PDA

View Full Version : Shape cutter storage

Mitch schiffer
04-06-2022, 1:58 PM
Is there a company that makes a rack or something specifically for storage of shaper cutters? I need a better storage solution but I don't really have the space near my shaper for a tool box. I could fit a rack similar to the ones used to hold tooling for cnc that I have seen in machine shops. My Google searches didn't prove to be very effective.

Jeff Roltgen
04-06-2022, 2:38 PM
Mitch,
I was stumped too, so I made this wall cab with removable trays. Some cutter heads came with additional spacers, even torx wrenches, and of course, spare carbide bits to keep together. Smaller cutters can be batched on to multi-post trays, as well as spindle spacers. Bottoms are notched to accept spoon-style shelf pins, allowing me to angle these forward for easier identification. Spacer rings lift the cutter head well above parts trays, keeping the delicate carbide tips safer.
I can grab a cutter, set it on the shaper table, protecting it and the head from damage, and all related tools/spacers/shims/spare carbide tips come right to the machine with it. Tooling can easily meet or exceed the cost of the shaper itself, so protecting and organizing is imperative.

jeff

Warren Lake
04-06-2022, 4:23 PM
I just use wall cabinets with dadoes cut at an angle so cutters lean back. Its all visually right in front of you. I dont want doors or pull out drawers in cabinets, cabinets take up floor space.

Wall cabs if you have the space are simple always worked fine for me.

Patrick Kane
04-06-2022, 4:41 PM
I have slatwall throughout my shop, and my shaper cutterheads, collars, spacers, and bushing all go on separate hooks clipped into the slatwall. Most of my steel body cutterheads are 5-8lbs, and its no problem on regular MDF slatwall. I think the coated metal hooks were $0.35 a piece.

Jeff's cabinet is the woodworker's solution to this problem.

Mike Kees
04-06-2022, 8:23 PM
Jeff that cabinet is amazing. You must have a CNC to play with. I really like the tray approach to keep everything together. My cutters are in a cabinet on the wall right behind my shapers. Was just thinking today that I should probably throw a couple GRK's in to make sure it does not fall off the wall.

Mitch schiffer
04-06-2022, 9:03 PM
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to not have to build a cabinet since I have a large 4x8 window behind my shaper. I would have to get creative to mount a wall cabinet there.

Warren Lake
04-06-2022, 9:22 PM
yeah understand that windows are sacred more so when a nice view

Greg Quenneville
04-06-2022, 11:09 PM
I am in awe of Jeff's cabinet, but have to go the wall mounted route in my little shop. I would want some secure mounting though so that the tooling cannot walk off the pegs in case of a seismic event.

About 28 years ago I visited a California Porsche specialty shop that rebuilt roller bearing cranskshafts for the ultra rare 550 Spyders (James Dean type). They lost about a million bucks worth of parts that walked off the wall in an earthquake. I remain haunted by that.

Jim Becker
04-07-2022, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to not have to build a cabinet since I have a large 4x8 window behind my shaper. I would have to get creative to mount a wall cabinet there.
I had that situation in my old shop...a 4x8 "picture" window that the previous property owner had the builder put in when the structure was put up. It was really great for a "potting shed" function, but demanded creativity to make it usable space. For many years I had a cantilevered miter station with some material support above mounted to shop made 4x4 ash posts. It allowed all the light in but provided the support required for the functions asked of it. I did eventually take that out a few years ago and honestly, covered all but the top foot of the window with a temporary wall. (There's a thread about that here somewhere) But the use of posts as I mentioned is one way to be able to get some storage up in that kind of situation without blocking off most of the light. If you consider that, also consider painting the back side (side toward the window) flat black so it's less noticeable from outside.