PDA

View Full Version : Best glue to glue up a door built with knotty pine?

Daniel Bejarano
04-05-2022, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone,

What some of you think is the best glue for knotty pine? Regular wood glue would do it? Some of this pine is a bit oily

Lee Schierer
04-05-2022, 4:22 PM
I've glued knotty pine with regular Woodworkers PVA glue with no issues. About 3 years ago I disassembled a 20 year old large shelving unit that had numerous boards edge glued together. Not one of those glue joints failed. Two of the 38" long shelves had held an entire set of Encyclopedia Britannica for those 20 years.

I've encountered pitch pockets in knotty pine, but I don't recall ever feeling any that was oily. You could clean the joint surfaces with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner if you are concerned about surface contamination.

johnny means
04-05-2022, 8:00 PM
I always just use Titebond III, my standard glue. I have found that I can't rush stuff out of the clamps in an hour like I normally do. I've had large table tops just split at the seam if I don't let them cure fully. It seems as though the oily nature of the material doesn't let moisture escape as fast.

Michael Schuch
04-06-2022, 5:38 AM
I always just use Titebond III, my standard glue. I have found that I can't rush stuff out of the clamps in an hour like I normally do. I've had large table tops just split at the seam if I don't let them cure fully. It seems as though the oily nature of the material doesn't let moisture escape as fast.

Same here, Titebond III is pretty much all I use on most woodworking projects. I buy it by the gallon and transfer it to one of those bottom dispensing glue bottles squeezing the air out of the gallon jug after transfering. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WPJX2R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In a pinch I have even used Titebond that was WAY out of date and it still worked perfectly well. I have also used Gorilla type polyurethane glue some but prefer Titebond III for most uses.

Jim Becker
04-06-2022, 9:14 AM
Any kind of PVA is just fine. I use TB-I and TB-III depending on the nature of the project.