PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a woodturner's forum?

Aaron Koehl
07-19-2003, 9:16 PM
Esteemed Members and Guests,

Here is an issue that has surfaced both here and at Badger Pond:

Should we create a woodturner's forum?

There are two primary sides to this issue, which
ultimately won out as a 'No' at Badger Pond--
Yet, as you all know-- this is SawmillCreek.

With the new software, particularly the View New Posts (www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew) feature,
all new posts can be viewed on the same page. Thus, we
don't lose solidarity by creating a new forum, while at the
same time, the extra forum helps with organization-- if you want
to go back and view all the posts related to turning, you simply
go directly to the turning forum. If you wish to read all new posts,
the software allows you to seamlessly view all forums to which you
are subscribed.

Incidentally, we have decided to post a POLL.
I yield the floor for discussion--

_Aaron_

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-19-2003, 9:55 PM
Although I am not YET a turner, I think a Woodturner's Forum would be a postive addition to Sawmill Creek. The Forums we have now are fantastic, any addition that may increase participation would be a good thing. My vote would be a YES!

John Miliunas
07-19-2003, 11:34 PM
Aaron, you bring up a fantastic point, that being, the ability to "View New Posts" as a whole. That pretty much leaves the viewer in the driver's seat, so to speak. Personally, I think that's *my* most used feature of this software. My "subject line" openly displays my vote! I'm OK with it either way, but once again, the "guys in charge" have demonstrated their concern for the membership and are making this one of THE best forums out there (woodworking OR otherwise!)! Many thanks for your efforts! :cool:

Ernie Kuhn
07-20-2003, 12:34 AM
Aaron,
Yes, please. I've got a Nova 3000 and have started some rudimentary turning. Not ready to compete just yet but certainly would look forward to a form. In the process of building a vacuum chucking system and will undoubtedly need some help along the way.
Again, yes please and...thank you guys so much for making 'the Creek' available.
Ernie

Doug Jones
07-20-2003, 7:28 AM
for what its worth, I say yes allow the new forum for turners.

Richard Allen
07-20-2003, 8:02 AM
There are currently 9 forums. I only ever look at the power tool form. Just because there is some means for me to see all new posts doesn't mean I would use that function. I don't use that function now and I doubt I would use it in the future. Instead I would go to the Power Tool Forum AND the Turner's Forum. Or more likely just the Turner's forum.

And what about messages that haven't been added to? Then I would have to visit 2 forums. Which I likely wouldn't do.

Can I make a custom forum? Can a forum be displayed based on my user ID and personal preferences? A vertual forum?

The technology Aaron mentions resolves one issue with spliting the Power Tool forum but I think there are other good reasons to keep the power tool forum as is.

Thanks

Richard

Don Farr
07-20-2003, 9:37 AM
Since it's Sunday morning, I say amen I'm all for it.

Keith Outten
07-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Everyone should note that our software provides the capability of selecting forums of interest and unselecting forums you may not enjoy.
You may also select/unselect individual threads as well.

At the bottom of each forum there is a selection to "Subscribe to this Forum" link. You manage your subscriptions in your "User CP" control panel. Learning to use vBulletin can provide you with the capability to build your own custom access to SawMill Creek. There are obviously more features in our software then most people are aware.

Guests cannot subscribe/unsubscribe to individual forums or customise their access here in any way. Our database cannot track viewed posts for guests either, the list of cool services that guests cannot use is very extensive. Members on the other hand have access to a very nice set of features that are designed to make their visits more informative and enjoyable.

Martin Shupe
07-20-2003, 2:24 PM
Way back in the beginning, when Sawmill Creek was just a trickle, I suggested a separate forum for wood turners.

At the time, the general consensus was they didn't want to be "stuck in a corner", but would rather be kept on the main power tool board.

Even the distinguished Bill Grumbine, my favorite turner, wanted to stay on the main board.

I think those original posts may have been dumped at the time of the first "crash", when someone who will remain nameless made an innocent mistake and lost the first few days worth of posts.

Personally, I am ok with it either way. Since I generally log in and click "search for new posts", I see all the boards anyway.

Phil Phelps
07-20-2003, 3:19 PM
... I think they could go directly to the subject they like best. Like a newspaper. You either read the sports page or you don't. Go for it. Kick it up a notch.

Jason Roehl
07-20-2003, 9:24 PM
Since I voted in the minority, I may as well share my view why. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not going to get all worked up about this; I don't really mind if it happens.

I don't believe the time is right for more forums here. I think the OT forum was a slight mistake as well. SMC is still young and budding, and the more segregation, the greater the appearance that it is a slow and irrelevant forum. If SMC were transmitting 5 times the data that it currently is (like that other popular forum), it would be a different story.

Anecdotally, the biggest complaint I've heard from people who don't or won't frequent this forum is that it is difficult to use (I disagree, of course), but let's not go out of our way to put obstacles in the way of potential members. I understand why they feel that the layout is tricky--I thought it to be quite overwhelming or "busy" myself when I first visited, but it's about like driving in a new city--you get used to it once you gain more familiarity.

The bottom line is that I don't think we need to encourage any more segregation. There is the whole "view new posts" feature, but I don't use it because I don't like the way it works in terms of marking threads read and so on. I'm sure I wouldn't be into turning right now were it not for the lack of a separate group on BP, and I am very thankful for being sucked into "the dark side" as I believe it has renewed my desire to woodwork and further my skills. (Neanders, you guys keep away from me for a while--my budget still has to recover from this lathe thingy.)

If anything, I would suggest a separate forum for pics of finished work. Neander, turned, flat all in one. I just can't help but feel like there's almost a "clique-ish" feel to having neanders over there, power tools here and a corner for turners.

As I said, I'm not going to draw lines in the sand over this, I just wanted to fully explain myself, which I may or may not have done, as I don't intend to go into this any further. I just wanted to share my thoughts (and prove that I'm not a lemming:D).

Bill Grumbine
07-20-2003, 9:59 PM
I am here to strengthen the minority a bit here, for some of the same reasons that Jason mentions. It is all very nice to have the list of forums, the technology to scan them quickly, etc, but it comes down to splitting us up and compartmentalizing the whole thing. While the forum is about woodworking in its various aspects, one of the things that made Badger Pond so successful was that we were pretty much all in one big room togther, except for the neanders. I barely knew any of them, or their work, just because I wasn't in the habit of going there.

On Wood Central, the turning forum languished for a long time, and almost died on several ocassions from lack of interest. It was only with the cessation of Badger Pond that many displaced turners started posting there.

I like being able to scroll down and look at the various things people are talking about, but it is taking a real effort to remember to do simple things like check my private message box - I just don't think to do it, and I have written many an apology to people who have written me privately just because their note sat unread for days, or even weeks before I stumbled on it. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I think it is the ease of seeing one anothers work, opinions, etc that helps us all get to know one another better, and it is that knowledge that makes the picnics that much more fun.

Oh and Martin, I am blushing. ;)

Bill

Bob Oswin
07-20-2003, 10:00 PM
I wonder if letting people decide how they want to do things can be such a bad idea?
It's the reason many of our families came here to the Americas.

I read pretty fast so I can cover a lot of ground quite quickly.

Put me down for choices.

Bob

Von Bickley
07-20-2003, 10:49 PM
While I don't do "round work", I still enjoy seeing other people's work while I cruise through the power tool forum. I vote to leave everything like it is.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lee Schierer
07-22-2003, 9:06 AM
We have plenty of forums now. Besides, it's kind of nice to see what the round wood workers are up to from time to time. Why not a separate forum for carpentry or cabinet makers too. How about a woodcarver or scrollsawing forum. Lets keep it simple! One place all the questions.

Getting too many splinter groups doesn't build a strong community and bring the wealth of knowledge to one central place.

If there is a post I don't care about I simply breeze past it and let it go. Sometimes I look and don't comment, when I have something to say I do.

Eric Apple - Central IN
07-22-2003, 9:38 AM
Well I like the combination of turning and flatwork in one forum. That's probably because I mostly use turning in combination with flat work. Also, I think there is a lot of cross over in finishing work. And the guys creating segmented turnings are always coming up with wild combinations of wood that can be used on flatwork. Not to mention the accurate ways they come up with cutting segments and doing quick glue ups. I wouldn't go looking for that. It's nice to see it mixed in and use their tips in ways they probably wouldn't expect.

It's not a big deal to have a seperate forum if the people who are primarily turners would benefit more from this site with their own forum. I prefer to hear from them in the same room as the flat working guys.

Ken Salisbury
07-22-2003, 9:55 AM
My personal opinion (aside from being a moderator) is not to have a unique turners' forum. Bill Grumbine, Lee Schierer and Jason Roehl have made some excellent points (along with others). The majority of "turners" are also "flat" woodworkers. Some of the same techniques are used in both types of work. I wouldn't call myself either a "flat guy" or a "round guy".

To seperate turners from others by a unique forum diminishes the "community" atmosphere, they are not lepers - they are woodworkers :D

Besides isn't a lathe a "power tool" - therefore: "The Power Tool Forum"

Bob Janka
07-22-2003, 12:42 PM
... Besides isn't a lathe a "power tool" - therefore: "The Power Tool Forum"

OK, Ken :)

Then, any work done with a bow lathe or a treadle lathe (hand-powered and foot-powered respectively) should be posted on the "Neanderthal Forum", right? ;)

Just a minor quip to inject a little humor... :D

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. I do both, even though turning has consumed me of late. Heck, last night I broke free from pen-turning and turned a toadstool out of a spalted oak branch from my firewood pile. Turned out pretty neat! ;)

Jim Fuller
07-22-2003, 12:43 PM
I think you get more input when it is lumped together. I like hand tools, and use them frequently, but almost never go to the Neanderthal forum.
I don't know why, but if there are new messages I read them. When I visit WC I almost never go to their site. I did on BP. So with all my rambling, I vote no to a seperate forum at this time.
Thanks
Jim

Rob Overton
07-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Several have said what I think. I do not think that more "Splinters" make for a smooth community. I would miss seeing Bill Grumbine's comments because I seldom go to other forums. It would be as if the turners do not do "power tool" projects.
For me put me down as a no. I won't fuss about it either way. I would just live with it. Rob

Tim Greif
07-24-2003, 12:56 PM
I think it should stay as it is now. Too many specialty forums would tend to split up the membership or "community" as it's referred to. I frequent some other engineering related tech forums where the categories are WAY too specialized and fragmented. I enjoy seeing more diverse discussion lumped into one place. You get to know the people better. Just my 2¢.

Kent Cori
07-28-2003, 10:45 PM
I'd prefer a separate forum and I would undoubtedly frequent both. A separate forum would make it easier for me to focus on one or the other topic category.

Dale Thompson
07-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Turners are NOT normal people!! We need all of the forums that we can get. That's because all of us need HELP! Believe it or not, many turners think that the world is actually ROUND! Can you imagine that level of mentality. :D

Seriously though, the more turning forums the better. Many folks give up on turning for very bad reasons. "Turning is only for artistic people". "I can't get a sharp tool". "Why does my skew, gouge, etc. always give me a "catch" on the last finishing touch?"

These, and many more are the reasons that many people quit turning and, thereby, deprive themselves of one of the real pleasures of life.

I've been turning for quite a few years and feel that I could learn from the questions of the most recent "newbie".

I would also hope that I could help to keep a few of them in the hobby if I had the chance to answer their questions. I know nothing but I could take a shot at a few of the most basic inquiries. ;)

Dale T.

Bryan Danner
07-30-2003, 9:16 AM
I vote "no" as well. Bill, Jason, Ken and others have stated my opinions very well. Besides....I'm not sure that I understand what the real benefits of such a change would be.

Bottom Line, I visit Woodcentral every day as well as Saw Mill Creek, but I very rarely look in their "Turners" forum. I only have a finite amount to time to browse the web, and the "perceived" extra time I would spend getting sucked into another forum keeps me from going in there. The same would happen here.

I'm not a turner, but I like to see what their up to when I browse the power tool forum. Perhaps one day, with you encouragement, I will take the leap!

-Bryan

Glenn Clabo
07-30-2003, 10:03 AM
My immediate reaction to this was to vote yes. However, as I read the comments and realize that some don't do as I do...read all the forums by clicking View New Posts...I'm taking back my yes vote.

I have participated in many forums and observed them begin to fall apart because some people began to feel left out. I really don't want that to happen here...even though I have refused to get caught up in the round world spiral by turning on my little lathe to do nothing but make a handle or fix something...

Bob Oswin
07-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Esteemed Members and Guests,

Here is an issue that has surfaced both here and at Badger Pond:

Should we create a woodturner's forum?

There are two primary sides to this issue, which
ultimately won out as a 'No' at Badger Pond--
Yet, as you all know-- this is SawmillCreek.

With the new software, particularly the View New Posts (www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew) feature,
all new posts can be viewed on the same page. Thus, we
don't lose solidarity by creating a new forum, while at the
same time, the extra forum helps with organization-- if you want
to go back and view all the posts related to turning, you simply
go directly to the turning forum. If you wish to read all new posts,
the software allows you to seamlessly view all forums to which you
are subscribed.

Incidentally, we have decided to post a POLL.
I yield the floor for discussion--

_Aaron_
As a test, for my own curiosty, I posted a project on last 'weekends doins' thread related to lathe work. (not too scientific but...)

- A home built steady rest.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?postid=22492&postcount=15

NOT as single reply?

Either the subject is of no interest to the membership at large or it was buried in what is becomming a very busy place.

While I understand the fellows that like to look at turners projects while they read the general powertool forum it makes continuity of information quite difficult should you be looking specifically for say... turning advice.

The message numbers are quite revealing with respect to the shear volume on this very popular sight.
So, if we want to attract more turners, they shouldn't have to go on a "scavenger hunt" for related information here.

Bob

Bart Leetch
07-30-2003, 12:56 PM
I don't have a problem with it either way I always view new posts & read almost everything anyway.

Hal Flynt
07-30-2003, 3:25 PM
I think another forum specifically for turning, projects, lathes and their tools, techniques would be good.

Laser woodworking is an example of an additional forum. I don't trun that much, but when I have a question

Just no to a separate Neanderthal Turning site, we have child labor issues to be careful of. :o

John Schreiber
07-30-2003, 4:26 PM
If too many forums is an issue, the "Design Forum" could be dropped.

Design issues are frequently discussed in the Power Tool Forum and there has been almost zero traffic in the Design Forum. It doesn't have a unique identity. It's not being used much, perhaps it should be cut.

Laser woodworking doesn't get much traffic either, but its identity is unique.

Keith Outten
07-30-2003, 5:49 PM
New forums are not a problem, it takes less than five minutes for us to create a standard forum. Some forums take a little more time if we must create masks or other features. We could easily have hundreds of individual forums if required.

The Design Forum will most likely grow in time, it has a specific purpose and will most likely be used heavily for sharing drawings and ideas.

The laser forum was made for me to share information concerning a new technology that isn't in the mainstream but will be in time. Recent duties have robbed most of my free time lately and I haven't been able to keep the forum up with the latest projects. My last two posts concerning engraving involved marble and I placed them in the OT Forum...it seemed to be more appropriate for the subject.

The issue of creating a separate forum for turning is being revisited because we felt like our members have now used this particular software enough to understand the new features and how they work. Now that we are all acclimated to vBulletin a majority might prefer to make adjustments to the forums and it is worth discussing. We want to remain flexible so that everyone continues to be comfortable with the organization here.

We will not create a new forum for turning unless there is significant support for the change based on the total number of active members. If a majority of our active members prefer a new forum or organizational change we will make the necessary changes.

Marc Broussard
07-30-2003, 7:27 PM
A turners forum? Maybe a bandsaw forum or a router forum? I can understand the neander forum ( quiet sorts they), but are we all not woodworkers? I liked the idea of a completed work site but like Bill G said, why split us up even further when our eventual goal is the same. If I have the need to talk exclusivily to turners there is the active forum a WC. The loss of the Pond and the exodus to WC and the advent of SMC have all contributed to build a community of like minds and craft that work very well without compartmentalization ( Whew! ). I for one like the input of all woodworkers at one easy to review place. Just my 2 cents. Marc in Mass

Dale Rodabaugh
10-01-2005, 8:17 AM
I didnt even read half of the replies on this subjct,but I say heck yes,start a seperate thread for wood turning.I have just barely touched the surface of woodturning,and I can see it is a very interesting form of WW.All it takes is a click of the old mouse to change from one to the other.Go for it.;) :cool: :o

Richard Wolf
10-01-2005, 8:30 AM
Dale, I'm not jumping on you, but don't people look at dates a tread starts. This tread is over two years old, and we now have a turners forum. How do these threads get resurrected, please pay attention.LOL

Richard

Keith Burns
10-01-2005, 8:46 AM
My vote is to leave it like it is.

Phil Phelps
10-01-2005, 9:01 AM
Dale, I'm not jumping on you, but don't people look at dates a tread starts. This tread is over two years old, and we now have a turners forum. How do these threads get resurrected, please pay attention.LOL

Richard
I couldn't believe I had posted anything until I looked at the date. That was a lifetime away :eek:

Dennis Peacock
10-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Woo-Wee....talk about digging up an old thread!! :eek: :p :D

Keith Foster
10-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Ya know, I kept reading the replies and thinking to myself, "Geeze, I thought there already was a turning forum?" Was fixing to vote too! Too early in the morning for this stuff....:cool:

John Bailey
10-01-2005, 11:33 AM
What am I missing here? It looks to me that we have a "Turner's Forum." I'd also like to point out that this is the easiest forum to use for me. As an educator I know that different folks process info differently than others. So, it doesn't surprise me to find out that, for some, the forum is difficult. But, if it were to change it would become difficult for others. I like it the way it is.

John

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Since it's been a done deal for some time. maybe this thread needs to ber "locked" for view only, or archived.

Bruce

Aaron Koehl
10-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Indeed, the thread is now closed.