PDA

View Full Version : Rough cut white pine source, near Boston?

roger wiegand
04-06-2022, 8:25 AM
I want to build a half dozen screech owl nesting boxes and would like to use rough sawn eastern white pine, the plans call for a nominal 1x12 board. Can anyone recommend a good source around eastern MA? From the sawmill listings I've seen it's hard to distinguish the pallet mills from places sawing higher quality lumber and most of them are a fairly long drive away-- with the current price of diesel I don't want to make a grand tour. It doesn't need to be furniture quality, but should be sound.

Curt Harms
04-06-2022, 8:41 AM
Roger, I checked on woodfinder . com. It came up with 3 suppliers of white pine within less than 100 miles of zip code 02740. That might provide a place to start but needless to say, call before you go.

Bob McBreen
04-06-2022, 9:40 AM
Highland hardwoods in Brentwood NH carries white pine. Morse hardware in Wells Maine is my local store. They have a separate building for pine. Huge selection in multiple grades.

Holmes Anderson
04-06-2022, 10:01 AM
Highland hardwoods in Brentwood NH carries white pine. Morse hardware in Wells Maine is my local store. They have a separate building for pine. Huge selection in multiple grades.

It would be a good idea to call ahead. Full bins at Highland are sometimes empty the following day - particularly with ash lately. They did have rough EWP in that width when I was there last week. You might be able to find some long enough for your project in the shorts bins.

al ladd
04-06-2022, 1:04 PM
In state, though a haul from Boston, and a guy who mills the lumber you'd be buying himself:

https://denisonloggingandlumber.com/

John Lanciani
04-06-2022, 4:25 PM
Try Bingham Lumber in Brookline NH; 603-673-4549

roger wiegand
04-07-2022, 7:50 AM
Thanks all, I make the trip up to Highland every few months.Was hoping I could find someone milling wood closer by-- they certainly cut enough trees! I will check out the woodfinder and other leads. There is a guy with a portable bandsaw mill who shows up at the Topsfield fair, I'll try to figure out who that is as well.

Jason White
04-08-2022, 6:19 PM
Downes & Reader, perhaps? They're in Stoughton.