the 1st coat, now taken care of..

stay tuned

steven c newman
05-15-2022, 8:52 AM
Coat #2 has been steel wooled...will get a wipe down, later today...and then a coat of "Warm Gloss" poly will get brushed on...

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
05-16-2022, 8:27 AM
1st coat of varnish has dried, been hand-sanded @180 grit....I need to take an old T-shirt to the shop, later...and rub down, wipe off the table and drawer....then see about a 2nd coat of varnish...

Film at 2300 hrs...

steven c newman
05-17-2022, 1:36 PM
Gloss varnish has been rubbed out..table is DONE :D And will be heading out to the Gazebo...

William Lessenberry
05-18-2022, 12:22 AM
Another job well done. I'm amazed at how quickly you finish your projects. You have a lot more focus and perseverance than I do.
BillL

John Kananis
05-18-2022, 12:52 AM
Nice project.