PDA

View Full Version : Harvey 3HP c14 Band Saw

Pat Haygood
04-08-2022, 3:30 PM
Would like some opinion on the Havey C14 3HP bandsaw

Curt Harms
04-09-2022, 8:24 AM
Is that the saw that Laguna sold as their SUV? Those got pretty good reviews. One concern I would have is if you wanted to run carbide blades. Most carbide blades are .032" thick and may fatigue and fail prematurely running around 14" wheels. 16" bandsaws are usually the minimum sized recommend for carbide blades. I have a Lenox TriMaster 1/2" that is .025" thick, same as common steel blades. .025" carbide bandsaw blades are not common though.

Clifford McGuire
04-09-2022, 11:51 AM
I've had one for about 6 months. Anything in particular you'd like to know?

Pat Haygood
04-09-2022, 1:40 PM
Just can't find much about it. most are representing Harvy. how was the delivery and then the setup? Quality of workmanship, and customer support.

Dwayne Watt
04-09-2022, 7:00 PM
I have had one for a short time (2 months). Delivery was perfect. The unit is 99% assembled. Just relocate the on/off switch box, install an allen wrench bracket, and install the leveling feet. I installed a longer power cord and that was the biggest job overall other than removing the grease from the table and trunnions.
The packaging was especially impressive. The saw is bolted to a wood pallet and surrounded by an engineered paperboard box that was roughly 20 mm thick. Very strong packaging that we donated to a local community theater group for set construction! The pallet itself was plywood construction that was not salvageable for anything so we donated that to the same theater group for storage use.
One person can get the saw off the pallet but two people make it easier. I also bought the Harvey mobile base. It is ok, but there are probably better ones if needed. The saw really needs to be bolted to the mobile base for better stability when moved. There are extra holes in the base suitable for this. No stability issues thus far when actually in use.
The table and miter slot were perfectly square to the blade. The fence was probably close enough for most folks but I tweaked it ever so slightly to improve its square to the blade and miter slot.
No need for customer support beyond a question about shipping schedule which was answered promptly. It took a few days before being shipped despite being in stock. It also sat in a transit warehouse for several days before being delivered. Total delivery time for me was just over 2 weeks. I see no reason to be concerned about buying this bandsaw. It runs smooth and cuts well. The stock blade is not so great, though. I bought an assortment of Timberwolf blades to fix that problem.

Clifford McGuire
04-10-2022, 12:53 PM
Dwayne gave a good summary. I agree with unit being almost ready to go out of the box.

I did have a problem with the power switch. Support was short-staffed, and it took a couple days to get through to a technician. They sent me a new switch and the problem has gone away.

I am not a fan of their mobile base. It is plywood and not as ridgid as my others (even though I doubled the plywood to two 3/4 inch pieces).

But overall, I think it's a great value for the money. Dust collection seems good. It has both an upper and lower port. I'm about to embark on a lot of resawing, so I'll know more in a couple months.

Pat Haygood
04-10-2022, 5:02 PM
thanks a lot this helps. now to just make a move and order.

Dwayne Watt
04-10-2022, 8:26 PM
Today's price of $xxxx is about as good as it gets anymore. Harvey prices move all over the place depending on the day. They tend to throw in a Bridge City tool as a spiff during their periodic sales events like the one ending tonight.