PDA

View Full Version : Making bench dog holes

Jason White
04-12-2022, 9:30 PM
I hate using a handheld drill to make bench dog holes because I can never get them perfectly clean or square. So now I use my plunge router! Much better results and way easier than pushing on a drill.

https://youtu.be/fdyyuIJZu5o

Floyd Mah
04-12-2022, 10:00 PM
When I glued up my bench years ago, I used rectangular holes for the bench dog holes. I dedicated one strip of wood in the lamination of the bench top, the width of the dog hole. Basically, I made the strip out of the material that wasn't the holes of the bench dogs. I just assembled the non-bench dog wood on the adjacent pieces of wood using glue. No drilling needed. New bench dogs were a simple matter to make. Being a pre-fab hole, it was easy to control the angles and dimensions. For the rare occasion that I needed a round bench dog, I made an insert with a round hole to accept the round bench dog.

Rod Sheridan
04-12-2022, 10:06 PM
I used a drill press, I’m not sure a router can drill a through hole in 100mm thick Jatoba. Rod

Frederick Skelly
04-13-2022, 6:50 AM
Thanks for the idea and video Jason.

I used a drill press, I’m not sure a router can drill a through hole in 100mm thick Jatoba. Rod

You used Jatoba for a bench top? That's some hard, dense stuff. I'd love to see some pictures of that, in a separate thread. (Aside: Used to be a guy here that used Purple Heart - it was gorgeous.)

Fred

Rod Sheridan
04-13-2022, 9:46 AM
Thanks for the idea and video Jason.

You used Jatoba for a bench top? That's some hard, dense stuff. I'd love to see some pictures of that, in a separate thread. (Aside: Used to be a guy here that used Purple Heart - it was gorgeous.)

Fred

Hi Fred, I'm away now however when I get home I'll take a photo of it....Rod.

Edward Weber
04-13-2022, 11:36 AM
Once you affix your template in place, drill some pilot holes before you start routing. They don't have to be straight or centered. They will allow some chips/debris to fall out of the hole and lessen the chip build up. Especially for those who don't use a vac on their router.
I also suggest a putting a sacrificial backing board on the bottom side to avoid blowout or splintering on exit.
Just a suggestion

Paul Haus
04-13-2022, 12:32 PM
Once you affix your template in place, drill some pilot holes before you start routing. They don't have to be straight or centered. They will allow some chips/debris to fall out of the hole and lessen the chip build up. Especially for those who don't use a vac on their router.
I also suggest a putting a sacrificial backing board on the bottom side to avoid blowout or splintering on exit.
Just a suggestion
Sounds pretty much like what I did when I built my bench. Came out just fine.

Edward Weber
04-13-2022, 1:38 PM
It's just common sense for drilling/routing any through hole.
The router will give you nice clean side wall but isn't really necessary to hog out the center waste material.