PDA

View Full Version : Planing a 12' walnut slab

Richard Hutchings
04-03-2022, 8:21 AM
This is for my SIL's new bar. We're going to do it on site so I thing the router and runners may be a back up plan. I have an electric planer to get the rough stuff done. I'm hoping to get it to a hand plane finish after that. Any tips would be appreciated. This is out of my league.

Jim Koepke
04-03-2022, 9:55 AM
You might find some useful information, methods or tips in one of my planing ordeals > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?272588

jtk

William Fretwell
04-03-2022, 1:27 PM
Not sure what is appealing about on site. Awkward large pieces are far easier in the work shop. The underside will need to be somewhat flat also, a good place to practice.
Make sure it’s well supported on flat supports. A scrub plane will get you started. Straight edges and winding sticks will be very useful. After practising on the underside flip it over and start again.

Challenges will almost certainly be reversing grain and knots over that length. Start with your longest hand plane after the scrub plane. You may be pleasantly surprised at your progress. Try and get the overall top flat but not perfect. Next your short plane #4 will refine the top. Keep it very sharp, observe direction carefully, try 45 degrees to the grain on difficult areas.

The whole router sled thing may take longer by the time it’s levelled, set up and run. You still have to finish plane or do a lot of sanding. Nothing will put a better finish on and polish the grain more than a sharp hand plane. Sanding and 6 coats of varnish may be just fine though.

Richard Hutchings
04-03-2022, 3:03 PM
I hate to say but that little corded beast did a phenomenal job and I was able to leave the rest to him to finish. This thing had a 1/2" dip running the hole length. I wasn't up to that. It took a couple of hours as it was. I'd be dead by now with a hand plane. Sorry all you neanders, it had to be done.oh the shame.