PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Delta drill press, recent acquisition

Dan McGonigle
04-22-2022, 4:53 PM
I got, what I think, is a deal of a lifetime yesterday - a vintage Delta DP220, in dirty, but very good, running condition. I've been looking around for one for a while, a found it at an estate sale. I paid so little for it, I kind of feel guilty. I'm having a hard time getting an exact year on it. The information on VintageMachinery has serial number lists starting in 1942 or 1943 - those numbers begin with "13-xxxx". My serial number is "10-9204". My guess is its a 1940? That guess is based on a DP220 I saw on another forum that the owner claimed was a 1939 - with a serial number beginning "5-xxxx", and another the owner claimed was a 1940 with number beginning "10-xxxx", just like mine. My question is how these owners found the date of their pre-1942 machine. Not that it matters, but it would be nice to verify.

Secondly, aside from a thorough cleaning, I plan on replacing the 2 wire power cord with a modern, grounded, cord. Anything else I should look for or consider doing? Does anyone know of a source for a drill press task light of similar vintage? This one does not have one.

Thanks for reading!

Mike Kees
04-22-2022, 10:55 PM
OWWM is the place to find everything from information to parts.

David Buchhauser
04-23-2022, 4:58 AM
I got, what I think, is a deal of a lifetime yesterday - a vintage Delta DP220, in dirty, but very good, running condition. I've been looking around for one for a while, a found it at an estate sale. I paid so little for it, I kind of feel guilty. I'm having a hard time getting an exact year on it. The information on VintageMachinery has serial number lists starting in 1942 or 1943 - those numbers begin with "13-xxxx". My serial number is "10-9204". My guess is its a 1940? That guess is based on a DP220 I saw on another forum that the owner claimed was a 1939 - with a serial number beginning "5-xxxx", and another the owner claimed was a 1940 with number beginning "10-xxxx", just like mine. My question is how these owners found the date of their pre-1942 machine. Not that it matters, but it would be nice to verify.

Secondly, aside from a thorough cleaning, I plan on replacing the 2 wire power cord with a modern, grounded, cord. Anything else I should look for or consider doing? Does anyone know of a source for a drill press task light of similar vintage? This one does not have one.

Thanks for reading!

Photos please.
David

Dan McGonigle
04-23-2022, 9:30 AM
I haven’t touched it since I placed it in the garage. Very dirty, I think it will clean up very well.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-23-2022, 9:50 AM
I converted a Non vintage desk lamp for mine. An old one is on my list for the flea market and antique mall. Congratulations, That is a nice tool!

Phil Gaudio
04-23-2022, 4:20 PM
You might consider changing the bearings on the quill and in the motor. Here is a source for old Delta DP parts:

http://www.hammerscale.com

David Buchhauser
04-24-2022, 3:42 AM
I haven’t touched it since I placed it in the garage. Very dirty, I think it will clean up very well.

Dan - thanks for the photos! That looks like a great vintage drill press in very good shape. I think you could look around on Ebay for a vintage looking task/work lamp to match your new tool. Great find!
David

Walter Plummer
04-24-2022, 9:04 AM
Amazing find. Do you have any idea how rare it is to find a drill press table without at least one "extra" hole drilled in it? It also has a Quill lock, another under rated feature that has become all but extinct. From what I have read and heard a genuine Delta light would cost more than the drill press. Enjoy it.

Mike Kees
04-24-2022, 11:08 AM
My version of dirty must be different than yours ! That is a really nice looking machine. like Walter says a table without "the ring of shame" is amazing for the age of that machine. Did this come from a single user who owned it for most of his life ? Does not look like it was really used very much, if at all. Congratulations on finding a great machine.

Dan McGonigle
04-24-2022, 10:55 PM
You might consider changing the bearings on the quill and in the motor. Here is a source for old Delta DP parts:

http://www.hammerscale.com

thats a great site, thank you!

Dan McGonigle
04-24-2022, 10:58 PM
Amazing find. Do you have any idea how rare it is to find a drill press table without at least one "extra" hole drilled in it? It also has a Quill lock, another under rated feature that has become all but extinct. From what I have read and heard a genuine Delta light would cost more than the drill press. Enjoy it.

I found a genuine Delta task light on ebay for something like $130. It was just the bulb housing though, no gooseneck.

Rick Potter
04-25-2022, 2:54 AM
I had a benchtop version of that. Bought it from my dad, and eventually gave it to my son. New in 1954, from Western Auto, I believe.

I got a metal reading lamp with a clamp, meant for attaching to a bed headboard, years ago. Took the clamp off, made a simple bracket that attached to that tab you show in your pic. Looked pretty factory for ten bucks. I think you can still find those lamps new. Wired it to the switch.

Did the same thing with my Delta 14" bandsaws years ago.

Charles Taylor
04-25-2022, 7:18 AM
I found a genuine Delta task light on ebay for something like $130. It was just the bulb housing though, no gooseneck.

Be aware that the Delta task light of that era was mounted with an articulating arm, not a gooseneck.
A gooseneck does offer a lot more flexibility in positioning, of course.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-25-2022, 10:40 AM
Mine is a smaller version. It came from a Homecraft table saw, jointer, drill press combo. I like the looks of the OEM light. My granny gear is rather goofy but it works great.

478166 478167

Steven Cooper2
04-25-2022, 6:07 PM
Nice, I take it yours is a single phase? I have a 1942-ish but at some point it had a 3 phase motor put on it. I put a VFD on it and it's great.

What's the SN tag material?

I'm using a HFT lamp for now, but do plan on doing something nicer. I've been going through and stripping off some horrid green paint when I have time for some machinery grey.

Dan McGonigle
04-26-2022, 9:34 PM
My version of dirty must be different than yours ! That is a really nice looking machine. like Walter says a table without "the ring of shame" is amazing for the age of that machine. Did this come from a single user who owned it for most of his life ? Does not look like it was really used very much, if at all. Congratulations on finding a great machine.

I think it must have. I picked up a few other odds and ends at this estate sale. There was a really cool 1950s era Craftsman table saw that looked in pristine condition. I hope that finds a home.