PDA

View Full Version : Router bit storage

David Tiell
04-10-2022, 11:18 AM
Hello! I'm going to build a wall cabinet to store a bunch of loose router bits. I was looking for nylon bushings, and the 1/4" ID are pretty easy to find. The 1/2" seem to be a little tougher to find, at least for me. May not be using the right search words. Anyway, has anyone just used 1/2" ID PVC pipe as bushings for your bit storage? The idea just clicked in my head. Good idea, or are there reasons I shouldn't use PVC?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Jamie Buxton
04-10-2022, 11:21 AM
Use a chunk of wood instead of plastic bushings. Just drill holes a bit larger than the diameter of the bits' shanks. Zero cost, and you get to play with wood instead of plastic.

John Kananis
04-10-2022, 11:22 AM
I don't have direction on your question but what's wrong with ply or even wood with 1/4 and 1/2 inch holes (recesses)? Do your bits get stuck or something? If so, just makes the recess a little more shallow.

Zachary Hoyt
04-10-2022, 11:31 AM
I use wood too, and it seems to work fine, but I don't use more than a dozen or so different router bits.

Alex Zeller
04-10-2022, 12:26 PM
If you are looking to use plastic Rockler sells a 10 pack of plastic inserts for router bits. You drill a 5/8 hole and push the insert in. I'm sure they come in both 1/4" and 1/2". Or, as most people do, you can just drill a hole in wood.

David Tiell
04-10-2022, 12:52 PM
Thanks, everyone! Guess I was overthinking it. Thought I might have moisture or expansion/contraction issues with humidity swings in wood. Apparently I worry too much!

Dave

Patrick Varley
04-10-2022, 1:23 PM
If you are looking to use plastic Rockler sells a 10 pack of plastic inserts for router bits. You drill a 5/8 hole and push the insert in. I'm sure they come in both 1/4" and 1/2". Or, as most people do, you can just drill a hole in wood.

I like the Rockler inserts. They hold the bits securely, which works as I store them vertically. Also, I always get OCD about how many of each size of hole to drill, so I like that flexibility of one insert for both sizes. Objectively probably not worth the price premium, but I spend money on more ridiculous things.

Router Bit Storage Inserts (https://www.rockler.com/rockler-router-bit-storage-inserts-10-pack)

Alex Zeller
04-10-2022, 6:52 PM
I like the Rockler inserts. They hold the bits securely, which works as I store them vertically. Also, I always get OCD about how many of each size of hole to drill, so I like that flexibility of one insert for both sizes. Objectively probably not worth the price premium, but I spend money on more ridiculous things.

Router Bit Storage Inserts (https://www.rockler.com/rockler-router-bit-storage-inserts-10-pack)

Rockler has a nice selection of gadgets and jigs for woodworkers.

Bruce Wrenn
04-10-2022, 8:54 PM
Get a piece of 1/2" PEX pipe and saw off the needed sleeves.

Marc Fenneuff
04-10-2022, 9:16 PM

This.

I made L-shaped shelves and hung them on French cleats. Being able to put 1/4 and 1/2 shanks in the same insert is really handy.

Von Bickley
04-10-2022, 10:35 PM
I just drilled some 1/4" and 1/2" holes in the wood shelves.

Tom M King
04-11-2022, 8:12 AM
I store a lot of my router bits in routers.

Alan Lightstone
04-11-2022, 8:20 AM
I used MDF blocks, but drilled the holes only 1/2" diameter. With a little swelling from humidity, the bits are a little tight to remove. I also suggest making slightly larger holes for the bits. Makes life easier.

The advantage I found in this approach is that I could put Brother labels on each bit cube, stating dimensions of the bit. Helps a lot.

Brian Holcombe
04-11-2022, 9:12 AM
I fitted rubberized foam blocks into a tool chest. Works great.

Mike Kees
04-11-2022, 10:37 AM
I store a lot of my router bits in routers.
LOL, I resemble this remark. A Makita trim router followed me home the other day....not sure if that is 9 or 10 now.

glenn bradley
04-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Router bits can be like rabbits if you use a fair number of profiles. Random $5 bit sales at woodworking shows may add to the mayhem although I haven't seen one of those in years. I use Plano tackle boxes.

477411 . 477412

The keep the bits from bumping into each other, don't require me to grab the bit by the sharp end, and allow storage for extra bearings and the wrenches such things require.

I keep the 1/4" and 1/2" profile bits, straight with bearings and straight without that I use most handy at the router table.

Overflow and task specific sets go in draws below.

Once I go to a certain number of bits storing them in a row got out of hand :)

P.s. After use I brush off the bearing(s) and put a drop of bearing oil on. I have not had a bearing wear out since I started doing this over 15 years ago. The bits of paper towel absorb any oil seepage and keep the plastic bins fairly clean.

John Kananis
04-11-2022, 11:10 AM
I still say wood or ply. If you want to fit either 1/4 or 1/2 inch in both holes, simply drill the 1/2 inch first and then come back with a 1/4" bit and drill a little deeper.

Jon Endres
04-11-2022, 2:04 PM
I, too, use the Plano tackle boxes, only because I really didn't have a better way to store them. It's been 20+ years now so I guess I'm happy with them.

I am building a new router table, though, and want to keep my most commonly used bits right at hand. I bought a couple packs of the Rockler inserts and will be using them. Remains to be seen how I like them.

I have always had bad luck with drilling holes in wood. Either the wood shrinks and swells, sticking the bit; or I get rust. NO thanks.

Warren Lake
04-11-2022, 2:13 PM
ive just drilled holes in pine shelves 7/8 thick. I countersink them slightly and if it ever was a bit tight just holding a hand drill in the hole some point after the original hole was drilled on the drill press will increase it a bit. No rust issues and on some bad days ive hit over 90 percent humidity. Same as shaper cutters i want it on the wall where I can see then and close to eye level.