PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Finish Treatment

Lamar Keeney
03-31-2022, 1:26 PM
I have an old neutrodyne radio made by Fada early 1920's that had been setting in an attic for a long time and the finish has a serious case of cracking. Wondering what would be best to apply just to maintain what is there as I don't want to attempt refinishing it.

Lamar

Maurice Mcmurry
04-01-2022, 8:55 AM
Maybe Howard Restore-A-Finnish or Howard Feed-N-Wax. There are some accomplished restorers that contribute here. Hopefully more advice will be forthcoming.

Prashun Patel
04-01-2022, 9:25 AM
Post some pix. You really have to figure out what the original finish was before you can think about how to restore it.

There is no way to fix the cracking without refinishing. That said, it could be possible to minimize the appearance using abrasives and a wax or polish. We have to see pix to help diagnose.

Lamar Keeney
04-02-2022, 10:59 AM
Well, it's definitely a lacquer finish. Sorry, can't do a photo. The cracks are very fine ones (1-/16 to 1//8in all over) and realize that it will take refinishing to fix, just trying to preserve what is there and help the looks of it.

Thanks for the replys

Prashun Patel
04-02-2022, 2:06 PM
Too bad you can't do a photo.

I am reluctant to recommend anything without seeing it.

There are cases where you can mildly abrade a lacquer (or shellac) finish and then spray a couple more coats on top. Lacquer is available in spray can form, so you don't necessarily require an HVLP or compressor to spray all lacquers. The additional coat can sometimes hide or fuse very minor imperfections like scratches or cracks. Sometimes a prep coat of lacquer thinner can melt the cracks, and then a final coat of lacquer can do that. But if the finish is cracked severely or it has years of built up waxes or oils or dirt, it needs first to be cleaned and smoothed.

That's the best I can say without a pic.

Maurice Mcmurry
04-02-2022, 7:38 PM
Howard Feed-N-Wax would help the looks but might add complications for future work. It is orange oil and bees wax. It is a nice product and smells good.

I Googled "neutrodyne radio made by Fada early 1920's" , then clicked on "images". These are some of the results. (it was a fun search!)
1920's FADA Knock-Down Neutrodyne Kit Radio Receiver - Red Swirl Bakelite Face | #342384070 (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1920s-fada-knock-down-neutrodyne-kit-22384070)

476946 476947