PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Jack-Plane

Patricia Kindermann
04-11-2022, 11:49 AM
Your help, please. Should there be a number on the Craftsman plane? I can't seem to find one. It really could use some fine tuning and some TLC. The sole measures 14" x 2.5"
Thank you.

steven c newman
04-11-2022, 3:06 PM
Made by Millers Falls, to be sold at sears.....numbers will be on the left cheek, down along the sole. Numbers will also be stamped in the top of the iron

Jim Koepke
04-11-2022, 4:46 PM
Planes branded specifically for retail outlets often didn't have the usual markings of planes made to sell under the makers name.

Often they do have components of the makers' design features. In this case the hump around the front knob, the frog and depth adjuster and the end of the lateral lever are common to Millers Falls planes.

jtk

steven c newman
04-11-2022, 5:39 PM
I have two such Craftsman Jack planes.....same blue oval on the lever cap. One was made by Sargent & Co. The other by Millers Falls...

Only markings on either plane is the Craftsman logo on the iron...

I also seem to recall that Stanley also made Jack planes for Craftsman planes...with that same blue oval.

All depended on which company won that year's Contract...

Tom Bender
04-19-2022, 7:47 PM
You have a fairly good user there but not very valuable. If you epoxy the tote back together, sharpen it and clean the sole it can be put to work. If you want it pretty it's going to take a little more elbow grease.

Jim Davenport
04-21-2022, 11:05 AM
A while back, I picked an old #3 size Craftsman at a pawn shop. It was made by Sargent.
With a bit of clean up, and serious sharpening, it has become my favorite plane. It’s light, very handy, and the iron seems to hold an edge very well.