PDA

View Full Version : My Workbench 5 Months Later: What I Learned!

Luke Dupont
03-31-2022, 10:01 PM
Not much to discuss here, but I just wanted to say...

5 or 6 months ago when I was starting on my workbench build, I got a ton of great advice here -- some of which I actually took and am happy I did, some of which I didn't and am not so happy I didn't! :D

The Good:

Among that advice was that tusked tenons (often employed in old knock down benches for the stretchers, where we most often see bolts used today) are extremely sturdy and rack resistant. I was a bit concerned with the Sloyd / Scandinavian style leg assembly, because I've seen cheap benches using bolts in this style that were racky as can be.

Well, I am happy to report that I did go with traditional tusked tenons for the stretchers, and am super impressed. My little bench is not what most people would consider sturdy, and the leg assembly is rather spindly, but man is it firmly held together! Those little wedges in the stretcher do an amazing job. My bench has *zero* rack with the wedges driven firmly in place. And they're only 1/4" thick, granted made of hardwood.

If anyone is consider whether to used bolts or tusked tenons, believe me, the tusked tenons are *well* worth the effort!

Also good:

I like that the Scandinavian leg assembly is recessed in a little bit, allowing me to get closer to the bench and right up to my work without banging my knees and shins on the leg assembly and stretchers. Also, this is great for a light portable bench as mine, because you can "step" on the feet in the rare instance it's necessary (though, with all of the tools and toolbox I've added, it's gained a respectable amount of weight and doesn't move on me much while still being easy to move when I need it to).

Also, it's my first time having a tail vise and a row of dogs, and this too is a game changer for me. I have spent plenty of time working without dogs, with a stop and batten, or on Japanese atedai (planing boards), but the dogs allow you to hold work very firmly when necessary, and most importantly, make a short bench so much more capable of handling longer work! This is a big deal if you don't have a lot of space for a long bench. A tail vise is a must for any apartment workbench.

Advice I Should Have Taken:

I made my bench too short, at only 3 feet, which I was warned about. Even with the addition of a tail vise, and even though I don't make large things, it's just a bit too small at times. It also means that, well, I have less room on my bench for tools and things. My predicament was that 4 feet is just a tad too long for the space that I have to work in, if I consider that I also need to move around my bench and also keep the shavings and such out of my "office space" which my workshop is shared with. However, measuring again, I think I can manage up to 3.66 feet or so. So, as I am rebuilding the top, I am going with 3.66 feet.

The other thing is that many, many people suggested the Moravian bench, which I think I should have considered and studied more. Like I said, I do like the Scandinavian/Sloyd style bench and leg assembly, but the Moravian has a few features that I could incorporate and some which I find myself wanting a bit:

1. The Moravian has the top and tool well as seperate pieces. I really like this idea because it is way easier to carry a heavy bench top that is only 12" wide as opposed to a much bulkier one that has a 6-12" toolwell attached, making it twice as wide (though not much heavier). My current benchtop is quite heavy and difficult to move not so much because of its weight, but because of its bulk combined with the weight. So as I am rebuilding the top, I'm actually going to borrow this design and have a single 1 foot x 3.7 foot slab for the top, and a separate tool well.

2. The Moravian's flush legs allow one to mount a leg vise, which I find myself kind of wanting in preference to a face vise...
Maybe I'll consider making my bench into a Moravian without the angled legs (I really don't think they're necessary, as my current bench isn't tippy or racky lengthways in the least). So, still using tusked tenons, but 90 degree legs and a leg vise mounted directly into the left front leg and not as a separate piece. Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not? It would simplify construction and make it easier to install tool storage underneath, too.

3. The high backboard as found on the Sloyd benches, while I'm glad I tried it out, does get in the way of using bow saws, which I've started using in favor of Japanese and Western Panel / Back saws. So that will have to go. But if I weren't using frame saws, I think I might stick with it. It is kind of nice.

And a few mistakes that were entirely my own:

1. Using really cheap vise hardware.
Not much to say here, other than I don't recommend it.

2. Misunderstanding the design of Sloyd benches and gluing a piece crossgrain to the underside, causing my benchtop to warp. Keep wood movement in mind at all times, guys! I knew better and I did it anyway thinking I'd get away with it... Nope!

That's about all. Just thought it might be useful to do an after action report and maybe help other people in designing their own benches. And, also, I just wanted to thank you all for all of the great advice! I always benefit from it, when I actually take it :p

Scott Clausen
04-01-2022, 6:31 AM
My 6' Moravian top minus the tool well is the top maximum I can carry, and not very well at that. I plan on taking it to a site to custom fit a window I am making as a test to see how "portable" it is.

Richard Coers
04-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself with the cross grain construction error. I think half the woodworkers I read from don't think the laws of nature apply in their shop. Even Norm did that in his early shows until he saw the error in his ways.

Phil Cyr
04-01-2022, 12:18 PM
Could you share a photo? I'd like to see the bench. Thanks for sharing your lessons learned. I'm starting to think about my next small bench and what I want in it.

Luke Dupont
04-01-2022, 8:52 PM
Right, I should have included a picture and a link to the build thread so people know what I'm talking about!

Here's the build thread:
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?295761-Sloyd-Bench-Build-An-Excellent-Apartment-Workbench&p=3168117&highlight=

It's a great overall little bench. One thing to note is that I should have attached the cross grain riser (to raise the top above the vise hardware) to the leg assembly and not to the underneath of the bench. And this would have been better to do with screws or something so it's removable in case I change out the vise.

Richard Hutchings
04-02-2022, 7:50 AM
That is so cool looking. May I ask why you can't fit a bench twice that size into that space and just add wheel for when you need to stand at the end?

Maurice Mcmurry
04-02-2022, 8:24 AM
A good-looking bench and nice tools!

Luke Dupont
04-02-2022, 9:09 AM
That is so cool looking. May I ask why you can't fit a bench twice that size into that space and just add wheel for when you need to stand at the end?

Directly behind the bench s a door, and to the left is where I keep a lot of my wood and any large pieces. There are also other places I want to potentially put the bench that, if I made it much any more than 4 feet, would get too cramped to work comfortably.
I'm trying to future proof it as well, and thinking about the space that I generally have available in the small apartment rooms I've lived in for the last 10 years...

But, what do you mean by add a wheel for when I need to stand at the end? You mean to put wheels on the legs to make it easy to move / rotate? Or something else?

Richard Hutchings
04-02-2022, 9:36 AM
Yes, I meant wheels, as in 4. I figured you could rotate it when you're using it and then fit it back when you're done.

James Pallas
04-02-2022, 7:56 PM
Luke, That’s a great looking small bench. I’m sure it works fine for most tasks. What I’ve found is the only time you really need a long bench is usually planing tasks. That’s all relative. When. You make a 4’ one the next job you tackle will be a 6’ top.
Jim

Jim Koepke
04-03-2022, 1:16 AM
Is it possible to make an extended top to fit on the current bench that can be removed when not needed?

Maybe it could be clamped in the tail vise with a dog in one or two holes.

Just a thought…

jtk

Luke Dupont
04-03-2022, 1:27 AM
Is it possible to make an extended top to fit on the current bench that can be removed when not needed?

Maybe it could be clamped in the tail vise with a dog in one or two holes.

Just a thought…

jtk

This is a good idea! I'm thinking a 2x4 in the face vise, with a few more shorter 2x4's laminated on the end to form a short and narrow extension of the bench top. In ascii art, maybe something like this, where ====== is the edge of a 2x4

====
====
================ < clamp this end into face vise

Alternatively maybe just a 2x4 or two slapped on top of the bench and hooked onto it somehow.

In any case, I did order some beech to rebuild the top anyway, which will be 3.7 feet now and just slightly thicker. That will also make the top less cramped (hard to get the vises, dog holes, and stops that I want all jammed in there) and isn't excessiely long. But any longer than that, and I can easily just clamp that extension in, I'm thinking.

Jim Koepke
04-03-2022, 10:00 AM
At one time I made a table the same height as my bench to set up against the back of my bench to make it wider.

You could also make a small bench to butt up against either end of your current bench to extend it. With an apron on the ends of these they could even be clamped together.

jtk

Luke Dupont
04-05-2022, 4:20 AM
At one time I made a table the same height as my bench to set up against the back of my bench to make it wider.

You could also make a small bench to butt up against either end of your current bench to extend it. With an apron on the ends of these they could even be clamped together.

jtk

This is a great idea too. A table on wheels could be very handy to act as a "dead man". It could even have a series of holes down the legs to support wide boards if I need it to, and could double as a place to store tools and be wheeled around out of the way when I don't need it...