PDA

View Full Version : work in progress

ROBERT SCHUMAN
01-19-2006, 10:37 PM
here are two newels I am working on ,the core is 7 1/2 inches ,48 inches tall .they are made of Alder and will have a walnut cap when finished.
the base and top wrap are alder the detail is fit to the round part of the newel for a smooth transition.always apreciate any comments.
Happy turning!

Keith Outten
01-20-2006, 6:07 AM
Robert,

The newels are really nice, tell us about the lathe you turned them on. I can see the lathe in the background of your pictures, it doesn't look like anything I have ever seen.

Dick Parr
01-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm with Keith, what kind is it. Really nice job on the newels

Chris Barton
01-21-2006, 9:36 AM
Wow! Those are huge pen blanks you got there! I like the others would like to hear more about your lathe and you business of making large turnings. To my knowledge, we don't have any productions turners posting about making architechural pieces.

Ernie Nyvall
01-21-2006, 1:49 PM
Nice job on the newels Robert. That is an interesting looking lathe.

Ernie

ROBERT SCHUMAN
01-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Robert,

The newels are really nice, tell us about the lathe you turned them on. I can see the lathe in the background of your pictures, it doesn't look like anything I have ever seen.

The lathe is a hydrolic duplicator, it can duplicate up to 6 inches well, after that Im hand turning,it can flute, rope, and twist.It is made by hapfo a german company.Its max lenght is eight feet.I am currently in the process of buying a fourteen foot Oliver for columns and big face plate work.If you guys have specific questions I would gladly answer them.
Happy turning!