PDA

View Full Version : House jack??

Bruce Volden
01-19-2006, 1:22 PM
We had to purchase a new wash machine as other is toast. Got talked into one of those new front load highly effecient models.

Problem is, it spins a 1000 RPM and shakes the floor and dances around in the laundry room!! I should mention our house is 120 yrs. old, but still solid (maybe??).

I went to the BORG and bought one of them thar house jacks and plan on beefing up the joists under the laundry room. QUESTION; is this as straight forward as I think it might be or can you Creekers offer any tips, etc. Your advice is as usual, greatly appreciated.

Bruce

Tyler Howell
01-19-2006, 1:33 PM
[quote=Bruce Volden]We had to purchase a new wash machine as other is toast. Got talked into one of those new front load highly effecient models.

Problem is, it spins a 1000 RPM and shakes the floor and dances around in the laundry room!! I should mention our house is 120 yrs. old, but still solid (maybe??).

Bruce I'm thinking the washer is the problem If the machine can be leveled it shouldn't dance.

Steve Clardy
01-19-2006, 1:40 PM
Have you got all the shipping bolts out of the back of the washer?
They used to have a few bolts back there that tied the tub to the casing, for shipping purposes, to keep things from banging around in there.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-19-2006, 1:42 PM
Bruce, you will love a new front load, they really are great. That said I think there is something up with your washer, it shouldn't dance around :)

Andy Hoyt
01-19-2006, 2:12 PM
We got one these a couple of years ago. You will love the machine.

What you won't love is the leveling process.

It must be dead on accurate, or it will shimmy, shake, rattle, and roll.

Took me hours and hours of trial and error. In the old days I could level the case and be happy. These days, the case and the guts are largely independent. At least that was what I determined on mine.

Bruce Volden
01-19-2006, 3:04 PM
We've been using it since Dec., it was installedd by the seller. I personally even checked the level with the trusty bubble level and it was DEAD ON!

I must note guys, that even the old washer shook the "house" during spin cycle. If I go into the room and "bounce" it can be noticed in the dining room area-that's why I thought a house jack could possibly help??!

Bruce

Ken Garlock
01-19-2006, 4:47 PM
Bruce, try running an empty load through. If it is the machine, it will still vibrate badly. IF it does I would cash-in on a free service call. Maybe they didn't crank down all the mounts when it was assembled.:eek:

We have the Whrilpool Duet, and it does vibrate in the spin cycle, but it seems to be the worst when washing jeans or heavy towels.

Bruce Volden
01-19-2006, 6:32 PM
Thanks to all of you! I never thought of trying an empty load~~DUH!!
Now I just can't wait to wash-nothing:>) ;)

Norman Hitt
01-21-2006, 3:13 AM
Thanks to all of you! I never thought of trying an empty load~~DUH!!
Now I just can't wait to wash-nothing:>) ;)

If you DO have to level and brace up under the floor, at least you are doing it at the right time of the year, as the snakes and spiders should be hibernating now. DAMHIKT :( If you have any questions on how to do this, PM me and I can give you a few tips to make it a little simpler.