PDA

View Full Version : Miter gauge slots in an outfeed table

Jason White
04-08-2022, 6:12 PM
Here's a little video showing a jig I threw together so I could cleanly rout some slots in the top of my outfeed table. Beginner-level stuff, but I imagine we have a few in the group. Hopefully it helps somebody. Have a great weekend!

https://youtu.be/UbLM8bSR3GM

David Buchhauser
04-08-2022, 6:48 PM
Very nicely done!
David

Maurice Mcmurry
04-09-2022, 6:48 AM
Liked and subscribed. You have a nice, tidy, well thought out space.

Matt Day
04-09-2022, 9:07 AM
Your method is a lot more complicated than mine, which is a board clamped to table as a guide.

Ole Anderson
04-09-2022, 9:12 AM
Nice job, I always enjoyed making jigs, others see them as a needed waste of time.

Jason White
04-09-2022, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Ole! I used to dread making jigs but now I think it’s kinda fun.

Nice job, I always enjoyed making jigs, others see them as a needed waste of time.

Jason White
04-09-2022, 10:08 AM
I’ve done that, too. But I find this method to be a bit more goof-proof.

Your method is a lot more complicated than mine, which is a board clamped to table as a guide.

Jason White
04-09-2022, 10:09 AM
Thanks, Maurice! It’s taken me a lot of years to get my shop to this point.

Liked and subscribed. You have a nice, tidy, well thought out space.

Alan Schwabacher
04-09-2022, 1:31 PM
It looks good. For those without room for a full sized permanent outfeed table, one that folds down is nice. In that case, a short one with grooves can be hinged to a longer part without grooves. Even a very short outfeed table is useful.

Bruce Page
04-09-2022, 1:40 PM
Slick jig Jason. My method was similar to Matt’s. What I’m really impressed with is the dust collection on your router. MDF is horrible stuff to route!

Edward Weber
04-09-2022, 4:29 PM
"My wife asked me to take her to one of those restaurants where they make the food right in front of you. So, I took her to Subway and that’s how the fight started."
thanks for the laugh, SWMBO liked it

One suggestion on the out-feed table is to use Melamine, if possible.
It reduces friction and wears pretty well.
The slot is for the splitter/blade guard, the 3 small holes are leveling screws.
Just some suggestions

Kris Cook
04-10-2022, 12:41 AM
Nice job of presenting

Jason White
04-10-2022, 6:51 AM
I applied poly and paste wax to the MDF. Works great.

"My wife asked me to take her to one of those restaurants where they make the food right in front of you. So, I took her to Subway and that’s how the fight started."
thanks for the laugh, SWMBO liked it

One suggestion on the out-feed table is to use Melamine, if possible.
It reduces friction and wears pretty well.
The slot is for the splitter/blade guard, the 3 small holes are leveling screws.
Just some suggestions

Matt Day
04-10-2022, 8:34 PM
What I really need to do is get a router attachment to mount the router in my Festool tracks. That would work great for this type of task.

Alan Lightstone
04-13-2022, 8:58 AM
I've used Formica sheets glued to the top of baltic birch plywood sheets precut and glued with the slot thickness already established. The issue is avoiding tearout, then routing the slots with a pattern bit. Not impossible, but I'm not sure I'd do it again that way.

Jason White
04-13-2022, 9:31 AM
You can, and I’ve done it that way. But it took me ten minutes to make the jig and cost me nothing.

What I really need to do is get a router attachment to mount the router in my Festool tracks. That would work great for this type of task.

Rod Sheridan
04-13-2022, 9:33 AM
Looks good Jason, I simply used a dado stack in the table saw when I had a saw with an outfeed table.........Regards, Rod.