PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 790 Radial Arm Saw PICS ... Something better?

Steve Mathews
04-14-2022, 6:58 PM
I just picked up the well used Dewalt 790 radial arm saw shown below. It's seen better days but is still functional. I purchased it to fill a temporary need to rough cut lumber to approximate size near the entrance to the shop. I planned for this in my dust collection and have a 4" drop with blastgate nearby. I also have an older but smaller Dewalt RAS but purchased the 790 because it already had a stand and has a little larger capacity. Any opinions on this 790 and what is out there that is better quality?

Maurice Mcmurry
04-14-2022, 7:26 PM
Looks like a good sturdy saw to me. No plastic! A 1970s or 80s model I would guess?

Dave Roock
04-14-2022, 8:35 PM
Very nice RAS - looks lightly used. Looking for a great RAS around here - Uni Point would be nice at right price but would often need 3 phase.

Steve Mathews
04-14-2022, 10:57 PM
Very nice RAS - looks lightly used. Looking for a great RAS around here - Uni Point would be nice at right price but would often need 3 phase.

The photos don't show its prior use or abuse. However it will do for now after some adjustments. I saw some photos and info. on the Uni-Point, another quality tool from Northfield. I'm always on the lookout for anything made by them.

Thomas McCurnin
04-15-2022, 12:14 PM
I have the same saw. I like the 12" blades for rough out and at 240v, it chews through most lumber effortlessly. As you know, just a couple screws in back for getting it back to 90°. Also good for roughing out dados and tenons with the shoulder work finished with a sharp chisel.

Bill Dufour
04-15-2022, 2:19 PM
Location? I would give you my Dewalt 16" RAS if you pick it up.
Bill D
modesto, CA

Steve Mathews
04-15-2022, 10:14 PM
Location? I would give you my Dewalt 16" RAS if you pick it up.
Bill D
modesto, CA

Thanks for the offer but the 12" capacity of the 790 is more than large enough for my needs. I was asking about something better only because of my weakness for quality tools. BTW, I'm in Kingman, AZ.

I spent some time this morning getting familiar with the saw and making a few adjustments. It seems to be working fine and making square cuts. It came with a good assortment of 10" carbide blades so I'll probably use those until a need to purchase some 12" blades. Next task is to work on dust collection for it. As mentioned I already have a 4" DC outlet with blastgate nearby.

Ray Newman
04-15-2022, 10:44 PM
Steve Matthews: Mr Sawdust wrote what many consider to be the RAS Bible. Might be something to consider. See -- https://mrsawdust.com/

David Buchhauser
04-16-2022, 2:09 AM
Steve Matthews: Mr Sawdust wrote what many consider to be the RAS Bible. Might be something to consider. See -- https://mrsawdust.com/

Yes - I agree! I bought a copy and it is a great read.
David

Rick Potter
04-16-2022, 3:32 AM
I also have the 7790 in my shop. I have had at least 8 different saws, including 12" Delta turret and an older (GE?) DeWalt, and this one is my keeper.

The much loved older DeWalts are great saws but they do not have as much power as the 7790. A friend put a 7790 motor on an older one and it is now great.

My saw is just for 90's, and I rarely have to adjust it, it is solid. If you place the fence in the right location, it can crosscut 16 1/4". It is a 240 volt saw, and has plenty of power. It is a few years newer than yours (early 70's), but not new enough to be cheapened up noticeably.

There are pics of my setup on an earlier post somewhere. It is lined up on a bench with my chop saw, and my Kreg Foreman.