PDA

View Full Version : Palm Router Bits

Jerry Solomon
04-08-2022, 3:45 PM
I just bought my first palm router (Bosch PR20EV) and now I need ¼” shank bits for it. I’m looking for advice on what type of bits to buy and specific brands that you could recommend.

mike stenson
04-08-2022, 4:02 PM
I really like whiteside, some people really like CMT, others Freud. To be honest, all of those brands have been good when I've used them.. yet I still have mostly whiteside (also happen to be easily acquired locally).

Type of bit, buy when you need it.

glenn bradley
04-08-2022, 5:25 PM
Whiteside, Freud, and whatever. In that order.

Erich Elfeldt
04-08-2022, 6:40 PM
1. Whiteside (made in USA)
2. Amana (made in Israel)
3. CMT/Freud (Made in Italy)

Zachary Hoyt
04-08-2022, 9:32 PM
I like Whiteside bits too, and usually buy them on eBay.

Rich Engelhardt
04-09-2022, 7:45 AM
Yonico - from Amazon - are pretty decent economy priced bits.
Once you settle down to what you want to use it for the most, then you can switch over to the better bits - like Whiteside, Freud, Amana and Eagle America.

glenn bradley
04-09-2022, 1:36 PM
Rich hits on an excellent point. If you are unsure of the profiles you will commonly use, inexpensive bits are a great way to figure that out. Whiteside, Eagle, and Klingspor are all made by Whiteside.

Tom M King
04-09-2022, 4:37 PM
Only the high end Eagle bits are made by Whiteside. They are good ones.

Billy Stray
04-09-2022, 4:54 PM
I'd just grab a set of various 1/4 inch shank profiles it'll get you going, then replace them with better quality as needed.
An 1/8 inch radius round over is nice to have around with a router like that .

Rod Wolfy
04-09-2022, 5:00 PM
I bought a set of random edge profile bits from Freud, then bought a 1/4“ set of round over & a 1/4“ set of "plywood sized“ slot bits from Freud when I got more palm routers.

Jerry Solomon
04-09-2022, 9:15 PM
Thanks for all of your advice.

Charles Taylor
04-10-2022, 8:29 AM
The majority of mine are by Whiteside, which several others have mentioned already. I also have a number from Infinity Tools, which have been really good. Bosch-branded bits can be found in at least one of the big box stores, and they've been good.

Stan Calow
04-10-2022, 1:50 PM
Agree with the rec for Eagle-America bits. Get a basic set. I use most often small roundover bits and straight 1/4 - 3/8" bits with the trimmer. My understanding is that a lot of bit brands are made by the same few companies, just different paint jobs.

Myles Moran
04-10-2022, 2:56 PM
I'd say infinity tool bits are pretty darn close to CMT/Whiteside/Freud. And MLCS is a good economy brand to try out different profiles.

Alan Lightstone
04-11-2022, 8:25 AM
1. Whiteside (Can usually get at Woodcraft, though inventory is hit and miss)
2. Amana (Get online, Amazon, etc...)
3. CMT/Freud (Online. Sometimes the Freud bit I need is in Woodcraft)
4.) Infinity Tools (local to me. Easy to pick up. Nice guys.)
4.) MLCS (Prefer the Eagle ones. Online.)

Don't have that many Amana ones, but they have been very high quality. Frankly, all of these have worked well for me.