PDA

View Full Version : Need a mobile base for my planar, buy or build one?

Miksa de Sorgo
04-21-2022, 2:54 PM
I’ve been looking at all the options and lots of reviews have been commenting about issues with the casters. I’ve looked at the Jet, HTC, Bora, Grizzly, and so many others. All the machinery I got so far already were mobile, or converted in some way or form so I don’t have a lot of experience with what would be good or not. I do like the Bora base, I like it’s locking mechanism idea, but in the back of my mind these are fairly simple designs, I’m tempted to take a crack at building one myself. I have Zambus casters on my bandsaw and they are fantastic, so was almost thinking using those. They’re expensive but oh so sweet. Plus got a new welder as I have been learning to do that as well, buddy of mine does it for a living so he’s teaching me. So build one or buy one? Benefits, just put it together and I’m good to go or build one and have it do exactly what I want, but just more time consuming. It’s a Jet 20” planar, 650ish lbs, the only concern would be making it strong enough. Figured maybe I would need to do some math, or just over engineer it. My friend would be available for the welding, so the welds would be done right. Just seems like a good opportunity to learn. But like I’ve posted before, I work too much, my free time is limited, I’m still organizing the garage and getting it setup. Would the Bora be suitable? Almost hate to add another project to the king list. Got the tools but still working 14-17 hour days to make sure I have enough for materials lol. So with that regard would something like a Bora be suitable, could the casters be swapped if they didn’t work for me? Anyone have suggestions for something else for similar size planer or equipment 650lbs or heavier? Thanks!

Dave Roock
04-21-2022, 7:11 PM
Definitely build your own.

Roderick Gentry
04-21-2022, 8:57 PM
I did a long reply for this, but it got eaten. I made my own base for a tool I could not find a stand for, and it was an easy project. If you have any specific questions, fire away.

John C Bush
04-21-2022, 9:00 PM
I have built several mobile bases using Zambus clones(Great Lakes Casters IIRC). Your pro welder friend can easily guide you and may have access to scrap metal as well. I used 3" x 1/4" angle and just made a frame-dropped in 3/4" ply for my 900# 20" Griz. I used short pieces of the angle welded to the outside for the casters. Can send pics if helpful.

Dave Roock
04-21-2022, 10:15 PM
I built one out of 2"x 12" - 26 inches - yellow pine - glued 2 pieces together , with 6 inch 1/2" steel dowels inserted. Used some scraps of 3/4" Red Oak ply underneath , glued down heavy & screwed into place. Some excellent casters = all about $65 total. Going to throw Grizzly/Shop Fox base into recycle bin & build another of same. Amazing how woodworkers just order those cheap garbage made in China mobile bases ( Guilty of that myself) . No more of that allowed here.

Todd Bender
04-21-2022, 11:04 PM
I have shopfox and bora. I use the bora for heavier machines, but the shopfox is rated for 1200lbs and is $118.00 on Amazon. I can make way more money building cabinets in the time it would take me to build my own mobile base.

Howard Rosenberg
04-21-2022, 11:22 PM
This guy has the simplest, most elegant shop-built solution I've seen -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei3ADzfbxBE

Rod Sheridan
04-22-2022, 7:31 AM
Make a semi live skid design with a tow bar.

Make it out of 1 1/2” X 1 1/2” angle, build it so the base is 1/4” above the floor, far better than casters….Rod

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?88687-Hammer-A3-31-Mobile-Base

Tom Trees
04-22-2022, 9:54 AM
Once you use a single point/pedal lever design, you'll not go back, bit of a PITA having to jack from four points.
Note the pedal change
1 didn't have any really heavy gauge 40mm box, so strip was welded onto pedal to make it blunter.
2 More area on the underside to stop the pedal going beyond 90.
Either is a recipe that'll get stuck and cut your boots!
You can use a wrecking bar to sort that out, bit awkward, and especially so if the machine is against the wall.
https://i.postimg.cc/tRKKSQc1/base-v2.jpg

Jared Sankovich
04-22-2022, 10:36 AM
A pallet jack works better than the mobile bases.

Tom Trees
04-22-2022, 12:34 PM
A pallet jack works better than the mobile bases.
Maybe for you, I've got too many reasons why I wouldn't want one.

Michael Schuch
04-22-2022, 12:43 PM
30 years ago I built the base for my 15" planer with 4" locking casters. In that 30 years I don't believe the casters have been locked once. The weight of the machine with the rubber covered cast iron casters is more than enough to keep it in place, no need to lock the wheels too.

Jared Sankovich
04-22-2022, 1:02 PM
Maybe for you, I've got too many reasons why I wouldn't want one.

Other than storage when not in use I can't think of one. Overall they are cheaper assuming you have more than one machine you want to move. Also better weight capacity.

Tom Trees
04-23-2022, 11:18 AM
Other than storage when not in use I can't think of one. Overall they are cheaper assuming you have more than one machine you want to move. Also better weight capacity.

You obviously have more space than I do Jared, not that putting it away would be the big issue,
its the fact that I'd have to move everything else to get space to move something, and even then pallet jack not quite as nifty/easy to move.

I ain't so tall either, so don't want machines too high.
another part of that is my bandsaw is already fairly tall, and in a rented place headroom being a factor for future consideration.

Living in the wild west of machine rustlers, I don't wanna make it easy for someone to wheel my kit away, so really cheap casters will hopefully break
if wheeled over that concrete I put around the door:D

Weight capacity isn't a concern for me, don't think something a half tonne would suit me, transport, manoeuvrability (within the space I have) electrics
and doesn't fit in with being quiet as possible for most of the time needs.

Probably could think of other reasons, but likely none of the above are of any relevance to most folk.

Tom

Paul Haus
04-23-2022, 11:27 AM
30 years ago I built the base for my 15" planer with 4" locking casters. In that 30 years I don't believe the casters have been locked once. The weight of the machine with the rubber covered cast iron casters is more than enough to keep it in place, no need to lock the wheels too.
I've made several mobile bases for various machines over the years and had not had a need to use the locks on those with locking wheels on them. Only reason I bought the locking wheels I have is I bought them on sale at a price for less than the nonlocking ones.

Tom M King
04-23-2022, 1:01 PM
A planer mobile base is a good one to have all swivel casters on. When we run a batch of a bunch of pieces, we stack them outside the outfeed, spin the planer around in place, and run any that need more passes the other way, as many times as needed. Since a planer pulls the pieces through itself, if it will stay in place without locking the casters, there is no need to lock them.

Alex Zeller
04-23-2022, 3:46 PM
I have a Shop Fox under my 20" Grizzly. I think it weighs around 800lbs. I could have built something but not for the price of the SF (when I bought them). But making something out of wood would of made it higher than I wanted. Making something out of steel just means one more project when I already have too many projects. Unfortunately buying steel is a couple hour process because nothing is close. Finding good casters is also an issue. I haven't had good luck with Harbor Freight casters and that's about the only thing local. Casters are on of those things that you kind of need to hold in your hand to get a feel for the quality IMO.

Jack Frederick
04-24-2022, 10:20 AM
I think Rod’s plan is the best design. If you can do a nice clean job cutting the angle iron and get a good fit up it will be a good beginner welding process for you. Try to have your friend assist with the machine set-up. If you plan on getting into the metal a bit more I’d suggest picking up the Evolution 14” chop saw.

Rob Sack
04-24-2022, 12:23 PM
I have used all three methods at one time or another. For my Hitachi planer, which is short, I built a mobile base using beams left over from a building project. I used heavy duty commercial casters. The planer now has a good working height and is easily maneuverable. Back when I first opened my shop in the early '80's, we didn't have the selection of mobile bases that we have now. Based on the size of that first shop, all my machinery had to be mobile. I had a local welder fabricate bases based on my designs. I did not skimp with the casters and wheels and went with American made industrial quality ones. While many of those machines have been replaced, I still use those bases. Recently I was in need of a a couple of mobile bases and went with Bora heavy duty bases. They are well made and working out quite well. A couple of years ago, I needed to make my Northfield jointer, which weighs in excess of 1600 lbs., mobile. Because of its weight and unusually shaped base, I again had to have a local welder fabricate a mobile base.

Designing and fabricating or having someone fabricate a mobile base can be rewarding. However, if time and/or cost is a factor, and if one of the several mobile base manufacturers have a unit that will meet your needs, I would go that route.

Tom M King
04-24-2022, 12:33 PM
If it's going to be movable, I want it to move easily. I've been less than satisfied with any mobile base I've bought. These are the casters I just bought for the base for a 24" bandsaw. It will be very simple, and keep the machine close to the floor. I'm lucky that there was a sizeable pile of metal here when we bought this place, otherwise, 5" angle iron would raise the price probably beyond buying it for this use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5PT4YY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

These are the ones I put under a welder cart, and I just ordered another similar set for a drill press in the metal/mechanic shop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D3WV1MT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The welder can be moved anywhere with two fingers, and just locking one caster will keep it in place good enough to be used, or parked.