PDA

View Full Version : Little frame for my daughter

John Miliunas
01-19-2006, 6:27 PM
So, I got some quality time in the shop this last weekend and put together a little frame for a print my youngest really likes. The original print was given to her by one of our neighbors, but it was in was of those el cheopo plastic frames, that looks like automotive trim. She's really into the Oriental style and asked if I could whip up a nicer frame for her. After digging through my stock and checking back with the colors of the original print, I chose Padauk with a BE Maple inset. To give it a little "Oriental" flair, I decided against the typical 45° corners and tried my hand at half-lapped DT's. Never having done that before, I tried a couple prototypes and both, the LOML and I decided that they were "too tight"!!! :eek: Seriously. You couldn't hardly see the DT detail, so for the final version, I actually gave about a couple thou "breathing room" to set them off just a bit. Besides, the print is going into her bathroom, which will have more humidity, so I have a hunch it'll tighten up a bit more anyway. :) The frame is 2'x3', with Arm R Seal for finish, as well as shellac to seal the back of it. Critiques are welcome and thanks for taking a peek. :) :cool:

Roy Wall
01-19-2006, 6:32 PM
I like it!!!!!:)

Very Sharp .........

tod evans
01-19-2006, 6:34 PM
nice job john!

scott spencer
01-19-2006, 6:36 PM
Nice work John! I'm sure I would have somehow managed to include a "couple thou breathing room" without hardly even trying! :D

Bruce Volden
01-19-2006, 6:37 PM
John,

I also like the joinery!!!! I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out something other than miters and splines and you may have rescued me! Come on dear wife 'o mine bring on the project/s.

Bruce

Vaughn McMillan
01-19-2006, 6:37 PM
Very cool way to handle the corner joints. I'll have to try that. Great job, John.

- Vaughn

Jay Knoll
01-19-2006, 6:40 PM
John

That is way cool, nice work.

Jay

Karl Laustrup
01-19-2006, 6:47 PM
WOW! That is really kewl Spring. :cool: I really like that joint.

May have to try that myself, although I might have to come down and take a lesson or two on how to do that.

You continue to amaze me. But then again I'm amused by the some of the strangest stuff. ;) :D

Karl

John Miliunas
01-19-2006, 7:12 PM
Thanks much for all your generous comments! :) I just took it inside and hung it for Casey and, as much as I sincerely appreciate all your positive input, it just don't compare to the big hug and kiss I got from her! :D THAT, my friends, is what it's ALL about!!! :) Thanks again!:) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
01-19-2006, 7:16 PM
Very nice John.

So, did you use the Delta or the Thingamachevyvegebob to turn it?:D

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 7:39 PM
Very kewel design on the joinery, John!

Frank Chaffee
01-19-2006, 7:45 PM
Beautiful frame John.
The color of the BE Maple makes a wonderful transition from frame to print, and is a touch I’ve never seen before. Looks great!
Personally, I would expect the dovetails to be run horizontally rather than vertically, but the more I look at it this way, the better it appears. Another nice surprise!

Good work “Dad”.

Frank

John Miliunas
01-19-2006, 7:59 PM
Very nice John.

So, did you use the Delta or the Thingamachevyvegebob to turn it?:D

LOL! Neither but, I did turn the parts "this way and that way" any number of times on the Bridgewood and the Laguna and both are within a few feet of the Vega!!! Does that count??? :D :cool:

Josh Goldsmith
01-19-2006, 9:32 PM
That looks very nice!!!!:D Was it hard to make?

Dick Parr
01-19-2006, 9:41 PM
That looks great John, it is a job well done. I bet your daughter really loves it.;)

John Miliunas
01-19-2006, 9:52 PM
That looks very nice!!!!:D Was it hard to make?

No, actually not bad at all. All the angles are at 15°. Made myself a super-simple little jig add-on for the miter gauge on the BS to cut the tails to shape and also used the BS to cut them into a half-lap. Dado blade and miter gauge w/sacrificial fence on the TS for the pins, again simply measured for half the distance of the material. Cut the tails first, mark them on the pin material and sneak up on the lines. :) :cool:

Peter Pedisich
01-19-2006, 10:18 PM
John,

That looks great, I'll have to copy that design if you don't mind for a frame for my sons room to put a map in.

Thanks for sharing!

Pete

John Miliunas
01-19-2006, 10:24 PM
John,

That looks great, I'll have to copy that design if you don't mind for a frame for my sons room to put a map in.

Thanks for sharing!

Pete

Have at it, Pete! I'm pretty certain it's been done before by someone much more innovative than myself! :D It does work quite well for this particular application, though. :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
01-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Another fine one John! Way cool joints.

Tom Jones III
01-20-2006, 8:40 AM
Very clever, I've never seen that before. Looks great.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-20-2006, 9:02 AM
Never having done that before, I tried a couple prototypes and both, the LOML and I decided that they were "too tight"!!! :eek: Seriously. You couldn't hardly see the DT detail, so for the final version, I actually gave about a couple thou "breathing room" to set them off just a bit.

Before I belive this I want to see the pics of the ones that were too tight!!! Or you may just have to bring them by!! :)

By the way, that is a wonderful looking frame!! I am sure your daughter is proud to display it.

Steve Ash
01-20-2006, 9:06 AM
John, you did yourself proud. That is avery nice detail using half lapped DT's.

John Miliunas
01-20-2006, 9:57 AM
Before I belive this I want to see the pics of the ones that were too tight!!! Or you may just have to bring them by!! :)

By the way, that is a wonderful looking frame!! I am sure your daughter is proud to display it.

Only if you can catch the pieces before my neighbor pitches them into his woodburner!!! They went out with my monthly (or so) "donation" of kindling about a week and a half ago. :) OTOH, next time you're over, there still is, at least, one of the corners which is pretty dang tight and you can see it live and in person to get the "feel" for what I'm talking about. :) :D

Jason Tuinstra
01-20-2006, 10:01 AM
John, I really, really like the look. I've never seen this done before on a frame before. It adds a totally different look. Really nice.

Christopher Pine
01-20-2006, 10:08 AM
I like it very much! I went to a "joinery" class last semestor at the community college and the project we had was a frame of sorts we had to put together with somthing like 12 different joints on it. The half lap dovetail being one of them.. Mine was not too tight first try :/ :) It was rather loose actually. Congratulations on very nice joinery! Frame looks great!

Chris