PDA

View Full Version : Finish for figured birch food utensils?

Scott M Perry
03-30-2022, 11:22 AM
Hi all -

I'm making a couple spatulas from some nicely figured birch. Typically I just oil such things (walnut or mineral), but the figure is nice enough on these I'm wondering if there's a way to bring that figure out more? These are utilitarian, and made to be used, so aesthetics are secondary, so if it ends up the easiest/best finish is oil, that's fine. But if there's something simple and appropriate that will highlight the figure, well, that'd be cool.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Scott

Maurice Mcmurry
03-30-2022, 11:29 AM
Watco Butcher Block Oil. I like it on Birch And Maple. I will double check on the food safeness.

I see it is available with stain now too. Some color might help the figure Pop. I have used natural and it definitely brings out character.

Scott M Perry
03-30-2022, 11:31 AM
Watco Butcher Block Oil. I like it on Birch And Maple. I will double check on the food safeness.

Thanks Maurice! I'll look up an SDS.

[EDIT]
Here's some info on the Watco. I didn't know it was anything more than mineral oil... https://www.whatsinproducts.com/types/type_detail/1/10435/standard/span%20style=%22color:

Maurice Mcmurry
03-30-2022, 11:41 AM
It hardens and can be built up and polished. Water contact does eventually dull it but it is easy to re-do.