PDA

View Full Version : I'm telling everyone!

Darryl Masterson
01-19-2006, 10:38 PM
ok I can admit, I'm a bit on the excited side tonight! You see it's not the typical turning project that got done today. I helped my daughter turn her first project today. She made a pen with a bird's eye maple blank that I had ready. Oh and did I mention that she's 5?!?

She had a blast! As did I. I showed her how to hold the gouge and approach the spinning blank. She sanded it down herself and we applied the BEHLEN woodturner's finish. She did great! take a look:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1858/1669/1600/assistant01.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1858/1669/1600/assistant04.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1858/1669/1600/assistant05.jpg

Before she went to sleep tonight she told her mom that she wants to make another tomorrow. She likes the looks of Padauk and Purpleheart, so I guess I'll be getting some more blanks ready to go!

Travis Stinson
01-19-2006, 10:58 PM
That's too cool!:D :D :D
Welcome aboard Darryl.

Bill Stevener
01-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Darryl.
That's quite young to get started. For some reason I can't get your photos up on my magic window??

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Darryl Masterson
01-19-2006, 11:28 PM
I was more nervous about mom's reaction to letting her use the lathe than anything else. She really did a great job of focusing on what she was doing and listening to my instructions.

I had a heck of a time trying to get the pictures to load in the first place...

Here's a link to my woodworking blog that has all the pictures:
http://woodworkingdungeon.blogspot.com/

Bill Stevener
01-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Just cracks me up Darryl, thanks for showing, she's a kick.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dennis Peacock
01-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Congrats Darryl...!!!! Great "project" you had there. It's always great to share your ww'ing with your kinds. I've got a 10 year old son who LOVES to turn "head knockers" as he calls them, on the lathe and now he's bugging me to teach him how to turn a bowl. Very nice pen and congratulate your daughter on a very fine job she did on the pen.:D

Bernie Weishapl
01-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Congrats Darryl. She did a fine job for 5 years old. Enjoy while you can because they grow up fast.

Pat Jeddy
01-20-2006, 3:17 AM
Your daughters are lucky future women. Good for them and Thank goodness for you. Keep it up!

Glenn Clabo
01-20-2006, 5:45 AM
No pics! One of the problems with not downloading your pics to SMC.

John Hart
01-20-2006, 7:38 AM
Way to go Darryl! She looks like a happy camper. Sheesh..5 years old! Mine just got their first shot at it and they are 10 and 11. The kids sure love it though. (and get to hang out with Daddy);) Congratulations!:)

Oh...By the way...Welcome to the Creek!!!!!

John Miliunas
01-20-2006, 7:57 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Darryl and a BIG CONGRATS to your daughter for spinning off her first pen! I'm quite sure that's just the first of many! But you know what this means, don't you? That big smile and the yearn to learn may very well have Dad looking for a second lathe!!!! :D :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
01-20-2006, 8:55 AM
Darryl, WELCOME! You have joined a great forum!

I can't see the pics, probably the stupid blocker at work. However, I am sure you're proud!! I can't wait for my daughter to get to the age she can help in the shop!

Mark Cothren
01-20-2006, 9:03 AM
Congratulations Darryl! I also can't see the pics, but bet they look great...

John Hart
01-20-2006, 9:20 AM
I just tried something guys. If you right click where the pic is supposed to be, and click on properties, you will see the web address where that picture is. Copy that address and paste it in your browser and it'll show you the picture. From then on, the picture shows up in the thread as well. Hmmm :confused:

Rich Stewart
01-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Way to go Darryl. It's great getting the kids going on projects like that. I was afraid I was losing touch with my son. He was always playing video games and with his buddies. We have been turning together now and hanging out in the workshop. I LOVE it. Only problem I see is I am going to have to get him his own lathe someday. I can't get on mine anymore. Haha Keep it up and send lots of pics.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Well that is weird!! I did the same thing and they now show up. The blog probably doesnt' allow remote linking?

Anyway, here they are as attachements to this thread...

Bill Stevener
01-20-2006, 11:23 AM
This may work so all can see. How he do that??:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jeff Sudmeier
01-20-2006, 11:25 AM
LOL!! Bill you and I both had the same idea :)

Bill Stevener
01-20-2006, 11:28 AM
LOL!! Bill you and I both had the same idea :)

Hi Jeff, I was just coming back with the same thought. Folks will now think they are seeing double. :D . We best get together next time, before we try this.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bill Stevener
01-20-2006, 11:33 AM
This little gal is going to become a celebrity before she is six. :)

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Darryl Masterson
01-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I've read quite a bit here before posting and all of you comments on pen turning and pictures have really helped in getting me going.

thanks also for reposting the pics not sure why they weren't showing up for everyone. Don't you just love technology?!?

my wife is heading out for the day tomorrow so we should have plenty of time for more turning then! I'll let you know how it goes.

tod evans
01-20-2006, 12:58 PM
welcome to the creek, both of you!

Keith Burns
01-20-2006, 1:45 PM
Welcome to the Creek !! As you have already noticed, you won't find a better place to hang your hat. Great job on involving your daughter, she is off to a great start:). I think we are all a bunch of mushy guys here and love the family stuff.

Dale Thompson
01-20-2006, 9:32 PM
Darryl,
I suppose that the instructional classes that she is giving are all filled up. If not, please let me know!! ;) :) Hey proud papa, how does it feel to have a young lady who is CUTE, TALENTED AND PRETTY?? :) I've always been PRETTY but the rest have unfortunately been beyond my reach. :( :o

CONGRATULATIONS!! :) :D

Dale T.

Jim Becker
01-20-2006, 9:50 PM
Most excellent!! I'm really hoping one or both of my girls learn to enjoy turning and/or woodworking. It's a wonderful hobby or more...

Ernie Nyvall
01-21-2006, 1:39 PM
That's great Darryl. Congratulations on getting her started. She did a fine job.

Ernie

Chip Sutherland
01-22-2006, 12:01 AM
I kept my Jet Mini after I upgraded obstensibly as a dedicated Beall station and back up lathe....but secretly, I'm hoping my youngest daughter will want to give it a try. She's 9, total tom boy...black belt in karate and the kid loves to use a sanding block....but it's piqued her interest yet.