PDA

View Full Version : A COOLING Gloat....finally....

Dennis Peacock
07-19-2003, 9:16 PM
Well....It took me a week of wondering around, asking questions, scrounging for money and supplies.....but I am now in <B>High Heaven</B> 'cause I have <font size="=+2" color="blue"> Air Conditioning in my shop!!!!</font>

Here are the two units that I installed and are now running. Gotta say I REALLY do NOT like working on a metal building!!! :)

Terry Hatfield
07-19-2003, 9:40 PM
D,

Great job!!!! The units look factory installed!!! How are they working??? I know it has to be better than it was before. When I was down there last weekend you couldn't hardly even breathe in your shop.

Now if your electric company can just keep the power on.

congrats,

Terry

BTW...what's colling???? :D

Jim Becker
07-19-2003, 9:47 PM
Great job, Dennis! (I can only hope that I do as well with the window I'm hopefully installing in the kitchen tomorrow) Having A/C in the shop is not a luxury, IMHO. It increased the time you can spend there and reduces fatique...being tired from being overheated can lead to accidents!

Terry Hatfield
07-19-2003, 9:59 PM
Great job, Dennis! (I can only hope that I do as well with the window I'm hopefully installing in the kitchen tomorrow) Having A/C in the shop is not a luxury, IMHO. It increased the time you can spend there and reduces fatique...being tired from being overheated can lead to accidents!

Jim,

I think that is that is what Dennis told Tracy to convince her to let him get the A/C in the first place. :) kidding....

Seriously, I agree with you. If you are going to be in the shop this time of year, it is required to have A/C. I understand full well what can happen if you are operating machinery when you are too tired.

Terry

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-19-2003, 9:59 PM
Looks good Dennis! Your installation looks top notch. I have to agree with you though, working on a corrugated metal building is not nearly as much fun as WoodWorking! Enjoy the summer in your AIR CONDITIONED shop. Money and time very well spent! :D

Bob Lasley
07-19-2003, 10:17 PM
Dennis,

Looks good man! Hopefully, by this time tomorrow evening I can gloat with you. I broke down and went to Lowes this evening and bought a unit for my shop. With any luck my installation will look half as good as yours.

One question, where does the water run out at the back of your larger air conditioner? I've got to install a drain on mine as it will be sticking into the third bay of my garage.

Bob

David Rose
07-20-2003, 1:06 AM
Bob, mine has a drain hole in the bottom pan. Make *sure* the drain tube does not stop up when the unit is on! And/or think about where the water will go if it stops up. We always used plastic tubing for the drain. Copper may be better.

Dennis, I am really happy for you! I put mine in last year, but until the kids insulated my ceiling this summer, it was barely a help. Now it is sooo enjoyable to work in cooler temps besides the safety as mentioned.

I don't know what it will average but my humidity comes down about 15% in a couple of hours too. That has to get the wood a little closer in moisture content to the house.

David

Dennis,

Looks good man! Hopefully, by this time tomorrow evening I can gloat with you. I broke down and went to Lowes this evening and bought a unit for my shop. With any luck my installation will look half as good as yours.

One question, where does the water run out at the back of your larger air conditioner? I've got to install a drain on mine as it will be sticking into the third bay of my garage.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
07-20-2003, 8:57 AM
Bob

Bob,

<b>MAKE SURE</b> you check each unit while it is in the store and get the little book on each one if you can. <B>Why?</b> Because each unit drains differently and installs differently. The small Goldstar unit has a defined drain hole and comes with an adapter so one can hook up a drain-pipe to it...but don't believe it....it likes to drain out of a small hole in the very rear-left of the unit. Uh-m-m-m-m...could be the way I installed it as to why it drains the way it does. This little unit, you remove the outer cabinet shell and install that first and then you slide the a/c unit into the installed cabinet or chassy.

The larger unit.....is a Whirlpool, it saves up enough water so the fan on the "outside" of the unit catches the water and splashes it about to help cool the condensing coil during hot times of use. It likes to drain out of a hole on the "near" rear-left even though it is designed to drain out of a notch in the very rear of the unit. This unit caught me by surprise....The outer cabinet shell does NOT come off and has to be installed all in one piece...so I err'd on the side of safety of being sure the hole was plenty large enough for the unit cause I didn't want to lift a 60 pound unit too many times just to see if it fits.

<b>During your unit installation....</b> just make sure you tilt the unit slightly enough to make the water drain to the side you "want" it to and to put 1/2 bubble on your level of tilt to the outside so the water will drain to the rear of the unit. So there you have it....Shoot, if I lived closer to you, I would come over today to help you install it.!! :-)

Best of luck Bob and there ain't nuttin' like havin' A/C in the shop!!!!! :)

Dennis Peacock
07-20-2003, 9:01 AM
Well.....the heat index today will be around 110 degrees.......it is now....<br>
<font size="=+2" color="blue">74 Degrees in my shop!!!!</font> :)

Steve Clardy
07-21-2003, 9:33 AM
One of those would cool my office space. I was about to make a Midnight run down south to relieve you of the problem of installing them if you hadn't got them up and running yet. lol.
Steve :D