PDA

View Full Version : new Grizzly G0452 6" jointer ?

Allen Prell
01-19-2006, 2:24 PM
I'm looking for a 6" jointer and am leaning toward the new Grizzly G0452. Unfortunately, I cannot find any reviews of this machine. Does anyone own a G0452 yet and can you provide any feedback regarding performance?

John Hemenway
01-19-2006, 2:49 PM
I have that jointer and did a VERY mini review at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27988

Setup was easy except for two bolts holding jointer to base. You have to reach up thru DC port. It's a blind hole to find and my chubby arms don't fit so well. :) Not that big of a hassle so don't let that stop you.

Cut quality is great, fit and finish also. Knives and outfeed were right on out of the box. I really like the built in mobile base. Great price, too.

Any other questions?

Samson Jones
02-07-2006, 1:06 PM
I just purchased a G0452 from Grizzly. I am not as happy with mine. I am still working on getting it "tweeked in. I have had to shim the outfeed table to be parallel to the infeed, it does not have the springs in the cutter head described on the web site and in the user doc, the fence gouged the infeed and outfeed tables in the first couple uses. The bottom of the fence to fence rack and pinion arm mount was roughly ground and had to be shimmed to be parallel to the tables, and the fence mount was pinned to the frame such that the flat was below the outfeed table, requiring lifting the fence up to go further onto the table. I filed the bottom of the fence guide, and pulled the rolled pin from the fence mount to be able to raise it up level with the table.

When I get a chance now I can see if it works better now that I have shimmed, reworked, and re-built it.

Mark Rios
02-07-2006, 3:32 PM
I just purchased a G0452 from Grizzly. I am not as happy with mine. I am still working on getting it "tweeked in. I have had to shim the outfeed table to be parallel to the infeed, it does not have the springs in the cutter head described on the web site and in the user doc, the fence gouged the infeed and outfeed tables in the first couple uses. The bottom of the fence to fence rack and pinion arm mount was roughly ground and had to be shimmed to be parallel to the tables, and the fence mount was pinned to the frame such that the flat was below the outfeed table, requiring lifting the fence up to go further onto the table. I filed the bottom of the fence guide, and pulled the rolled pin from the fence mount to be able to raise it up level with the table.

Sorry to hear about your new jointer troubles Samson. When I had my G1182Z a couple of years ago I didn't find the springs until I had to adjust one of the knives. I then found that they were actually under the jack screws; IIRC, I had to take the screws all the way out to see them. Don't know if this is the same on yours but I just wanted to mention it.

Shiraz Balolia
02-07-2006, 3:52 PM
When I get a chance now I can see if it works better now that I have shimmed, reworked, and re-built it.

Samson - sorry to hear of your problem. You should not have to "shim", "re-work" or "re-build" a new machine. Please PM me your order number and we will get the machine changed out for you.
Thanks.

Marcus Ward
02-07-2006, 4:56 PM
I have that jointer, just bought it a few weeks ago. Setup was very easy and the output is perfect. I had none of the issues described. My only nit to pick is that now I wish I'd gone ahead and gotten the 8" so I could have the longer beds. Some of the stuff I joint is a pain to put through on a bed that short.

Samson Jones
02-08-2006, 8:45 AM
Shiraz,

Thank you for your quick response. I have never heard anything but good comments about Grizzly equipment or support.

Steve Mayhew
02-08-2006, 3:08 PM
When I suscribed to sawmill creek I was leary of putting my real name on the web in any forum. I have had great success with this forum so it is time to come clean with my real identity. Hope there are no hard feelings. I will from now on use my real identity, and Samson Jones will fade into obscurity.

Steve Mayhew
02-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I just got off the phone with Grizzly Customer Service. They are shipping me out a replacement unit, which they will inspect first.

This is more like what I have heard about Grizzly in the past. They were very courtious and helpfull.

Steve Mayhew
( Formerly posted as Samson Jones.)

Steve Mayhew
02-20-2006, 12:43 PM
After the work I did on the jointer I am very happy with the performance. I was able to edge joint 77" long pine boards as straight as I can check with my 4' machined edge level. :) This was practice for the 77" quartersawn white oak I need to joint for my entertainment center. (The reason I got the jointer in the first place.)

My replacement jointer has now arrived. I just need to find time set it up and get back to my projects. I'm sure I will be happy with it's performance as well.

Thanks Grizzly for the prompt and courtious service!

vincent jesuele
04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
i've been woodworking for more than 30 years. i just purchased and received this jointer $395 plus shipping. i couldn't be happier. this is a nice machine. the cabinet is one piece steel and very sturdy. i assembled the machine in about 45 minutes. the instructions could be better but if you are handy (and i would bet that anyone buying a jointer is) it's easy to figure out. the bed was true and perfectly aligned out of the box. the jointer bed is quite heavy but i managed to pick it up myself and muscle it up to the stand. it cuts very well. this is a very high quality machine expecially considering the price. i would definitely recommend it.

Butch Edwards
04-21-2008, 1:23 PM
I have that jointer, just bought it a few weeks ago. Setup was very easy and the output is perfect. I had none of the issues described. My only nit to pick is that now I wish I'd gone ahead and gotten the 8" so I could have the longer beds. Some of the stuff I joint is a pain to put through on a bed that short.

same here... no issues, but I shoulda gone to the 8" instead...:)