PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Waterlox finish

Brian Runau
04-07-2022, 7:16 PM
I have this on the top of a dresser I built and it will not cure. Been 5 weeks and felt still Interacts with the finish. I put a piece of thin cardboard under a heavy item and in 6 hours it left an Impression in the finish. I plan to remove the fi is and start over. What can use to strip off the Waterlox and then the shellac underneath that. Thanks brian

Michael Schuch
04-09-2022, 2:42 AM
Since it isn't fully cured mineral spirits may work? For the shellac alcohol would be the the obvious answer. I think I would try a scotch bright with them. I would guess that any of the commercial strippers would do the job quite well since it hasn't fully cured.

I haven't used Waterlox in a long time but I just looked at a shelf I built 30 years ago and finished with Waterlox. It is holding up well but it isn't the hardest finish. I am kind of surprised you had problems with it, but I have never used it on top of shellac. These days I mix my own oil based finishes and use a few drops of Japan drier which seems to speed up curing for me.

Brian Runau
04-09-2022, 12:22 PM
I went with the nuclear option. Paint stripper. Tomorrow I start the finishing process over. Brian

John TenEyck
04-09-2022, 5:11 PM
What stripper did you use Brian? I haven't had to buy any of the non MC based ones yet as I still had a gallon of the good stuff, KleanStrip Premium. But it's nearly gone so at some point I'm going to need something. Thanks.

John

Brian Runau
04-09-2022, 6:29 PM
What stripper did you use Brian? I haven't had to buy any of the non MC based ones yet as I still had a gallon of the good stuff, KleanStrip Premium. But it's nearly gone so at some point I'm going to need something. Thanks.

John

Jasco premium in a red Camfrog Lowe's. 1st coat 15 min clean off 2nd coat 15 min clean off. Washed with mineral spirits and then denatured alcohol. Brian

John TenEyck
04-09-2022, 8:08 PM
Thanks very much Brian.

John

Brian Runau
04-10-2022, 10:02 AM
Stripped the finish yesterday, sanded and restained this morning with water based powdered walnut. Think the screw up was I used regular shellac to seal the walnut and waterlox does not like this. Brian

John TenEyck
04-10-2022, 10:20 AM
That looks terrific Brian, worth the effort it took. I have always thought that OB varnishes worked OK over regular (wax containing) shellac, though I don't recall ever using that combination myself. Interesting that it may not be so.

Are you sure your Waterlox is still good? I would confirm by putting a little on a piece of glass to see if it cures hard.

John

Brian Runau
04-10-2022, 10:46 AM
That looks terrific Brian, worth the effort it took. I have always thought that OB varnishes worked OK over regular (wax containing) shellac, though I don't recall ever using that combination myself. Interesting that it may not be so.

Are you sure your Waterlox is still good? I would confirm by putting a little on a piece of glass to see if it cures hard.

John

Thanks john, "my nervousness exists on several levels." Fairly recent purchase for this job, so I think so. Chip at Waterlox was extremely helpful in helping me figure out what might be the problem.

Brian Runau
04-10-2022, 1:26 PM
wax free sealer and gunstock stain over this. dry overnight then 3 coats of waterlox. cross my fingers. brian

John TenEyck
04-11-2022, 11:00 AM
Test samples, start to finish, prevent a lot of heartache and extra work.

John

Edwin Santos
04-11-2022, 11:43 AM
wax free sealer and gunstock stain over this. dry overnight then 3 coats of waterlox. cross my fingers. brian

Good save here. What kind of wax free sealer did you use?

This is good information, to know that waxy shellac is incompatible with waterlox.

Robert LaPlaca
04-11-2022, 9:23 PM
I haven’t had any issue applying Waterlox OSF over either Sealcoat or wax free shellac flakes dissolved in Denatured alcohol.

Brian Runau
04-12-2022, 7:39 AM
Good save here. What kind of wax free sealer did you use?

This is good information, to know that waxy shellac is incompatible with waterlox.

Edwin, I used. Bullseye wax free sealer. Brian

Brian Runau
04-12-2022, 7:40 AM
I haven’t had any issue applying Waterlox OSF over either Sealcoat or wax free shellac flakes dissolved in Denatured alcohol.

Wax free is fine, I used std shellac in error. Brian