PDA

View Full Version : Tormek torquing out?

Jake Elkins
04-18-2022, 8:32 AM
Was using the tormek (T8) last night to sharpen jointer blades, and noticed that I could barely apply any pressure before the wheel just stops. The drive wheel is not slipping, the whole thing just stops. When trying to use the grading stone, the wheel stopped at a pressure somewhere around a third of what I would normally apply. I could easily stop the wheel with my finger.

This seems like a change in normal operating procedures. The unit is fairly new (2019), and has at most a couple hundred hours. I am still on the first stone. Doesn't make any weird sounds or smells. RPM seems normal (around 90?). Been in an unheated shop, but I have used it a few times over the winter without any issues.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks

Derek Cohen
04-18-2022, 9:04 AM
Check the plastic fly (or drive) wheel. They crack and no longer have the same tightness to the shaft. I replaced mine twice, and eventually repaired the crack with fibreglass. This remained strong.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Maurice Mcmurry
04-18-2022, 9:12 AM
Derek Cohen describes the problem well. The drive on my Grizzly is similar to the old Tormek. The drive is a wheel on a wheel or a wheel inside a wheel. The wheels get worn and dirty and start to slip. I have had to dismantle, clean, and adjust the drive wheels on the old Tormek as well as the new Grizzly. It is looking like the drive wheel on the Grizzly will need to be replaced soon.

Jake Elkins
04-18-2022, 10:16 AM
Sounds good. I will disassemble and report back. Appreciate the help!