PDA

View Full Version : Ran across two 20” planers in my area, good deal?

Miksa de Sorgo
04-14-2022, 1:18 PM
Well I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a drum sander, hoping it would be my last purchase but curiously in my search for a used drum sander… planers popped up oye and two at that. One is a Grizzly G0454 20” planer and the other a Jet JES-208-1. Grizzly is a 5hp with cast iron feed tables and the Jet is 3hp with roller feeds and cast iron table. The Jet is two years old, not sure if the age of the Grizzly but the owner says they’ve never used it and it has been sitting in storage (slightly concerning). Here’s pictures of the two:

Basically they look very similar of course, but that rust on the Grizzly has me a bit concerned as well. Would be nice to have full cast iron on the tables but I know the Jet has none and it’s just a short drive from my home vs a 6 hour round trip. They’re both knive cutters, both very expensive for Shelix, but also acceptable for hardwood if blades are kept sharp. I’ll also be getting a drum sander I’m just going to wait and save a little more money to get a Woodmaster 3875 38” sander as I’m quite partial to it. They both want $2000 for the planers. I do like the idea of the larger motor on the Grizzly and it has the mobility kit which I must have. I’d have to figure out something for the Jet. My 1 car garage will start to get cramped lol. If I go with a Shelix I’m the future the Jet is just under $1500 and the Grizzly $995. How are these planers? Do you think it’s a good deal in todays market? The jet is retailing for $3699 and the comparable Grizzly is $3295. I did purchase a smaller which I know I can sell and get my money back. But this was kind of like going with the one then done philosophy. I’m getting more into the idea of using rough lumber now especially with the SCM S600P glowing in the corner of my garage. Anyone have experience with these planers? Are they good deals or should I offer a lower price for either one? I plan on using a planar for cabinetry and wood flooring with hardwoods and other furniture after those projects are completed. Or stick with the 13” as it’s probably all I’ll need? Thanks!

Michael Schuch
04-14-2022, 1:35 PM
I have a 15" planer of similar design to the two planers you have posted. I don't think I have ever used the full 15" capacity of my planer BUT the weight and structural integrity of the 15" is a huge advantage over a lunchbox planer.

My 15" planer has single protruding infeed and out feed rollers similar to the Jet planer you are showing but just a single roller instead of 3 infeed rollers and 3 outfeed rollers. The single rollers have always worked fine for me and I have never had a problem with snipe.

I would probably opt for the cast iron tables over the rollers but I don't think it is that big of an issue from my experience. The rust on the Grizzley planer tables is nothing, it should clean up VERY easily! I think you should be fine with either planer. Make sure you remove the squeeze out from a glue up BEFORE you run the glue up through the planer or you will eventually nick the blades.

I have gone back and forth on a Shelix head swap. The planer blades have done a good job for me for the past 30 years and I have read about some disappointing results from replicable insert heads. So I am just sticking with straight blades. I have never really had any issues even on whispy grain patterns.

$2000 for a 20" planer sounds like a very good deal to me. I paid considerably less for my 15" 30 years ago. It came from a production shop that upgraded to a 20" Jet planer. I have never had a single issue with it in 30 years, these planers are built quite stout!

Take a lite 12" - 18" board with you to run through the planer and check for snipe. My 15" didn't have any snipe when I purchased it and I have never had to adjust for it in the past 30 years. I believe snipe can be near eliminated with proper adjustments but have never had to do so myself.

Bill Dufour
04-14-2022, 1:48 PM
That looks to be just light surface rust. I would not worry much. Pull back a boot to see if the support posts are rusted at all. For 20 " 3hp is too low. The jet roller table is a step up from a lunch box but not much. Does the Grizzly have the dust hood$
How will you get it into a truck or trailer? Engine hoist and 4x4's under the cutter head?
Bill D.

On edit" grizzly=920 pounds, well under engine hoist capacity. Good luck trying to push that up a ramp into trailer.

Miksa de Sorgo
04-14-2022, 2:18 PM
Thanks y’all for the quick replies! Michael thanks for all the info, that has definitely given me some confidence toward these designs for sure. Sounds about right from what I’ve been reading, can get great results from the knives just have to take really good care of them which I would have no problem doing that. I honestly know it’s probably bigger than what I’ll use but I said the same thing with the bandsaw and now that I have that 24” resaw I’ve been thinking of what I can really do with it. So I’m wondering if it would have the same effect. I was just looking at prices and basically for a new 13/15” it’s just about right where these planers so it became the question of why not? Really appreciate the info provided. And bill yeah that’s what I was wondering about, would 3hp be sufficient enough IF I went to plane towards or at max capacity. But honestly most of the work I think would be 12” or less I hate to say it. I figure it would be plenty sufficient for the normal stuff but if I do find that project where I need to plane something 20” wide, would you think it would be capable? I mean they did sell it this way so I’m sure it can, but would it effect quality or would it be something where it would just do it faster? Maybe take off more thickness vs more shallow passes? But I’m excited to hear about the rust. I got a bunch of products as I got a used Delta DJ20 with some surface rust and I got it out easy peasy, it was just a lot “lighter” than this. As for how to transport it that’s what I’ve been considering, after moving the S600P I went out and bought an engine hoist, never doing anything like that again without one haha. 990lbs with ratchet straps and hand winch with scrap wood jn 100 degree weather was pure hell. The Jet I’m not too sure exactly but I see an easier solution to the Grizzly for sure. The Grizzly actually looks like it has some bars on top of the cutter housing which look like it’s for lifting to me. I could ask Grizzly but that would make it easy and I would only need to rent a trailer. But if I could get ahold of a Penske truck which isn’t too much more than a truck/trailer I’d have a liftgate, which would be ideal. Just roll it on and off. The Jet I figured could lift by the cutter or use some wedges to get under the base, prop it up on 2x4 or 4x4 and then wrap some longer lifting straps under the unit one for each side then it may be a balanced lift (have to watch if one side is heavier than the other. But with someone assisting it could be supported, this one isn’t as heavy as the Grizzly. I’m kind of leaning to the Grizzly, I asked for more pictures of the table to be safe. And even looking at it again, it kind of does look like it hasn’t been used all that much when I zoom in. If it basically never used, going to need some maintenance as it’s been a sitting, but it seems like a solid deal just wasn’t sure. But even the Jet, the motor could be swapped out down the road, maybe I could source one from a donor unit at a good price. But that just points back towards the Grizzly as it has it and has cast iron tables, mobility, etc etc. thanks!

Just checked the newer models manual and they have lifting bars installed in the cabinet, going to try to find the G0454 manual and see if it has the same thing. Honestly I imagine the Jet probably does too which would make lifting them with a hoist pretty straight forward. The central location of the hoist and the weight would keep the straps engaged without worrying about it slipping off. Going to spend the night digging some more, just thought to myself why was the Planer just sitting there. Was it just not working right or possibly bad from the get go and they weren’t able to send it back? Waiting for the pictures back and making sure they have power where it’s located to test it out.

Greg Parrish
04-14-2022, 3:09 PM
Those are rollers on top of the Grizzly. Wouldn't try lifting with them.

I can see all 4 lift bars in the jet cabinet. Can only see 1 in the grizzly cabinet due to the picture angle, but the other ones may be there.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/g0454/parts

You can see the lift bars in these schematics. Item 308 on page 61.

I'd try to get them down closer to 50% of the current 20" straight knife model if it were me. Use the rust and condition as an excuse. https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-20-5-hp-planer/g1033z

Bill Dufour
04-14-2022, 4:18 PM
Those bars are to slide wood back to the infeed side, not lift bars. Take two pieces of 4x4 about three feet long. Run them through the planner one on each side until they are half way in. The plannner does not even have to be running to do this. Then lower the cutter head to snug them into place, preferably with no blade down.
Rig a lift strap under both ends and top lift.
It is always safer to top lift from above the COG. Much less chance for excitement.
Bill D

John C Bush
04-14-2022, 4:38 PM
I have an older version of the Griz 20"er with helical head 5 hp. and roller outfeed tables. I have used the max 20"s many times and have 10' and 5' torsion box sleds for "jointing"
rough slabs wider than my 12" jointer. You will be glad you have the 20" capacity when you start using your new band saw close to capacity as well. 5 hp is plenty of power at full width.
The bars on top are rollers for passing stock from outfeed to infeed-very useful for that but not meant for lifting . There are heavy steel rods that extend out below the bed for lifting slings.
Rent a trailer, load up you lift, remove the ext. tables (as needed), secure with lots of ratchet straps, and you are good to go. I rolled mine up the tailgate ramp on my trailer with no problems--using a Harbor Freight furniture dolly!
The rust shouldn't be a problem with machine function but is a good bargaining point for pricing. You will likely spend a few hrs. cleaning and adjusting the rollers, pressure bar, and chip breaker. If extra knives aren't included it's good to have another sharp set on hand as needed, and locate a good sharpening shop close by. You will want to get a dial indicator to adjust the blades, etc. I made a holder following Robert Vaughaun's(sp?) design. should be able to get his video on YouTube. Be sure to check your DC bin. They fill up fast and can overflow and make a mess if for clean up AMHIK!!
Good luck

Mike Stelts
04-14-2022, 5:49 PM
I have the Grizzly. Short answer: Buy it.

Miksa de Sorgo
04-14-2022, 5:58 PM
Awesome thank you guys so much! I set it up to look at the Jet Saturday and I have to look at the Grizzly Monday on my days off. I like the advice to see if I could get a little lower with the rust, can’t help it I’m frugal (minus the recent purchases but worked 60-70 hour work weeks for the last two years just about to save up for this and add to the retirement fund). Yeah I totally forgot to at these machines have roller bars which is awesome, glad I double checked the instructions so it should definitely pretty easy to lift up. I honestly could bring a pallet with me and lift it onto the pallet, bolt it in, then just lift the whole pallet and make sure it’s balanced on the pallet. Then I could just use a pallet Jack to get it on and off the trailer. Really appreciate y’all’s thoughts! Think I’m going for it, the Planer I got was used very good condition but got a good deal on it. I can definitely get my money back in a day or two. And my thoughts were like suggested since I have the extra capacity from the bandsaw I would be looking for larger tools. I was looking at doing some slab tables etc in the future which would be perfect for it. Hopefully all is well and I can pick one up!

Greg Parrish
04-14-2022, 6:31 PM
Good luck and happy hunting!

Awesome thank you guys so much! I set it up to look at the Jet Saturday and I have to look at the Grizzly Monday on my days off. I like the advice to see if I could get a little lower with the rust, can’t help it I’m frugal (minus the recent purchases but worked 60-70 hour work weeks for the last two years just about to save up for this and add to the retirement fund). Yeah I totally forgot to at these machines have roller bars which is awesome, glad I double checked the instructions so it should definitely pretty easy to lift up. I honestly could bring a pallet with me and lift it onto the pallet, bolt it in, then just lift the whole pallet and make sure it’s balanced on the pallet. Then I could just use a pallet Jack to get it on and off the trailer. Really appreciate y’all’s thoughts! Think I’m going for it, the Planer I got was used very good condition but got a good deal on it. I can definitely get my money back in a day or two. And my thoughts were like suggested since I have the extra capacity from the bandsaw I would be looking for larger tools. I was looking at doing some slab tables etc in the future which would be perfect for it. Hopefully all is well and I can pick one up!

Bill Dufour
04-14-2022, 7:32 PM
Those type of planers are top heavy. Lifting with bars below the table will require careful rigging. There is a danger it can flip upside down and damage the working parts. Add some safety lines so it can not invert. Price the cost of solid lifting bars vs six feet of 4x4. I assume a pipe will not be strong enough. If you go with lifting bars you have to design end bolts/washers so the sling can not slip off sideways.
Bill D.

Michael Schuch
04-14-2022, 7:44 PM
I honestly know it’s probably bigger than what I’ll use but I said the same thing with the bandsaw and now that I have that 24” resaw I’ve been thinking of what I can really do with it. So I’m wondering if it would have the same effect. I was just looking at prices and basically for a new 13/15” it’s just about right where these planers so it became the question of why not?

I think you misunderstood me, I have never used the full width of my 15" planer but I still NEED a 20" planer! I would definitely take either of those two planers over a new 15" planer!

The black bars that come out of the lower part of the planer just above the base are used as lift points for the planers. The bars on top of the planer are rollers and this is where I stack my wood when plaining down several pieces at the same time, do NOT use them as lift points. My 15" planer has a 3hp motor and I don't think I have ever come close to exercising it in the 30 years I have owned it. I would not worry about 3hp being too small for the 20" planers. IF (and that is a big IF) you find the planer lagging you could put it into its lower gear (slower speed) and/or take a smaller bite. I would not worry for a minute about buying a 20" planer with a 3hp motor.

P.S. I SEE the lifting bars in both pictures.

Heed Bill's advice on lifting the planer by the lifting bars. The lifting bars are made to lift the planer with a forklift. They will support the weight of the planer but will be top heavy / unstable without proper care like Bill said.

Alex Zeller
04-15-2022, 12:22 AM
Expect either one of those planers to weight about 800lbs. I use an engine lift for a car to lift mine off of my trailer and get it into my shop. I rigged up an adjustable jig to work with the lifting bars. I would check the Grizzly's oil level. If the owner said he's never used it and bought it new there might not be any oil in it. Also there's spots on top that get oiled every so often. There should be a sticker saying to oil the spots every few hours. Make sure they don't look like they are starting to rust.

Miksa de Sorgo
04-15-2022, 2:01 AM
Well received some bad news, the Grizzly sold l, had a feeling that may happen but the guy told me he was going to show me it first as I was first but the other guy offered more, I wasn’t going to be going more for sure. Can’t blame the guy I would’ve done the same exact thing.

thanks Bill, I honestly didn’t think of that I really appreciate that info! I’ve been thinking about it all day at work, I was calling around to see if I could just get a box truck with a lift gate, that would be so much more simpler but they’re very hard to find around here as they’re usually out on commercial contract or very, very expensive. But I’ve been thinking about it all night at work, how can I lift it while keeping the top stable. Curious if I used some addition straps not to bear the load of the head, but more so secure them to the hoist arm. So one wraps one way, the other makes a cross the other way to hold in place. Also had some thoughts on using ratchet straps added to it to prevent it from moving beyond what the hoist will do. Also another simple solution, the hoist can pick up a lot more weight and the height of the trailer is not very tall, I could simple add greater weight to the base, say 300-400lbs kind of balancing it out? The other idea is if I used a uhaul trailer, they have small full ramps (what I used for the bandsaw) and I could rent out 2 more sets of longer ramps extending it, reducing incline. Then use some ply over the ramps, solid flat base. Use the hoist to help lift it up onto a wood pallet, it’s a heavy duty pallet I can borrow from work, frequently holding way more weight than one of these. But the Jet would be lighter than the Grizzly now that’s it’s sold. I have tk check if it can be bolted into the ground, I could bolt it into the pallet with lag bolts, lots of 4x4 used in these pallets. Then use a jack and pull it up the extended ramp, but also using an electric winch to help pull it up and keep it from tilting back but it should be a much smaller incline. These jacks are amazing, I’ve pulled double stacks of water, fertilizer, pallet of lifting weights like it was nothing (ok the weights was tough lol). Think it could work. Plus I could attach some lines at multiple points into the trailer, maybe 3-4 winches, I have a few kicking around again after the bandsaw lol. I got that bandsaw off myself and that was 900+, think it was 990 I read. But it was more bottom heavy. But alas that’s assuming….

With the Grizzly gone, is the Jet still worth it? 2 year old tool, little dusty, needs some cleaning, but it looks really good. It just has the 3hp motor. It’s local so if I can get a lift gate truck, it will be much cheaper than driving 400+ miles. That would make it easy. I’m still kind of leaning on the side it’s worth it, but also wondering if maybe I should wait to see what else comes along. I read about these auction finds, how does one locate these auctions? Local auction houses? Possible central database maybe or a site that I can find closed business equipment sales for woodworking? I wouldn’t mind having an SCM planer to go along with the bandsaw! But at the same time, I wonder if I may be able to source such a 5hp motor, or maybe find a 3 phase, possibly more affordable? And then get the equipment when ready and run it 3 phase? Not sure if something like that would be possible, or if a motor from someone like Grainger may work, or just finding a used motor from a repair company or something or other. Still think it would be a significant upgrade to what I have now. The price seems fair for a 2 year old tool, buyer welcomes a test says it runs flawless especially for hardwoods. He’s emailed multiple times so maybe a fast sale, take a couple hundred off? I’m curious of your thoughts after the Grizzly is gone and only the Jet available. Would hate to wait and it gets sold, and nothing pops up in the market. But at the same time I have something that works so it’s just a battle of time. Thanks again for all your help, this forum has some really great people. Hopefully I can be as helpful in the coming future!

edit: curiously I searched what popped up for drum sanders and there was this Haney Corp Pro-Sand for $500, looks rough, kind of made me laugh but they said 45hp 3 phase… hope that’s a typo. Seems ridiculous power wise. Just thought it was slightly hilarious.

Also from reading it seems like in general many people with 3hp 230v tools have 12 gauge with 20amp breakers, I am having a couple of 10ga wires run, one for a used dust collector I picked up, one for the bandsaw on 30a breakers. I’m going to need 2-3 more 230v outlets I believe so figure I’ll have them all done at once. I reached out to Jet to see what they’re recommendations were, info on the planer was highly confusing. Website’s like Jet, Rockler, Woodcraft and many others repost Jets info showing 14a motor but the instruction manual says 18amp. So I’ll see what they say but if anything I’ll run 10ga and either use 20a receptacles with 20a breakers on the extra outlets and if needed can just swap out for 30a. The dust collector and bandsaw definitely getting 10ga w/ 30a breaker. A good friend is a great licensed electrician, I usually have to put money in his pocket but we also help each other out a lot with whatever so as long as I have some beer afterwards he’s happy lol. And please I read a ton of arguments over wire gauge and breaker size for 3hp motors please we don’t need more! Only using the 10ga because my recent searching for used has brought up some 5hp 230v 22-25 amps. The drum sander will probably be a new Woodmaster most likely with a 30a service but heck if a Wide belt pops up for a crazy price I’ll skip work and pick it up and who knows what that may require. I actually like doing drywall so I don’t mind tearing up the walls, I’m weird.

Alex Zeller
04-15-2022, 7:48 AM
3hp should be ok. At worse you would just need to reduce how much you remove when dealing with wide boards. I'll run 20" wide glue ups through my planer often so using the 20" width isn't out of the question. I'm sure the motor is nothing special and can easily be replaced but you'll also have to replace the wires and the contactor to handle the extra power (or the 3 phase). That could make it too expensive to justify. I would think that if you did get it and it just didn't do what you wanted you could sell it and get most, if not all your money back.

Miksa de Sorgo
04-15-2022, 8:15 AM
I think you misunderstood me, I have never used the full width of my 15" planer but I still NEED a 20" planer! I would definitely take either of those two planers over a new 15" planer!

The black bars that come out of the lower part of the planer just above the base are used as lift points for the planers. The bars on top of the planer are rollers and this is where I stack my wood when plaining down several pieces at the same time, do NOT use them as lift points. My 15" planer has a 3hp motor and I don't think I have ever come close to exercising it in the 30 years I have owned it. I would not worry about 3hp being too small for the 20" planers. IF (and that is a big IF) you find the planer lagging you could put it into its lower gear (slower speed) and/or take a smaller bite. I would not worry for a minute about buying a 20" planer with a 3hp motor.

P.S. I SEE the lifting bars in both pictures.

Heed Bill's advice on lifting the planer by the lifting bars. The lifting bars are made to lift the planer with a forklift. They will support the weight of the planer but will be top heavy / unstable without proper care like Bill said.

Ha! Totally get ya! Awesome that’s really good to hear thank you! It was a shame the Grizzly is gone but I’m definitely leaning to the Jet for sure. I mean all considering 2 years could be nothing (I hope), practically new. I was so busy with work and he emailed me multiple times, he’s moving by next Friday and needs it gone asap,
maybe a little discount? I’m fairly confident with all the advice I know what I need to do to get it back to my garage, I really appreciate the words of wisdom and caution.

I just shifted my “tool money” back over to my hiding place, was absolutely not planning on this. Was going to wait a little bit to hop on the Woodmaster drum sander which I may wait even longer now considering the tools that keep coming up for sale. Now I gotta shift it back over, 1-3 business days. I just have Monday and Tuesday to pick it up. I’ll figure it out lol. Worst case just sell some Ethereum and transfer that over and ride low on the bank account for a day or two. Been hoarding that since I’ve started mining that in 2016. Just gotta bite the bullet, just one purchase, thankfully the drum sander will be the last! Incra router table had a 6 month lead time and I sprung for the Shelix for the DJ20 which also has a pretty long lead time. So I just keep working in sketch up planning new things to do. Maybe I’ll make up some push sticks and some hold downs with the tools branding in the mean time. I just can’t wait to finally get my hands on the tools and start redoing the walk-in closet and master bathroom. Have lots of plans to get done in the next couple years. Would cut back on my hours, but I just like to work can’t help it. So the projects will take a little extra time.

Clint Baxter
04-15-2022, 8:15 AM
Well received some bad news, the Grizzly sold l, had a feeling that may happen but the guy told me he was going to show me it first as I was first but the other guy offered more, I wasn’t going to be going more for sure. Can’t blame the guy I would’ve done the same exact thing.

thanks Bill, I honestly didn’t think of that I really appreciate that info! I’ve been thinking about it all day at work, I was calling around to see if I could just get a box truck with a lift gate, that would be so much more simpler but they’re very hard to find around here as they’re usually out on commercial contract or very, very expensive. But I’ve been thinking about it all night at work, how can I lift it while keeping the top stable. Curious if I used some addition straps not to bear the load of the head, but more so secure them to the hoist arm. So one wraps one way, the other makes a cross the other way to hold in place. Also had some thoughts on using ratchet straps added to it to prevent it from moving beyond what the hoist will do. Also another simple solution, the hoist can pick up a lot more weight and the height of the trailer is not very tall, I could simple add greater weight to the base, say 300-400lbs kind of balancing it out? The other idea is if I used a uhaul trailer, they have small full ramps (what I used for the bandsaw) and I could rent out 2 more sets of longer ramps extending it, reducing incline. Then use some ply over the ramps, solid flat base. Use the hoist to help lift it up onto a wood pallet, it’s a heavy duty pallet I can borrow from work, frequently holding way more weight than one of these. But the Jet would be lighter than the Grizzly now that’s it’s sold. I have tk check if it can be bolted into the ground, I could bolt it into the pallet with lag bolts, lots of 4x4 used in these pallets. Then use a jack and pull it up the extended ramp, but also using an electric winch to help pull it up and keep it from tilting back but it should be a much smaller incline. These jacks are amazing, I’ve pulled double stacks of water, fertilizer, pallet of lifting weights like it was nothing (ok the weights was tough lol). Think it could work. Plus I could attach some lines at multiple points into the trailer, maybe 3-4 winches, I have a few kicking around again after the bandsaw lol. I got that bandsaw off myself and that was 900+, think it was 990 I read. But it was more bottom heavy. But alas that’s assuming….

With the Grizzly gone, is the Jet still worth it? 2 year old tool, little dusty, needs some cleaning, but it looks really good. It just has the 3hp motor. It’s local so if I can get a lift gate truck, it will be much cheaper than driving 400+ miles. That would make it easy. I’m still kind of leaning on the side it’s worth it, but also wondering if maybe I should wait to see what else comes along. I read about these auction finds, how does one locate these auctions? Local auction houses? Possible central database maybe or a site that I can find closed business equipment sales for woodworking? I wouldn’t mind having an SCM planer to go along with the bandsaw! But at the same time, I wonder if I may be able to source such a 5hp motor, or maybe find a 3 phase, possibly more affordable? And then get the equipment when ready and run it 3 phase? Not sure if something like that would be possible, or if a motor from someone like Grainger may work, or just finding a used motor from a repair company or something or other. Still think it would be a significant upgrade to what I have now. The price seems fair for a 2 year old tool, buyer welcomes a test says it runs flawless especially for hardwoods. He’s emailed multiple times so maybe a fast sale, take a couple hundred off? I’m curious of your thoughts after the Grizzly is gone and only the Jet available. Would hate to wait and it gets sold, and nothing pops up in the market. But at the same time I have something that works so it’s just a battle of time. Thanks again for all your help, this forum has some really great people. Hopefully I can be as helpful in the coming future!

edit: curiously I searched what popped up for drum sanders and there was this Haney Corp Pro-Sand for $500, looks rough, kind of made me laugh but they said 45hp 3 phase… hope that’s a typo. Seems ridiculous power wise. Just thought it was slightly hilarious.

Also from reading it seems like in general many people with 3hp 230v tools have 12 gauge with 20amp breakers, I am having a couple of 10ga wires run, one for a used dust collector I picked up, one for the bandsaw on 30a breakers. I’m going to need 2-3 more 230v outlets I believe so figure I’ll have them all done at once. I reached out to Jet to see what they’re recommendations were, info on the planer was highly confusing. Website’s like Jet, Rockler, Woodcraft and many others repost Jets info showing 14a motor but the instruction manual says 18amp. So I’ll see what they say but if anything I’ll run 10ga and either use 20a receptacles with 20a breakers on the extra outlets and if needed can just swap out for 30a. The dust collector and bandsaw definitely getting 10ga w/ 30a breaker. A good friend is a great licensed electrician, I usually have to put money in his pocket but we also help each other out a lot with whatever so as long as I have some beer afterwards he’s happy lol. And please I read a ton of arguments over wire gauge and breaker size for 3hp motors please we don’t need more! Only using the 10ga because my recent searching for used has brought up some 5hp 230v 22-25 amps. The drum sander will probably be a new Woodmaster most likely with a 30a service but heck if a Wide belt pops up for a crazy price I’ll skip work and pick it up and who knows what that may require. I actually like doing drywall so I don’t mind tearing up the walls, I’m weird.

Dont waste time putting 20A breakers in if you’re going with 10ga wiring. Put in the 30A breakers as they are for protecting the wiring, not the item that is connected to it. And the they will be set if you need that 30 amp capacity.

Clint

Curt Harms
04-15-2022, 9:06 AM
That looks to be just light surface rust. I would not worry much. Pull back a boot to see if the support posts are rusted at all. For 20 " 3hp is too low. The jet roller table is a step up from a lunch box but not much. Does the Grizzly have the dust hood$
How will you get it into a truck or trailer? Engine hoist and 4x4's under the cutter head?
Bill D.

On edit" grizzly=920 pounds, well under engine hoist capacity. Good luck trying to push that up a ramp into trailer.

Come along would do the trick I'd think.

Jim Becker
04-15-2022, 9:44 AM
I'm surprised the Jet is still available, too...the current market doesn't generally have good equipment lingering because "new" is hard to come by.

These are relatively simple machines and a two year old unit usually wouldn't have any major concerns unless it had been running constantly in a production environment.

Miksa de Sorgo
04-15-2022, 1:16 PM
Aright, didn’t want to lose this one, did a FaceTime call just to get a better look from afar. Machine is in really good shape and working perfectly. He has extra knives for it too. Done deal, I’ll pick it up Monday and think I got a lead on a liftgate. Put my 13” up on Craigslist, should’ve stuck with the buy once cry once for this one too lol. Just ended up selling some of my ethereum that I had, been mining it since 2016. Going to keep the “tool funds” ready just in case something else comes up! Never sold/cashed out with it but they literally transferred the money to the account I’m less than 10 minutes, crypto is definitely handy.

Bill Dufour
04-15-2022, 2:17 PM
Be careful with a lift gate. The entire truck can tip back and let it slide back off the gate. Either block/jack the back of the frame or tie the load to the gate so it can not slide off. there is seldom any way to tie it to the gate.
Bill D.

Miksa de Sorgo
04-15-2022, 2:29 PM
I was actually surprised it was still available too honestly, been expecting the email saying it’s been sold. I’m taking as a sign that it was the right thing to do! I was just looking at it with taxes and shipping, I’m happy with it, super excited. The car is officially moving into the driveway now! Good thing I made a mistake and got an exterior car charger a while back.

Also one of those things I really like about these machine they just really appear to be simple like you said. Only thing I really have to pickup is just a couple of adjustment/calibration tools. Reminds me of older cars, soooo much easier to work on, diagnose problems, and you don’t have to pull out a ton of plastic and disassemble the entire thing for repairs if ever need be. Even on the maintenance it’s all just straightforward. They are definitely going to be used, and as much as possible, but they’re also going to be very well taken care of. Taking a ton of pride in these tools! Been working hard on getting climate just right in the garage as well. Think I got a trick to get the dehumidifier to empty while it runs. It’s a good size but I’m wondering if maybe a backup one wouldn’t be a bad idea. Lord I kind of wince at myself when I say it but it’s been a big investment for me!

Michael Schuch
04-16-2022, 1:35 AM
Aright, didn’t want to lose this one, did a FaceTime call just to get a better look from afar. Machine is in really good shape and working perfectly. He has extra knives for it too. Done deal, I’ll pick it up Monday and think I got a lead on a liftgate. Put my 13” up on Craigslist, should’ve stuck with the buy once cry once for this one too lol. Just ended up selling some of my ethereum that I had, been mining it since 2016. Going to keep the “tool funds” ready just in case something else comes up! Never sold/cashed out with it but they literally transferred the money to the account I’m less than 10 minutes, crypto is definitely handy.

Good call! I am confident you will not be disappointed or regret your decision to buy the Jet planer. You have to strike fast when good deals like this come along. I am happy to hear you were able to get the Jet planer. The Grizzley was a rusty piece of junk anyway. ;)

Miksa de Sorgo
04-18-2022, 9:15 PM
Picked up the planer today, honestly it was a loooot easier than I imagined. Should’ve paid more attention to the dimensions, but it’ll fit perfect in my garage. One of the vendors from my work had a truck with lift gate and the planer came up as we were just talking. Apparently he’s a hobbyist as well, got some nice tools too. Well I was telling him my plan of how I’m bringing it home and he offered to drive me over there as long as I paid for food and gas lol. Mind blown, so met him at work, I grabbed a pallet Jack and an extra pallet and had the hoist, lift straps, ratchet straps, wood, and all that fun stuff. It took maybe 10-15 minutes to load it up. Used the hoist to lift it up, used a load leveler, had the lift gate off the ground enough to get the hoist under it. Raised the planet up enough to the lift gate and onto the pallet, lowered right onto the pallet while two of us were keeping it steady (it honestly wasn’t moving it was really steady I was surprised), and then just lift it up, used the jack and put it in the truck. I may have gone overboard with the ratchet straps lol. But good thing because one of those highways needed a SERIOUS paving. It didn’t move an inch. I also found a Laguna P Flux 3 for sale, damn good price, almost picked that up. But I decided to just stick with the Grizzly 3hp DC I picked up for $150. Just need to clean it up and it’s ready to go. Still need to put pictures up of the bandsaw and now the planer lol. Both a work in process. Hopefully tomorrow but have a bunch of errands to run.