PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Laser Ruler, mm?

Derek Arita
04-27-2022, 12:17 PM
I'm looking for a laser ruler that is affordable and accurate. Anyone have knowledge of one?

ChrisA Edwards
04-27-2022, 1:33 PM
Not quite sure what a laser ruler is, but I have one of these, Bosch Blaze GLM50C. It seems accurate to 10th's of a mm, but as it's handheld, there is operator error in keeping it still.

I often use it to set up drawer widths after a cabinet carcass build. It's easy to measure the internal width at the front and rear of the cabinet, to adjust if the cabinet sides are a little out of parallel.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/7168TsuH-zL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BOSCH Blaze GLM50C

Derek Arita
04-27-2022, 2:34 PM
I say a laser ruler, but maybe caliper is more to the points. Everything I'm measuring is around a foot and under. Accuracy to the 100th is preferred, however tenth of a mm might do.

Richard Coers
04-27-2022, 2:48 PM
Do you mean a digital caliper? https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-digital-caliper-58231.html

Derek Arita
04-27-2022, 3:33 PM
No. I want to use it to measure short distances in mm, like under a foot.

Jim Becker
04-27-2022, 4:42 PM
A decent digital caliper would likely fit the bill, at least for about 150 mm and shorter. You may have a challenge getting one that goes to 300mm. Laser measuring systems tend to be focused on the construction trade and while latest generations are "pretty darn accurate", the device itself has to fit within the distance to be measured.

Derek Arita
04-27-2022, 6:14 PM
A decent digital caliper would likely fit the bill, at least for about 150 mm and shorter. You may have a challenge getting one that goes to 300mm. Laser measuring systems tend to be focused on the construction trade and while latest generations are "pretty darn accurate", the device itself has to fit within the distance to be measured.

Makes sense. I must be dreaming. I have a few digital calipers that do the job, but for what I'm using it for, a laser "ruler" would be perfect. Oh well...I'll dream on...

Frank Pratt
04-27-2022, 6:24 PM
Laser distance meters are not really suitable for woodshop use. Even the most accurate ones have the same error weather measuring short or long distances. I have a Leica Disto that was over $800 and has an accuracy of +/- 1mm, but that's the same whether measuring 1m or 180m. There are many less expensive that are as accurate, but the Leica has a built in zoom camera that allows you to see your target under conditions that make it impossible to see the laser dot.

Richard Coers
04-27-2022, 8:53 PM
No. I want to use it to measure short distances in mm, like under a foot.
Don't you mean under 305mm. I have yet to see a laser that can measure a flat board. I've only see shooting between walls.

Jerry Wright
04-27-2022, 9:40 PM
I wonder how the craftsmen who built the furniture at Winterthur managed?

mike stenson
04-27-2022, 10:14 PM
I wonder how the craftsmen who built the furniture at Winterthur managed?
Pinch rods?

Jerry Wright
04-28-2022, 4:59 AM
Probably. They still work!

Rod Sheridan
04-28-2022, 7:30 AM
Pinch rods?

Exactly, that’s how I do it.

I bought the Lee Valley fittings and made 4 different length flat bars for it, extremely easy to use and you can carry it to the saw and set a stop for cutting…..Regards, Rod

Jim Becker
04-28-2022, 9:53 AM
For those wondering why a digital measurement might be attractive...for some of us, it's about our eyes.

Frank Pratt
04-28-2022, 10:22 AM
For those wondering why a digital measurement might be attractive...for some of us, it's about our eyes.

That's exactly why I got a digital readout for my table saw. So much less eye strain.

Richard Coers
04-28-2022, 11:18 AM
Digital I get, laser I don't.

Dave Roock
04-28-2022, 12:31 PM
Exactly, that’s how I do it.

I bought the Lee Valley fittings and made 4 different length flat bars for it, extremely easy to use and you can carry it to the saw and set a stop for cutting…..Regards, Rod

I checked those out, think I will get. How do you use them as a stop ? Clamp ?

Halgeir Wold
04-28-2022, 4:02 PM
Sounds like a caliper of sorts is what is needed... Mitutoyo makes all sorts of versions, but they are not in the cheap end...
Google found a 12" version for around 50 $......

Jim Becker
04-28-2022, 4:46 PM
Digital I get, laser I don't.
Yea, for fine woodworking, it's not really workable. But these things have gotten really good and are being extremely helpful to builders and remodelers for sure. This is particularly true where there's a lot of variation, for example, in wall height across a space.

Rod Sheridan
04-28-2022, 6:25 PM
I checked those out, think I will get. How do you use them as a stop ? Clamp ?

Hi, sorry for the confusing post, I use them to set the stop on the crosscut fence, one end against the blade tooth, other sets the croscut stop.

You can set the rip fence the same way.

If you need a measurement a machinist square or steel rule work great................Regards, Rod

Dave Roock
04-28-2022, 7:46 PM
Hi, sorry for the confusing post, I use them to set the stop on the crosscut fence, one end against the blade tooth, other sets the croscut stop.

You can set the rip fence the same way.

If you need a measurement a machinist square or steel rule work great................Regards, Rod

Thanks Rod, I kind of figured that out after I asked but learned something useful & good today. I bought the Rockler version due to 3 different end uses & included rods. Have used good tape measure for many years - room for a little some improvement. 8 > )

Jack Frederick
04-29-2022, 2:59 PM
Richard, I asked a question about “vernier calipers” a couple weeks ago and the HF you show in your post was suggested. We have a new HF down the road a piece so I stopped in and bought the calipers. They are giving me fluctuating readings however. I have been very careful of operator error. My next trip to Auburn I’ll be returning them.

Jim Becker
04-29-2022, 3:25 PM
I started with a "not expensive" digital caliper and ended upgrading to the iGuaging version which has been excellent but still isn't expensive.