PDA

View Full Version : Basic Agenda

Doug Evans
07-19-2003, 9:36 PM
Hi Folks:

Doug again.

This is a first cut at an agenda and some timing. I need to get some feedback here about who wants what in terms of Topics for speaking, are the days right?, etc. We have a couple of slots open and Ben and I will try to put together a list of topic options. We do not want to burden our participants -this is a great opportunity to interact - so dont waste it. Once we have a somewhat more solid agenda, we can negotiate and prepare the associated costs. To give people an idea, we have about twenty interested people already from all over NA.

Wednesday October 1, 2003

Folks arrive (Congregate at Rose & Thistle)

Get those that need feeding out to places to feed…

6:30 p.m. Orientation (Wine and Cheese/Antique Tool Display from a number of collections)
7:00 p.m. Tool Tour of England and Scotland (Places to go Guide/Slide Show)
7:40 p.m. Break
8:00 p.m. Tool Tour of England and Scotland (Places to go Guide) Part 2
8:40 p.m. Mix n Mingle (Rob Morris and Tim, guitar and vocals)
9:30 p.m. A bit of Scottish Folklore, a Robert Burns reading, a fine single malt
10:00 p.m. Adjourn

Thursday October 2, 2003
(8:00am maybe earlier for fly fisherpersons – 5:00 p.m.)
Plane Building or Fly Fishing (Maybe down in Ayr, thus could come back through our shop and the tail end of the planemaking)

Dinner and Speaker (5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.) at The Copper Kettle.

Friday October 3, 2003
Woodstock Wood Show - Opening

Come back from Woodstock along 401 to Ayr. Have dinner in Ayr

Afternoon Skills Workshop

Friday Night at The Mill Race, Elora Mill

Saturday October 4, 2003

Travel to Tyrone Mill (9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.)
Lunch at Tyrone Mill
I will try to arrange for a blacksmithing demo at The Blacksmith Shop in Tyrone. Perhaps a little Blacksmithing for amateurs discussion too.

Dinner at The Breadalbane and close out meeting.

Sunday October 5.2003
Tools of The Trades Show (10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Toronto) optional

This should be on most folks way home. We will help get people to the A/P.

Let me know how this sits with everyone.

Regards,

Doug

Doug Evans
07-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Here are some links to local sites and attractions:

http://www.twp.cwellington.on.ca/

http://www.ontariosfinestinns.com/inn_eloramill.html

Regards,

Doug

Doug Evans
07-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Below is a list of some of the folks that have expressed and interest in coming up for the “Big Meetin.”

If your name is on the list, can you please send me an email. This will help me get specific info out without using up all these chat lines (like they get worn out).

We are still approaching speakers, exhibitors, etc. I have started a spreadsheet estimating costs involved, so people can budget. I am trying to get some block pricing on show entrances, etc.

In your email, please identify whether you might be interested in Fly Fishing, Plane Building, or neither (If required, I will get a third agenda for that day). We need to know how many people might be in the shop. For example, if there is a large number, we may ask that some prep work be done at home.

Also, let us know if you have any specific menu or medical requirements. It may comfort some to know that the Rose and Thistle is one block from our local hospital.

There may be a situation where some folks that live close by would be considering traveling back and forth – in turn, this may cause us some insurance problems. As Ben and I are a business, this might be a bit tricky. Most of the evening events are planned such that we walk from a pub back to the B&B’s (ie. no drinking and driving). Can we avoid problems with a waiver?

Also, given the size of this list, we have already begun to scope out a few more B&B’s within a few blocks of The Rose and Thistle. I am not expecting a large price variation but there may be some.

Dave Anderson, Chester, NH
Roger Myers, Stratham, NH
Ed Weiser, Atlanta, GA
Daryll LaRue, Oakville, ON
Paul Barnard, Ottawa, ON
Brad McDonald, Ottawa, ON
Jack Pine, Stoneham, MA
Dave Jeske, Portland, OR
Steve Kubien, Ajax, ON
Bill Tindall,
Ernie Miller, Topeka, KS
Rob, KS
Hiram T, HiHouse
Steve Denvir, Toronto
Sam Simpson
Michael Thomas, Simcoe, ON
Jack Endwell, NY
Jim Crammond, MI
Jack Higgins, TX
Chris Waterdown, ON

I was originally thinking about 8 or 10 people. It is my suspicion that we may settle out at about 15 or so (we will have add-ins and drop outs for a couple of months). The committed list (if only those SWMBO’s knew) is actually quite high for this early stage of the game.

In any event, this is not a commitment. We’re just trying to get the plan to gel right now. I will have some evening discussions topics out shortly.

That’s all I can think of for now

Regards,

Doug