PDA

View Full Version : Pm 3520 owners

Doug Jones
01-19-2006, 5:17 PM
I was curious if you have done any modifications to your lathe? I have seen the spindle lock mod. and will implement that one soon. How about the shelving under the bed on the legs for sand or tool storage. Wes B. reminded me that somewhere someone had a way of controlling noodles for an easier clean-up.
Basically just looking for pictures of what you have done to your lathe to improve certain situations.
Thanks,
Doug

Mark Cothren
01-19-2006, 6:51 PM
Hey Doug,

The only mod I've made to mine it to get it dirty...:D I'll be anxious to see the replies to this, too.

Thanks,
Mark

RL Johnson
01-19-2006, 8:44 PM
I helped my brother take all of the plastic knobs off and turn Cocobolo ones. The one on the tail stock is longer so that you can use both hands and hold the knob in the neutral position to remove it and then reinstall it later. I will try to get a photo and post it for you to see.
Well, I see your thread got hijacked. I will go ahead and post the pictures that I took today. Please excuse the poor quaility as it is hard to be both model and photographer at the same time :D . I hope you can get an idea of the purpose of the knob shape to help when removing the tail stock.

Cecil Arnold
01-19-2006, 8:53 PM
I'm with Mark. I haven't found a real need to mod. the spindle lock, it holds with a slight amount of tension. The weight has proved to be adequate, just spin the blank until it starts to vibrate then back off some. I have installed the EZ Vac through the spindle shaft and would like to do something for storage space that is more convenient than the top of my CS which is directly behind the lathe, and I've used some magnets to hold the chuck key and both bars to the machine. I'm sure there are lots of neat things that could be done, but its too much fun turning to be concerned about.

Travis Stinson
01-19-2006, 9:14 PM
Same here. Just removed the lower bolt on the spindle lock cover and slide it over the button. I haven't found anything that needs modifying with mine either. Maybe build some sort of bed extension for the secondary rest of my hollowing rig for deeper forms.....and get around to wiring in the remote switch. Like Cecil said, too much fun turning to be concerned about. Enjoy it!:cool:

Dale Thompson
01-19-2006, 9:30 PM
Doug,
When I bought my 3520 about seven years ago, I was told that the Gods of WW'ing didn't ALLOW any modifications. :confused: Anyway, I immediately sinned and stuffed that silly excuse for a "safety cage" into the deepest crevasses of my under-stairs "storage" space. :cool:

Besides that, the only thing that I have done is put that plywood shelf into the rails provided. The tool box in the pic does not hold tools. :confused: It is for miscellaneous parts from other machines that I never use. For example, I bought the 6" extension for my bandsaw. There were some parts left over from the conversion and they are in the toolbox.

I bought the indexing mod but only put it on long enough to see if it fit. You may notice it hanging just to the left of the brown chisels

A good drilling chuck, a Stronghold or other quality chuck, a Wolverine (or other) sharpening jig, a good VS grinder with quality wheels, etc., are, in my opinion, a lot more valuable than than the "indexing" rig. :)

Please excuse my clean and totally organized shop. OK - Just look at the lathe and ignore the "treasures" to the right, to the left and above and below it. ;)

Lastly, probably the best "support" piece that I added was the "cheap" shelf above the lather. The wire construction allows for all (or most) of the chips and stuff to "fall between the cracks" - so to speak. In addition, it holds all the waxes, keys, sandpaper, finishes, small templates, etc. that I need. The only problem is FINDING them. ;) The big lights above the lathe are useless! The small light on the headstock is priceless!

Dale T.

Steve Clardy
01-19-2006, 9:51 PM
Doug,
When I bought my 3520 about seven years ago, I was told that the Gods of WW'ing didn't ALLOW any modifications. :confused: Anyway, I immediately sinned and stuffed that silly excuse for a "safety cage" into the deepest crevasses of my under-stairs "storage" space. :cool:

Besides that, the only thing that I have done is put that plywood shelf into the rails provided. The tool box in the pic does not hold tools. :confused: It is for miscellaneous parts from other machines that I never use. For example, I bought the 6" extension for my bandsaw. There were some parts left over from the conversion and they are in the toolbox.

I bought the indexing mod but only put it on long enough to see if it fit. You may notice it hanging just to the left of the brown chisels

A good drilling chuck, a Stronghold or other quality chuck, a Wolverine (or other) sharpening jig, a good VS grinder with quality wheels, etc., are, in my opinion, a lot more valuable than than the "indexing" rig. :)

Please excuse my clean and totally organized shop. OK - Just look at the lathe and ignore the "treasures" to the right, to the left and above and below it. ;)

Lastly, probably the best "support" piece that I added was the "cheap" shelf above the lather. The wire construction allows for all (or most) of the chips and stuff to "fall between the cracks" - so to speak. In addition, it holds all the waxes, keys, sandpaper, finishes, small templates, etc. that I need. The only problem is FINDING them. ;) The big lights above the lathe are useless! The small light on the headstock is priceless!

Dale T.

Dale. Can I get the first signed copy of your book?:rolleyes: ;) :D

Dale Thompson
01-19-2006, 9:52 PM
Doug,
One other thought. Adding weight, as has been said, is not much of a factor with the PM 3520. :cool: Make sure that the legs are in firm contact with your floor and then back off if you really have a non-concentric situation. :)

The reason for this post, however, is the that "meter" reading on the back of the controller is actually proportional to the speed of the lathe - if that is important. :) I called PM when I first bought the lathe and the Customer Service person was not aware of that fact. Whatever, when you get used to the lathe, you will "sense" when the speed is right. ;) :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
01-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Dale. Can I get the first signed copy of your book?:rolleyes:

DANG IT, Steve,

They're all sold out - AGAIN!!. :( ;) WELL - to tell you the truth - IT'S sold out!!

I do my own publishing by typing each page individually on an old Corona typewriter. My first copy went to the National Archives. I am now working on my second copy (I'm on Page 7 of 6437 Pages) and I am backordered to the point of almost three million copies. ;) You will be the first on my list after those orders are filled. :) I'm truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you!! :p :)

Dale T.

Steve Clardy
01-19-2006, 10:12 PM
DANG IT, Steve,

They're all sold out - AGAIN!!. :( ;) WELL - to tell you the truth - IT'S sold out!!

I do my own publishing by typing each page individually on an old Corona typewriter. My first copy went to the National Archives. I am now working on my second copy (I'm on Page 7 of 6437 Pages) and I am backordered to the point of almost three million copies. ;) You will be the first on my list after those orders are filled. :) I'm truly sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you!!

Dale T.

:eek: :eek:

Well put me on da list Dale!!!
So I gotta settle for a second edition???:eek:

Hey. If you would use two fingers to type instead of one like most of us around here, you could get more output :D :rolleyes: ;)

Jim Ketron
01-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Doug all I have done is Make some new tool rests. and Like Dale my Gard is somewhere in the shop:D. and like Travis I plan on making a outboard tool rest, and need to put my remote switch on:o

Doug Jones
01-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Don't misunderstand me, I am having a blast with this thing. Still trying to get use to the major difference from what I had. But for the very few short comings that the 3520 has, I was just curious to some of the solutions. Simular to what Travis had mentioned.

Just removed the lower bolt on the spindle lock cover and slide it over the button.
Then I'm a bit curious to this remote thing that Jim refers to.

and need to put my remote switch on:o
And Dale, the guard never saw the light of day, its still in the packaging that it came in.

I immediately stuffed that silly excuse for a "safety cage" into the deepest crevasses of my under-stairs "storage" space. :cool:

Philip Duffy
01-20-2006, 6:23 AM
Just 300 lbs of sand on the shelf below the bed, and a vacumn chuck capability. Phil

Jim Ketron
01-20-2006, 6:50 PM
Its a switch that has a magnet on it and you have to wire it into the switch on the lathe. It can be moved around for easy access to be able to turn the lathe on/off with out having to reaching around the turning.

Doug Jones
01-20-2006, 7:14 PM
Not sure to whom I need to give credit to for this little mod. So to who ever I saw this idea from, Thanks, the lack of a spindle lock is no longer an issue.
Travis, I found that loosening the allan bolts left too much play in the spindle lock button. So in fear of the bolts threading themselves out from lack of tightening and the spindle lock bottom coming apart all over the floor, I opted for this method instead. I do appreciate the idea though.

Dale Thompson
01-20-2006, 8:24 PM
Doug,
I think that you have a newer model of the 3520 than mine. I don't have a direct RPM readout on the front. MY readout is on the back! :confused: I haven't looked at it in several years because the lathe is a bit on the non-mobile side! ;) The only way to monitor it would be with a double-mirror setup of some kind. :( :) Anyway, I think it is only PROPORTIONAL to the ACTUAL RPM and I never thought it worthwhile to make the conversions. :o

GADS! Do I have to buy ANOTHER lathe? ;) AW - I think that I will keep mine! :)

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
01-20-2006, 9:22 PM
Doug - My suggested mod to the PM 3520 A or B would be to trade it in for a Oneway.

Travis Stinson
01-20-2006, 9:35 PM
Doug - My suggested mod to the PM 3520 A or B would be to trade it in for a Oneway.
And ruin a perfectly good lathe?!!!!!!!!:eek:

Jim Ketron
01-20-2006, 9:36 PM
Yea whats up with that Andy?????????:rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
01-20-2006, 9:38 PM
Cecil - HELP, I got myself trapped in enemy territory!

Travis Stinson
01-20-2006, 9:43 PM
Lock the door Jim! We've got him now.:p

Jim Ketron
01-20-2006, 9:44 PM
10-4 Travis ;)

Dale Thompson
01-20-2006, 9:57 PM
Cecil - HELP, I got myself trapped in enemy territory!

Andy,
As soon as I can get the horses harnessed up and hitched to the sleigh - Well, Andy, sleep lightly!! :) :cool: :D

OK - so the Oneway is a GREAT lathe! :D I hope that you can afford one in your "next" life. :eek: :)

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
01-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Dale - I am taking it with me.

Cecil Arnold
01-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Andy, don't look at me, I'm happy with my 3520A.

Travis Stinson
01-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Trapped like a rat............:p

Mark Cothren
01-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Andy, there may be a GOLD strike in your future!!! Don't fight it... maybe somebody will let you trade that Oneway in on some Yelllar...;)

Andy Hoyt
01-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Help, I've fallen and can't get up.

Travis Stinson
01-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Dale - I am taking it with me.
It'll have to look like this to get through the Pearly gates.:D

Cecil Arnold
01-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Travis, is that the new PM3520C??? Bet Andy will just have to get one like that.;) :D

Dale Thompson
01-21-2006, 9:20 PM
Help, I've fallen and can't get up.

Andy,
"Here's a quarter, call someone who cares"! :p I'm sorry that the Oneway tipped over on you! :( The Oneway instructions should have warned you that trying to turn "heavy" pen blanks like those made out of Balsa and Styrofoam would make the lathe unstable!!? ;) :)

I'm still trying to put my sleigh team together. Luckily for you, my horses ran away and I have a "flat" runner on the rear left side of my sleigh. I'm trying to pump it up with Purpleheart dust but all that stuff ever does is CHIP! :mad:

Kidding aside, you are VERY fortunate to have a Oneway! As my late Uncle would say to me every time I got something new, "That's WAY too good for YOU, Thompson". ;) :)

What's MY "spin" on the whole subject? Get GREAT tools! Use them with the GREATEST AND MOST FINELY HONED skills available to you! Use them PROPERLY and SAFELY! Make SCRAP!! Enjoy the warmth of the FIRE! :o ;) :)

Dale T.

Andy Hoyt
01-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Ahhhh. I know you guys are just jealous.

Even your PMs are jealous - afterall, baby poop mustard green is way more extreme than the normal envy green.

Dale Thompson
01-22-2006, 9:20 PM
baby poop mustard green

Andy,
The color is, "baby poop mustard YELLOW"!! - Thank you. :eek: :eek: :)

Dale T.

Jim Dunn
01-22-2006, 10:44 PM
You'd have a hard time getting a baby to eat enough pickles to make his (whatever) green. You can't force feed em, can ya??:)

Jim

Allen Neighbors
10-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Dale, I think that Spindle Lock mod came from John Lucas... I think.
I wrote, "I think". :)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Allen........Dale died earlier this year. His wit is sadly missed at this site!

Allen Neighbors
10-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the head's up, Ken. Sorry I brought up bad vibes. I meant to post that to Doug, anyway, and I guess that's what I get for not looking at the dates on the posts. I accessed this thread from another WebSite link. Had I noticed the dates, I wouldn't have posted.

Andy Hoyt
10-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Don't apologize Allen.

Any day I see Pesh's name on a post is a good day for me, regardless of its vintage.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't apologize Allen.

Any day I see Pesh's name on a post is a good day for me, regardless of its vintage.

A guy from from Maine and a guy from Idaho agreeing......what's the world coming to?

Rich Souchek
10-23-2007, 12:11 AM
The PM3520B is pretty darn good as is and Andy can have his Oneway, there is no envy from me there. Our local club as a 24" Oneway that I learned to turn on and I don't think it has anything over the PM except perhaps fancy tool apeal.
I really like the feel on the PM controls and how smooth they are (especially after they are waxed.) Have nver seen any reason for adding weight to the 3520B, is is stable enought as is. Too many curlies are piled up below my lathes bed for me to even think about storing anything there except short bowl blank cutoffs trying to dry.
I did make a tool tray to fit across the bed rails to hold tools and sandpaper, but in practice it was not worth it. I really like the extra accessory storage tray that holds the knock out bar. It works real good.
Did the lathe really come witha worthless wire mesh basket protectore thingie? I thought that was a funy tomato plant wire basket.
The most helpfull thing for me is a set of7" deep wall mounted shelves about 6' long above and behind my lathe. The shelves hold chucks, keys, drill chuck, drill bits, etc. Above the shelves is a 4' long upper kitchen cabinet to hold finishing supplies. Just to the right end of the lathe is a moveable tool stand with all my tools and extra supplies. Most important, right behind me and to my left by about 3' is a fine cast iron table to store bowl blanks on, rebuild chainsaws on, or set up my pen making supplies. Sometimes, I even use the table to cut bowl blanks octangonally.
I keep the bed extension attached in the lower position, and often find my turning tools across it. I also keep a 100 watt light attached to the tailstock, helping me to see.
Have you looked at:
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_1hb4nbm&revision=_latest

Rich S.

JerHall
10-23-2007, 1:43 PM
I have been getting weary of lifting my 57# tailstock on and off. I came to the conclusion it wouldn't get any lighter as the years go by. So I researched every idea I could find and posted them here:
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_31hpg89x&revision=_latest

A picture of the approach I designed, influenced by those who preceded me is attached. Here also is a Picassa slide show of the construction of it:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jerhall95945/SwingAwayAndDownTailstockForPM3520
Ray Lanham's solution is neat to. His uses ball bearing hinges. Mine swings down below elbow height and is 4" away from the maximum 3520 swing. The two approaches could be combined. I could still add the lower bed extension, but then it really would look like a Christmas tree.

I enjoy following this thread!

Jerry

Reed Gray
10-23-2007, 4:33 PM
My PM is also 7 or so years old. I did a few modifications which aren't necessary on the newer models.

Mine has a fan under the heat baffels on the converter. I had to put screen on the top of it to prevent shavings from falling down inside it and stopping the fan.

Mine had a big clunky banjo, and a 12 inch long tool rest which broke. This was a common problem. They sent me a new tool rest (16 inches long). It was made to fit the newer version of the banjo which is now standard. It wouldn't fit my older banjo, so they sent me another banjo.

It also had a cast iron pressure plate on the bottom of the headstock. This broke once while coring, so they sent me a new pressure plate.

One thing they need to do is to make the headstock spindle removable, like a unit that you unbolt. My belt could stand to be replaced, but the only way to do that is to press it out, and that isn't something that I can do in my shop.
robo hippy