PDA

View Full Version : Project for the month of April..

steven c newman
04-03-2022, 12:53 AM
There is a plant stand in the front window on the house....just a cheapy, made from a pile of square sticks....Fur-balls during "Kitty Hour" have has a bad habit of doing U-turns on it...and always knocking the stand and any plants on it,,,over...then, they try to play in the dirt.....Decided something a bit better would be in order...something the cats can't knock over...

Still have 4 planks of Ash..
Took 2 trips to get them down to the shop...
And average 6' 5" long, by 5-1/2" wide, and 7/8" thick...My 5' 10-1/2" body has enough trouble getting down those steps...let alone carrying more than 2 of these planks...not light, either..

Sorted through the 4 planks, was looking for the best 2, that were at least close in grain and colour...Needed to cut those 2 down into 4 blanks to make a top for a table...there was a problem..way too long for my mitre boxes to cut, and the tablesaw had a crowd on it, which left the bench..
Bench is 5' long, on a good day...didn't feel like messing with a circular saw...corded or not (have both) which left..

A Disston D-100, 26" long, 7 ppi cross cut saw....just a D-8 with a fancy handle....cut a bad end off, then the first 33" long blank..after turning the plank around a bit..
To be able to clamp the board to the vise...not IN the vise..ON the vise...just mark a cut line and saw..
And check if the cut was square....depending on who is doing the sawing..
And, wind up with 4 blanks to make into a top..
Will need to sort through for best grain match/pattern...

It is a start..stay tuned:D

steven c newman
04-03-2022, 10:00 AM
Stacked the blanks for the top together, with a few clamps so they stay that way...
And turn to the next plank in my way..
As I'll need to rip some stock for legs...had to remove the bad ends...
Hand saw still doing it's job..
Even the saw operator....went through both planks...since legs will be glue ups...needed 4 blanks...and only got 3 from the first board...the other board had issues at one end..
Basically...trash. MIGHT be able to salvage enough for an End Apron?

Second saw workout...might have enough parts for the legs and aprons..
So, I can hang that 100 year old saw back up...might have to sweep the floor, though..
Made a bunch of this stuff...just from this one saw....

Blanks are tapered, with wavy edges thrown in...next step?
To get the edges under control, and glue ready....Tablesaw is now clear, I can set and reset that fence...can hand plane the edges later...when I glue the top together...might have to get out the pipe clamps for that, and some cauls...

Legs will be 2 slabs face glued up into a square blank....intend to taper the 2 "inside" faces...Mortise & Tenon work to connect the aprons to the legs....

There MIGHT be enough 1 x 1 strips...to add a bottom shelf....would have to allow for the tapered legs, though..

So far...a pencil, a tape measure, a Carpenter's Square, and a hand saw....for the tools used...unless you also count me in the totals..

Maybe Monday before any more items get done..we'll see...any Shoptime today will be after Supper...

I might just get the hang of sawing by hand..someday?

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
04-03-2022, 9:24 PM
Laundry Detail, tonight...was also time to rip a few edges...trying to straighten them out a bit...less work for the Stanley No. 8c to do..
takes 3 set-ups of the rip fence...5-1/2"..then 5" using the freshly ripped edge against the fence...then at 4-3/4" wide...along the first ripped edge..
Set the 4 blanks for the table's top aside, for now...and rip leg blanks..at 1-3/4" wide by 20" long..
had 4 boards, about the right length...3 passes gave me 2 blanks for each leg, and a narrower one to be used later ( best 2 for Bread Board ends?) and even got one glued up..
laid out the 4 blanks for a top...trying to see how the grain MIGHT line up...
One end is a tad "busy", though...

Will think on it, a bit...can always re-shuffle a bit...

haven't figured out the width of the aprons..yet...until then...I can put the tablesaw away...until it is time to glue the panel for the top up....

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
04-04-2022, 10:24 AM
Late night, last night..Laundry Detail....Dryer is done. All 4 legs are IN the clamps...waiting on glue to cure...

Stanley No.8c has been taken out of the til, and given a quick freshening up....Chipbreaker issues. All set, for when I start on jointing the edges of the boards for the table's top....

May need a bit of help..when it comes to gluing the panel up...

Normally, the shop is closed on Mondays...we'll see how it goes....

steven c newman
04-04-2022, 10:43 PM
Was JUST going to get a couple photos, wasn't planning to do any work ( paying the price, now..)
4 leg blanks, sitting in a forest of clamps...

Hauled the 4' level to the shop...to test it out..
Showed the board was high on both ends...we have ways...
Old Heff & Hubris, himself....had a choice between it or..
Old No. 81.....
The No. 8c seemed to work just fine...stack check..
Second one is just sitting there...top board has a slight bow to it....there IS a slight (spring joint?) gap in the middle...trying to close it up a bit....

Hmmm..don't sneeze..
Only thing holding these 4 in place...gravity...no glue, no clamps, no braces round in back.....this MIGHT take a while...

This pile was just from doing 2 edges...

Decided THAT was enough, for a Monday...
Stay tuned...the cussing is about to begin....

steven c newman
04-06-2022, 5:08 AM
Bought new lights for the shop...now I and the camera can see a bit better..

3 edges have been jointed...will work on the rest, later.

"FUN" part will begin when I go to glue the panel up....clamps and cauls...should be entertaining to watch.....just 2 hands...might not be enough?

Thoughts on a bread board end........square profile? Just a radius on the corners? Maybe a gentle curve the full width?

Having trouble getting to sleep...may try the shop in a little bit...Not using any power tools, anyway....might be ok...

steven c newman
04-06-2022, 10:26 AM
Board #4...
Both edges jointed...Board #5 only needed one edge jointed..
And when I get one shaving like this from along the entire 33" length...we done with the plane..however..
Glue, glue roller, cauls, and clamps..
Let this sit a day...then decide which will be the show side....then square the ends...and get them ready for the Bread Boards...

No longer a dark, dimly lit Dungeon...

It is now a well lit Dungeon Shop...

Stay tuned

steven c newman
04-06-2022, 5:44 PM
Start and stops all day long....and a couple naps....

Blanks for the legs are out of the clamps...cleaned up, square all around...including length...
Second 2...the first 2?
Already tapered on 2 sides. Figured out which end was a "Top"...measured down 5"...marked. At the other end "Foot", measured in from the show corner 1"
Connect those 2 points with a good straight edge...then over to the bandsaw...
Cut the line. Beltsand most of the saw marks off....will hand plane smooth when the bench is cleared off...

Mark the tops with 2 "T"s....to show where the tapers are....and where the mortises will be....helps to keep track of where the next tapers will be..
A slat to help keep things lined up....4 legs tapered (roughly) on 2 sides....have plans for the outside "show" corner...tapers go to the inside.

Going by what is left of the lumber supply...aprons will be 2-3/4" wide....will set up the saw later for those.

new light fixture is a Braun from Harbor Freight...2 LED bulbs, 4' long...hangs from a pair of chains...plugs into the 120v outlet. BRIGHT at 5500 lums...has a pull chain to turn it on/off..

Stay tuned....might be chopping mortises by the weekend?

steven c newman
04-07-2022, 9:33 AM
Will try to move the table top....and it's clamps OFF of my bench today....have need of my bench..

Tapers need to be planed smooth....outside corner on each leg gets a bead milled....need to rip and cross cut aprons....and set about milling tenons on the ends...might even set up to chop a few mortises...

Some of the clamps on the table top can come off...will leave the cauls on out on the ends....for now...

Need to reset the Stanley 45 into a beading plane...and decide what size bead cutter to use, so I can get it sharpened up....

All depends on how long this right leg allows me to work.....lately it has been an hour or two....rest about 4 hours..then try again

Film at 2300hrs...I hope....

Stay tuned ( am I boring to you all?)

steven c newman
04-07-2022, 2:02 PM
Ok...first, needed the tablesaw...need to rip 4 apron blanks for width..
Clamped together, to get them to straighten out a bit....

Then remove most of the clamps from the table top..
Keeping just the cauls on the ends, for now....set aside...
Since I am done with the tablesaw , for a while...

Cleaning up the tapers on 4 legs..took a bit of teamwork..
With the Jack working mainly on the tapers..
leveling out saw marks and sander marks...flat work?
Was more the realm of a Stanley No.3, Type 11...legs done.:D

Was trying to set up the Stanley No.45 with a #23 beading cutter..
One too many quirks.:mad:..on the test piece....reset things..
By hiding the outside quirk with the lowered fence...might just work...

Resting up the right leg....and cooling me down...had worked up a sweat :eek:

Maybe later today, I can try again? Stay tuned..:D

Stew Denton
04-07-2022, 2:58 PM
Hi Steven,

Looks like the woodworking is going well, but resting the legs is important too. (DAMHIKT....I think you and I are about the same vintage.) Thanks for the information on the new light, I was wondering about that, and it looks like the light is doing a good job. Lord willing, the time that I will finally have a shop is getting closer, very slowly though, and it will need lights.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

steven c newman
04-07-2022, 9:18 PM
They are able to be strung in a line of up to 8 units.

Fixed the problem with the 45...
The first leg didn't look too good...the other 3 are more like what I wanted..
Then had to reset the plane back for a "normal" bead...that goes along the bottom edges of the aprons..got both short aprons beaded..

Will wait until tomorrow for the long aprons,,,
While I reset a jig...
The 2 circled screws are in their new locations...had the leg clamped up..
Jig will get secured to the bench right over the bench's leg. Insert a part, and a clamp is used to close up the jig, so I can then chop out a mortise...
And a mallet to hit with...maybe this weekend? Have tenons to cut, too...

steven c newman
04-08-2022, 9:36 PM
Long aprons needed beads...
Then the edges got jointed...
Almost done. Set these 2 aside...work on a tenon, or 2 on a short apron...

First..aprons were a bit long, and one end was way out of whack...what better way to fix both problems...
Figured out how long the tenons should be...and the thickness of the tenons...and make the shoulder cuts..
Saw to the layout lines....wide chisel to pop most of the waste off....then pare to the lines...clip the ends a bit..
Will clean this up...next time in the shop....goal will be all the tenons get done, THEN chop out the matching mortises..

At least 1/2 of the mortises will be right on a glue line in the legs....should be "fun"

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
04-09-2022, 3:52 PM
2 hours in the shop, today...tenons are all milled..
Tools laid out to chop a mortise or 4....
Jig holds a leg, while I do the chopping..
And the test fitting the mortise to the tenons...
Managed to get 2 of the 4 legs mortised ...
Will work on the other 2 legs next time...that stick? It will be dovetailed into the middle of the long aprons...1/2 blind, single "tail" into a socket.

Seemed I kept sharpening that Narex after each mortise was done...oh well...only 4 more mortises to do..

Not too bad, for just 2 hours in the shop, today?

steven c newman
04-11-2022, 3:19 PM
Work from over the weekend..

Last 2 legs have been mortised up. Ends of the table have been glued up..
2 clamps each..
A stretcher between the front and back long aprons...
Then the sockets..
Note, these are at the top of the aprons...and then glued up...
C clamps to help out..
Letting all these "sub-assemblies sit a day or two...

Trip to Lowes for a 1 x 2 pine....mitre the ends to make corner glue blocks...
need 4 of these..

steven c newman
04-11-2022, 9:09 PM
Monday......uuummm....shop is closed for today..

Besides the "normal" being closed on Mondays...this is also the day AFTER a bad Migraine Headache....the kind where almost everything goes numb, eyes no longer work right...THEN the headache hits..HARD..

The day afters are almost the same as a "morning after" of a Pub Crawl

I did have to haul the Boss around, today.....as she doesn't drive. Stopped in at Menard's, for a change......picked up 2 counter-sinking Pilot bits by Bosch...and a 4pc set of pads for the bottoms of this table's feet

They had the bits that were "All-in-one" like the ones Norm Abram used...$$....got the 2 Bosch bits for the price of a single "Norm" bit...

Head still hurts...hands are still about half numb...sense of balance is still off.....was either a Migraine, or. a TIA (have had both, just been over a year) Unsure what the "trigger" was.

Will see how things go on Tuesday....stay tuned..

Richard Hutchings
04-12-2022, 10:33 AM
I don't know what you are talking about, "They had the bits that were "All-in-one" like the ones Norm Abram used". I just googled it and could not find other than the machinist counter sinks, is that what you mean?

steven c newman
04-12-2022, 11:09 AM
The bit: Has a sleeve, that holds a 2 in 1 bit....flip the bit one way, it is a pilot hole drill/countersink bit...that you buy according to the size screws you wish to use..in my case it would have been a #6....turn the bit end for end...and it houses a driver tip. They run about $10 per size screw....

Norm would drill and countersink for a screw...and without grabbing a second drill/driver, just flip the bits around, and drive the screw.

They are MEANT for woodworking. Menard's sells the full line of them. Next time I am in Menard's, I'll go past and write down the brand name...

Richard Hutchings
04-12-2022, 12:11 PM
That sounds handy.

steven c newman
04-12-2022, 2:53 PM
What I wound up with...
For the price of one of the "Handy" bits..
I bought 2 of these.

Corner blocks are now in place...
Glue and screws.

Worked on the top for a bit....found a high spot..
Ends needed trimmed a bit, too...
Wanted nice square ends, for the next task..
Cutting a tongue on each end...
To install the bread board ends....

Letting both assemblies sit a while....have more work to do on the top..

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
04-13-2022, 9:25 AM
late night Laundry Detail...while waiting on the Clothes Dryer..
hmmm...
Hmmm...

Will have to go back to the shop,later...and see what happened

steven c newman
04-13-2022, 11:16 PM
Half of today's work was in putting tools away...bench was getting a bit crowded...
This needed to go back upstairs, and the battery placed on the charger...
This one needed set back up on the shelf, and a different one set up.

First off, needed a high tech circle jig..
Then take a saw down from a shelf, clean a year's worth of cob webs off of it,,,set up the blade,,
Hey, IF a tool is older than I am, it has got to be a Vintage tool, right?
Was very quiet running, blade could have been sharper...Once the cuts were done..

A beltsander smoothed them out. The "other" Router?
Still had a champfer bit on-board...was working on the underside of the top, so
A little too slow around that one curve...will sand that out...

Stay tuned..more to come..busy day, today..

steven c newman
04-13-2022, 11:28 PM
Flip the tabletop over, change router bits...
And run a small cove all the way around....then flip the top over, as the base is almost ready to arrive...

These brackets...not only pull things into square, they are also how I attach a base to a top...I drill a slotted hole, that runs front to back...
Drill straight down, then rock the drill back and forth to make the slot. Stretcher gets a single screw hole, no slot..
Need 5 screws. Had to counter sink the one in the stretcher...slots allow the top to expand and contract...screws will slide a bit as needed.

1st coat of Amber Shellac...more of a seal coat..
And foot pads installed...

Will flip the table over tomorrow, and work on the top...once that is dry, I can repeat for the underside, again...then see how it looks...

Stay tuned, almost done....I think I just might have earned that ICE COLD Lager, today...:D

steven c newman
04-14-2022, 1:36 PM
Table has been flipped over, and a coat of shellac brushed onto the top....letting that sit a spell...Boss has errands she wants run...

Stay tuned..

Richard Hutchings
04-14-2022, 3:15 PM
Man that brings the wood to life!

steven c newman
04-15-2022, 11:35 AM
A view of the top of this simple table..
Trying to decide on a top coat...
May do a test on the underside, first....

steven c newman
04-15-2022, 3:23 PM
Flipped this back over...decided to try a coat of Clear gloss poly.....once I found a can that wasn't dried out.....2 quart cans, both were solid....might have been a bit too long since the last time I used them...

Had a pint, still in good shape....just bought new brushes....so...
Brushed on a coat....

Will let this sit overnight..and see how it looks in the morning...before I commit to doing the top...

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
04-16-2022, 8:05 PM
Top is done..
Side view...
Another side view, trying to show off the grain matches...
End view shows it off a little better.

Has been moved upstairs...will try later for "Project" worthy photo shoot...

Stay tuned...may have to go out next week to re-supply the lumber bin...it's empty, now...

steven c newman
04-17-2022, 6:48 PM
Has been moved upstairs..
Just a simple, little table...nothing real fancy..
Just made from 4 planks of Ash. and a bit of Pine...

Thanks for looking in!

Thomas Wilson
04-17-2022, 6:54 PM
Nice work. Placement of flip-flop is bien fait.