PDA

View Full Version : Mini DV Cameras

Andy London
01-19-2006, 12:35 PM
For Christmas the shop bought the better half a Canon Mini DV camcorder, it's the ZR series and an awsome little unit. Being a typical male I didn't read all the sales stuff properly, I simply saw you could plug this into your home PC and burn the video to a DVD, right up our alley as almost all of our relatives live far away.

So, I plug the cable in that comes with the unit. loaded the software only to learn this is only for the images....search the net and determine I need a firewire, no problem I buy one of these....Search the internet for further instructions and it seems I need software so I call Canon and they suggest Adobe Primere, fine until I find the price.....almost $900.00 Canadian.

Thus my question, what is a cheaper software that I can buy to transfer video from the camera to a DVD???

Thanks
Andy

Ryan Ricks
01-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Andy -

If all you want to do is basic transfers, look at what the firewire cards come with. Many come with (very) basic image transfer/DVD software already. For full editing you can't beat Premiere, but there are cheaper programs also. I prefer Premiere, but I usually use Ulead VideoStudio, about $80 (US) for the upgrade.

-Ryan

Andy London
01-19-2006, 1:17 PM
Andy -

If all you want to do is basic transfers, look at what the firewire cards come with. Many come with (very) basic image transfer/DVD software already. For full editing you can't beat Premiere, but there are cheaper programs also. I prefer Premiere, but I usually use Ulead VideoStudio, about $80 (US) for the upgrade.

-Ryan

All I want to do is transfer the vifeo on the Mini casette to a DVD, it would be nice, to be able to perhaps add a commentary.

I looked up the software you suggested, Thanks a bunch by the way, what do them mean by upgrade, upgrade from what to their program?

Thanks
Andy

Ryan Ricks
01-19-2006, 1:33 PM
They mean from an earlier version of their program. But they will allow you to upgrade if you have a previous version that was bundled with hardware. Conviently, the Firewire card I purchased included Videostudio SE for free. So I qualify for their upgrade.

BTW, I am also using a Canon ZR (the ZR200) - it has been a nice little camera.

-Ryan

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 3:22 PM
Adobe Premier Elements 2.0 is what I use. Under a hundred bucks and easy. (I upgraded both it and Photoshop Elements at the same time for even more savings)

Yes, you do need firewire to move and work with the video...you need the speed.

To date, I'm very happy with the above mentioned software as I learn to use it more and more. I also like that it supports the 16:9 format I use with my Sony HC-90.

John Hemenway
01-19-2006, 3:47 PM
Too bad you don't have a Mac. It's all included! Isn't there NLE (NonLinearEdit) software included w/ Windows? Though there was but might be XP level only. Jim's suggestion of Premier Elements is good. Looks like it will take care of both editing and DVD creation. There is a trial version at adobe.com. Usually there are steep discounts for educational purchases also, if you happen to be student, staff or faculty ( I don't know if this applies to our northern neighbors). Premier Elements is $60 (USD)w/ ed. pricing.

JayStPeter
01-19-2006, 4:10 PM
Adobe Premier Elements 2.0 is what I use. Under a hundred bucks and easy. (I upgraded both it and Photoshop Elements at the same time for even more savings)

I was just looking at that combo package the other day. Maybe I'll be able to do my own Avatar next time :cool: ;) .

I also got my wife a lower end Cannon mini-DV for Christmas. Good to know I'll need a firewire card also (when I get around to getting all the PC accessories to deal with DVD burning of movies).

Jay

Darrick Robbins
01-19-2006, 4:39 PM
Premier Elements is the way to go. I got it for $75 and it does all the things that non-professionals like ourselves need to do. It is a cool program, and to me a steal at $75. Enjoy
Darrick

Vaughn McMillan
01-19-2006, 6:21 PM
I've also got the Adobe Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements bundle, and have been very happy with both.

Andy, I've got an unused Ulead VideoStudio disk sitting around somewhere. (It came free with something, but I didn't need it.) If you're interested in it, PM me your snail mail address and I'll send it your way.

- Vaughn

Andy London
01-20-2006, 7:56 AM
Thanks so much to everyone, this is all new territory for me and we are really looking forward to being able to send our families video on DVD. I had lunch with our IT staff yesterday and mentioned what I am up to, I didn't realize we have Adobe Premiere Pro here at the office, I didn't ask what we use it for but it was on my desk this morning so I'll give it a shot this weekend.....may be back with more questions:)

I bought the house a new multimedia computer for christmas but personally have only used it once, I see it has a firewire port so I should be ready to rock and roll this weekend.....

Dave Richards
01-20-2006, 9:26 AM
Andy, since your computer has a firewire connection, you might look to see if there's already some software loaded that will let you do what you're after. Mine had it although I didn't like it and bought something else.

Easy way to check is to plug the firewire cable into camera and computer, turn the camcorder on to the playback mode and see what happens. Very likely your computer will see the camera and start up the appropriate software.

Tim Morton
01-20-2006, 4:54 PM
reading this makes me SO glad I have a mac....like my 15 year old daughter says looking up from her new iBook....dad why would anyone NOT buy a mac...why indeed/:cool: :cool: :cool: