PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Battens, Screws, Nails, and Wood Expansion

Luke Dupont
04-15-2022, 12:23 AM
Hi guys. Some of you may be aware of my previous adventures and mishaps with gluing cross-grain battens on my current workbench, which causes the wood to cup due to the batten not expanding, but the top being able to, like so:

However, many Historical designs use cross grain battens, in fact, and I'm wondering what the best fasteners would be for this (if one were to use fasteners rather than joinery, and in any case, certainly not glue!):

The design above, from Bernard E. Jones' book, "The Practical Woodworker" (Volume I) is what I am considering making, as it is very similar to my current bench already. It would just mean remaking the top (which I already need to do anyway) and adopting folding legs, which I've always wanted to try ever since seeing The Woodwright's version of this very same bench. Roy Underhill, in his version, removes the vise and adds an Apron around the entire bench. Can't find a picture of Roy's, but here's one from closegrain.com that someone built just like it:

I'm not sure which I like more: with or without the apron. But I know I like the tail vise on the original.

In either case, they both use cross-grain battens, and that presents some challenges. I actually bought Roy's book which features this bench to see if he goes into detail, but neither Roy nor Bernard talk specifically about how to deal with the expanding top. Roy just says to use screws to attach the batten, and if you look at the pictures in the book closely, you'll see he left some minor gaps between the stretchers and the skirt to allow for the wood to shrink. But that's it.

I am, of course, determined not to make the same mistake, so I'd like to take a little more precaution. I'm sure using screws and not glue (like I did on my current bench) allows for some expansion, but I am thinking that I may want to use slotted screws or nails.

The workbench top and tool-well together will come out to 18-20 inches wide in total, which, going by research from my previous thread, should expect to see as much as 3/8" of expansion / shrinkage in total.

So, I'm curious how other people would approach this. Would you:

1. Just screw it on?
2. Just Nail it on? I understand that nails move more with the wood than screws, and maybe they alone are sufficient in this case?
3. Use slotted screws on the ends of the battens, and attach the middle firmly with a few non-slotted screws (this would allow expansion to occur outwards and keep the fold out leg braces centered)
4. Use slotted screws in the middle, and fix the ends of the batten firmly in place. Cut a rabbet/half lap in the underside of the 2" bench top to allow the tool well board and bench top board to overlap. Expansion will occur towards the center rather than outwards from the ends, but this would mean that the leg braces move slightly sideways with the seasons... Probably not an issue?
5. Some combination of screws and nails, with nails allowing for movement, similar to #3 and #4
6. Something else?

My intuition is that #2 is just fine, #1 is probably okay but may see some minor cupping (not as much as I currently see with glued battens), #3 is best if I go with the no skirt design, and #4 is best if I go with the Roy Underhill version, which has a long-grain skirt going around the whole bench.

Also, I've never done a slotted screw. Do you just rock the drill bit left and right? Do you go from both the top and the bottom, or just the bottom? I don't have powertools to do this, so I need a handtool method that works. I did a test run and tried chiseling a 1/8" slot (this for another project), and then chiseling out a "countersink" bevel for the screw head, and.... it was really ugly and not convincingly strong looking or feeling.

I am tempted to just nail the whole thing on, but I'm not convinced that nails alone will hold the batten well enough, and I'm concerned that they will perhaps work lose and compress the fibers with time, allowing the bench to become "racky". Then again, they're supposed to be stronger in the lateral direction, and screws can potentially chew up the wood and do the same. Most likely I'm over thinking this, and either will work just fine for however long this bench stays in service.

Rafael Herrera
04-15-2022, 1:30 AM
Just a few thoughts from looking at the diagrams. The front of the bench top is not very wide. Use a quarter sawn slab or laminate a bunch of 2x4s to simulate quarter sawn. The end vise looks to be attached with bolts to the bench top, the battens seem to be attached in a similar manner. What are the battens used for? Are they for structural support? Why don't you make these pieces part of the base, as end stretchers?

Luke Dupont
04-15-2022, 4:18 AM
Just a few thoughts from looking at the diagrams. The front of the bench top is not very wide. Use a quarter sawn slab or laminate a bunch of 2x4s to simulate quarter sawn. The end vise looks to be attached with bolts to the bench top, the battens seem to be attached in a similar manner. What are the battens used for? Are they for structural support? Why don't you make these pieces part of the base, as end stretchers?

The battens are there mainly, I think, to mount the hinges to the legs, and structurally to support the tool well.
I was thinking of ordering a slab of Poplar or something for the top, about 2 inches thick. Not sure if I can specify QS, or if there is even QS available in 8/4 and 10-12" widths.

James Pallas
04-15-2022, 4:34 AM
Sliding dovetails with one screw or lag at the front. Rabbet the tool well to the main top, screws in the rabbet. Screw in the back with a long slot 1/2”.
Jim

Luke Dupont
04-15-2022, 6:18 AM
Sliding dovetails with one screw or lag at the front. Rabbet the tool well to the main top, screws in the rabbet. Screw in the back with a long slot 1/2”.
Jim

Sliding dovetail through the thick part of the bench only, or through the tool well board as well?

I was (am) considering this as an option also, but I figured that fasteners used correctly like in the original should be sufficient.

James Pallas
04-15-2022, 7:04 AM
Depends on how thick the well board will be. I would make the dovetails minimum 3/8” deep+. If the well board is thick enough the dovetail will add a lot of rigidity to the assembly. If your top is not quarter sawn don’t expect it to stay flat. It’s truly amazing how much force a 2” thick piece of flat sawn hardwood can generate.
Jim

Jim Koepke
04-15-2022, 10:32 AM
My recollection on this is fuzzy, also since the underside of my bench hasn't been examined closely in ~20 years. My memory is there is one bolt in the middle of each batten to hold the top in place.

Another method would be to use slots in the battens for the bolt to be able to have lateral movement. Maybe even a large washer with a coat of wax on each bolt. Do not tighten it more than needed to prevent rattling.

For me, an apron is essential. It is great to be able to have a dog or two for supporting long work. It also allows for clamping long work to the apron when edge planing. My bench has a very short apron.

jtk

Tom Trees
04-15-2022, 12:33 PM
I had a look at that book in google, so I think I see what you're calling battens.
One or two odd things I noticed while glancing through, I'd not take it as gospel.

"Carters workbench" might give some insight regarding construction of the Scandi vise
should you wish to see underside of the bench, or indeed Rob's solution for keeping the tool well sturdier on those two fancy benches.

Apart from that issue, I reckon you've got your work cut out for you, should you still endeavour to have this bench for quiet woodworking.
I'd hazard a guess that to counter that, is as much surface area as possible in between bench and legs, ala Scandi bench
and that design complicates matters.

All the best
Tom

Luke Dupont
04-16-2022, 1:58 AM
I had a look at that book in google, so I think I see what you're calling battens.
One or two odd things I noticed while glancing through, I'd not take it as gospel.

"Carters workbench" might give some insight regarding construction of the Scandi vise
should you wish to see underside of the bench, or indeed Rob's solution for keeping the tool well sturdier on those two fancy benches.

Apart from that issue, I reckon you've got your work cut out for you, should you still endeavour to have this bench for quiet woodworking.
I'd hazard a guess that to counter that, is as much surface area as possible in between bench and legs, ala Scandi bench
and that design complicates matters.

All the best
Tom

Yeah, I realize that it seems that I'm contradicting myself and all over the place with my bench design.
This is just one more option I'm considering, in addition to:
- Make a Moravian style top and tool well for my current bench's leg assembly (scandi style)
- Just make a Moravian
- Just build a small Roubo out of construction lumber
- Build some version of this folding bench

While the folding bench may seem a step backwards in some regards, it has a few distinct advantages in flexibility.

You see, my main problem is that if I put something soft and squishy under the feet, it becomes impossible to use my bench for planing. But it does dampen the sound!
So, my thinking is, if my bench is light-weight, and all one piece, I can quickly and easily lift up each end and slide something to absorb vibrations under the feet when I'm sawing or chiseling, and then just as easily slide it back out when I want to plane or pare.
My current bench makes this difficult for several reasons, such as the bench being quite heavy, my storing a bunch of tools on it, and the top just being attached to pegs and lifting off (which I like for portability, but it means that I have to bend down and grab the leg assembly itself to lift up the bench).

Furthermore, I'm thinking that straight legs, such as in this design, would allow me to potentially put buckets of sand under the feet, which should really counteract any vibration. And then if I want to do any planing work, those buckets of sand can be used elsewhere to help keep the bench from moving!
The bench could also be occasionally moved to the entrance, which has a brick floor that will not absorb vibrations at all... though, perhaps a small portable low stool would be better for this purpose.

Lastly, since I don't have a lot of space, I can fold it up and store it in my closet or something if I want to.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but I do think this system has potential.

The only issue would be if the top is too thin and acts as a sound board. To counteract that, I'm thinking of using a pretty thick (full 1") board for the tool well, and I can always add more material to the top or underneath of the bench if I have to.