PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing my new bandsaw, I was confused but think I decided on what to get!

Miksa de Sorgo
04-01-2022, 9:51 PM
I’ve spent so much time researching and confusing myself even more deciding on which bandsaw to purchase. It’s my first one, and one of my last purchases I wanted to make. I was stuck on Rikon 10-347, Laguna 18bx, and the Jet JWBS-18-3. I read so many posts here, watched just about every video and asked so many people to figure this out. This site has honesty helped me the most and it really broadened my view on a used saw as well (thought new was the easiest way because it’s easier to transport). Well I almost have up on my months on end search and after peoples recommendations I read on these forums something came up. SCM bandsaw, I never would’ve considered this saw but I wanted to buy one saw and have it forever. It’s absolutely overkill for what I want and need but I’ll never have the upgrade itch in the future! Honestly probably just a nice used 14” for small blades and that’s it. Spoke with them today, he sent me a bunch of pictures and it looks so good. My budget was around $3200-$3500 but I can stretch for this. I think it’s a great deal, especially considering the cost of new. Pictures will hopefully be available soon upon request, in my hands and no one else’s. Had to cash in a little ethereum to get the final payment, not much but I believe it is worth it. This thing is a beast! My first time posting but really wanted to appreciate all the great information I found in this board and the recommendations to email Sam Blasco. I emailed him and he gave me some great advice as I didn’t know how much one of these are worth used today. It’s super heavy but one thing I considered if I took out the wheels, the table; anything of weight that wouldn’t harm functionality; it would be easier for me to move and bring home. Anyone have advice, box truck with lift gate or something? Have access to a pallet Jack. Thanks!

Edit: reduced details like suggested lol, been stressing because the gentleman mentioned another person wanting to take a look so I may skip work today and just hand over the cash and pick up the removeable bits and come back for the frame. I’m finding some options how I can pick it up, worst case, forget the “name” but a wooden structure chains and pulleys attached and should work a charm. Looking at the table, wheels; and motor alone I bet are an easy 200-300 lbs.

Kevin Jenness
04-01-2022, 10:11 PM
I moved my (smaller) Centauro on a flatbed trailer on its back. 3 or 4 shop guys laid it down from a dolly onto the trailer. On the other end I used a chain hoist attached to a sling under the saw's throat to stand it back up. Removing the wheels and table would help a bit.

Rick Potter
04-02-2022, 2:22 AM
May I suggest you NOT post any more details or photo's until it is in your hands. I lost a very nice used car by asking too many questions on line, and while I decided, someone else saw my postings and grabbed it.

Albert Lee
04-02-2022, 3:58 AM
get the SCM bandsaw.

Let me share my history with my bandsaw purchases...
1st bandsaw. bought a new SCM S400P, made by Centauro. I didnt appreciate it and I sold it, and cheap, within a week I needed it.
bought a second hand bandsaw Sicar Top6, a 24inch bandsaw, its a great saw. cast iron everything, had it for 6 years, but being second hand there are minor issues, thought I can upgrade to something better.

I've always heard good story about Wadkin in our part of the world, so, I bought a Wadkin B700 (28 inch bandsaw) when one became available on the used market - I now have two bandsaws in my shop. Really liked the B700, so I listed the Sicar Top6. within 6 hours its gone.

After I sold the Sicar I realised I have problem with the B700 as it turn out to be too big for my shop. but the Sicar is gone. so I listed the B700, Again, gone within 24 hours.
I am left with no bandsaw. trying to buy one but nothing is available on the market (2nd hand)

I have now acquired a used bandsaw, a Taiwanese made 24 inch bandsaw, rebadged Grizzly in Northern America. the quality is nowhere near the Sicar or SCM S400P I had, it was a rushed purchase because there are no used bandsaws (18" or bigger) for sale here in New Zealand.

It looks like I will be purchasing a SCM S540P. think they are made by ACM now a days but should be good.

Miksa de Sorgo
04-02-2022, 2:26 PM
Appreciate the advice and ouch, that doesn’t sound fun at all. I really like the new formula series as well but price wise for what I was looking for, beyond my budget lol. I honestly had no intention about getting a SCM, I thought it was a pipe dream. Was either getting a Rikon, Laguna or Jet 18”, I almost pulled the plug early but I felt like I just needed to wait, figure out exactly what I wanted didn’t need it for a couple of months. It was so strange I searched plenty of times got used bandsaws and this one never popped up and all of a sudden there it was. I was looking at the prices of the Rikon and Jet, after taxes and shipping, that was it, needed that bandsaw lol. Anyways I’ll be picking it up Monday/Tuesday! Super excited, just can’t wait to get it home and take some pictures. Crazy thing I forgot to measure the height but I’m fairly certain it’s 9-10’ tall ceiling in my garage. And I know for a fact where it’s going there’s no cross beams etc. Worst case just cut a hole in the drywall, have some leftover from a repair so I can make a recess for it. Can’t wait, super excited.

Matt Day
04-02-2022, 8:11 PM
Holes in the ceiling sounds fun, lol. Make sure to post pictures.

Kevin Jenness
04-02-2022, 8:34 PM
I would check the height clearance before committing to the purchase. You need to be able to swing the upper door open to change the blade.

Greg Quenneville
04-02-2022, 8:35 PM
A recess in the ceiling might making opening the top door interesting, unless its a big recess. What size saw is it? My Italian 24” saw stands 84” tall

Miksa de Sorgo
04-04-2022, 9:39 PM
Haha thanks for the concern y’all, sounds bad but I had a way of making it look nice if I had to but I figured garages are pretty standard in height, plus my whole house has 9’ ceilings. I did measure however and it juuuuust fits! I have an easy( well easier way of getting it off the trailer vs putting it on. Yeah totally underestimated how stout this saw was. The metal is so thick, it’s built like a tank! B it have a few inches of clearance so no decorative ceiling cutout. Saw had me speechless, it’s so amazing. Couldn’t be happier with my purchase! I wasn’t exactly sure what the going rate for an S600P was, emailed Sam Blasco and he said the listed price of $4800 was really fair, but after talking with him he offered $4000 I was sold. I know prices went up a bunch, and the saws I were looking at for an 18” new would’ve been about the same with tax and shipping. Whether it is or not I personally feel like I got a steal and that’s all that matters to me ha. He had every single bits and pieces original to the saw, really nice blade, an extra electrical plug and two gallons of paint matched for the saw (really good quality paint holy crap). It’s in such good shape, it looks like it was a few months old to me. I don’t think I could’ve done better won’t even think about it because I’m beyond happy with it. Pictures soon! Gotta park it in the garage tonight and then rig up a whole bunch of stuff to pull it off the trailer!

Matthew Hills
04-05-2022, 1:06 AM
Sounds great. Did he show it running?

Blades are generally consumable. A carbide blade can last if you're not doing curves, but anything else will go much faster than whatever you're used to with a carbide table saw blade.

Any idea why the previous owner had the paint?

Matt

Miksa de Sorgo
04-05-2022, 3:47 AM
Yup, runs beautifully and it’s setup so well. I’m sure I’ll have to adjust some things after the trip home but it runs flawlessly. I have to take a look at the blade not sure if it was a resaw king or not. He had some other Laguna blades as well, meant to check but moving that thing was exhausting. As for the paint yup, there was just a couple really small scuff marks, one was in the base, two on the back of the spine nothing big, nothing repainted yet he never got around to it yet. Other than that it’s mint. Just gotta clean a little dust off it but he was really good about keeping sawdust clean. I’ll get up pics hopefully today once I get it out of the trailer lol. There were two gallons of paint because they didn’t have that type of paint any smaller, and one of the color matches was slightly off. I’ll have to check what type, I looked at it briefly but one I remember seeing one as an enamel, marine grade something from Sherwin Williams, absolutely not your box store or household latex lol. I’ve used a marine grade enamel before, I use Durabak which is different but it’s tough, tough stuff. It’s very good paint, I need to research it to make sure if I pop it open it won’t start to cure or dry out, sometimes you have to spray argon gas. I do it with the Durabak, believe it or not I use that for custom shoes lol. It’s the ONLY “paint” that works on rubber soles, that doesn’t crack or fall off a brisk walk. Well the only product that worked that I’ve tried, and I tried a LOT.

im just reading more about blades now to see exactly what I’m going to order. I’m curious if the blade was a Lennox, but definitely getting a resaw king, and I want to try different brands out on blades people recommend. In comparison to the tool, they’re so much cheaper! I’m going to use it as often as I can but I seriously work 14-16 hour days, 50min drive each way so it depends on what I need to do on my days off, if I don’t go in for a 6th day. I have to run the 230 wire, I knew when I did my car charger I should’ve run additional. I have 6 crypto mining rigs setup on 220 with server PSU’s but I’ll never unplug those. Have enough amps for 60 I believe, gotta double check. Double checking the code, going to run in conduit, will take them out when I sell the house in the future. Going to get the supplies tomorrow and get that all set, I still have a bunch of 10/3 leftover which is nice, could run 2-3 20amp breakers. I don’t plan on having any other tools that need bigger. I was supposed to get my US General double bank today but they were trying to send it in an 18-wheeler, I lost it a bit over the phone, maybe a lot. At the point where I’ll just make my own once I get the power hooked up.

Matthew Hills
04-05-2022, 10:19 AM
This last response only raises more questions -- why are you painting your shoe soles?!

On the bandsaw, I hope the previous owner had properly buffed out all wax...
I'm looking forward to the photos.

The lennox woodmaster is often recommended for resaw and straight rips. The carbide blade shouldn't be used for curved work.
I tend to keep a 1/2" bimetal in my mm16 as a general-purpose blade.

Matt

Miksa de Sorgo
04-05-2022, 2:28 PM
Lol shoe restoration and customizing is a side gig, focus on Jordan’s… easy, easy money with a little talent for detail and art. I buy used, beat to heck for $30 or less, restore, only expensive part art soles but built into the cost. The right pair I may spend $100 max, but can resell 300-2000 even. It’s insanity but it’s enjoyable work seriously! Lol. As for the wax I’m not sure, I can ask him, but I popped open the can, no indication of someone using the paint, dried crusties. Would be over the top to clean the paint can before you sell. He’s a very good guy and I’ll put my faith in him. But regardless, I’m still beyond happy with it so it doesn’t matter haha!

Well it took me two hours… but just a little sneak peak.477117

i did add a couple scuffs I’m not gonna lie lol. I’m 155lb wet 6’3” almost 50 year old. But still moved it solo lol. Now I’m getting a hoist to stand it up. I don’t have a lever long enough for that. It has different wheels I noticed I’ll get the brand name but honestly they are all cast iron heavy suckers. The table is rediculous, that’s gotta be 100-200lbs. Anyways I gotta drop my truck off. I need to clean it, it was covered in moving blankets; then the roads were wet so I had to grab a tarp, it was a crappy day to pick up a saw. Should’ve checked the weather but I was too excited. Oh yeah and the saw blade definitely looks carbide tipped, but I do not see any markings on it, I didn’t open it back up though not yet.

Rick Potter
04-06-2022, 2:49 AM
Those are expensive wheels. Your score just gets better, and better.

Greg Quenneville
04-06-2022, 3:43 AM
+1. Those are Zambus or Footmaster casters. They aren’t great for frequent moves in the shop, but they are pretty good for infrequent ones, and the rubber feet work very well.

For what its worth: I bought an 800 lb machine for a friend and delivered it a couple weeks ago. I had mounted those casters to it to dance it around my shop and decided to just leave them on. I drove that machine about 1100 miles, lots of it on some pretty chopped up highways, and the machine still wheeled around great after we unloaded it. Which is frankly better than I expected.

Those roads were some of the worst I have ever seen, and I have driven on some real goat tracks all over the globe.