PDA

View Full Version : what chuck/jaws will work - 2-3/4" diameter

Jim Dory
03-29-2022, 6:53 PM
I have an old small 7122 atlas lathe that was used pretty hard from a high school shop class. It has a 1"x8 threads. Got it cheap without a chuck.

I don't know much at all about turning, but wanted to use it for a few projects I'm working on for a boat I'm building. I bought a supernova 2 chuck, but what I want to do is beyond its size for the jaws it came with. I want to turn down a UHMW plastic dowel that is 2-3/4" diameter to something less than 2.5" diam. So I would like to find jaws or a chuck combo that would grab the dowel more or less centering it and then I could turn it down. (dowel is about 12" long, but I will only need 3" of it turned down).

What I don't know about is some jaws that open that wide have dovetail like shapes - not sure that will work well as in addition to turning the diameter down a bit, I need to dish out one end to accept a trailer hitch ball after turning the diameter down and chopping it into a 3" piece. So the chuck would need to grab the piece good.

As for the cutting tool, I assume a good sharp one with a careful, slow approach should work for this plastic. Something like a gouge for dish it out? (I am a total novice here.. just watched a few youtubes.)

Thanks, Jd

Don Stephan
03-29-2022, 7:57 PM
Youtube videos can be very helpful, very dangerous, and everything in between. I would suggest joining a local woodturning group. Likely you will be able to find members willing to show, not just explain, the different jaw sizes available for your chuck, help getting started with different tools, help experiment to see how best to shape that material, et cetera.

Sam Force
03-29-2022, 10:08 PM
Turn your piece of UHMW dowel between centers to make a tenon on 1 end that will fit in your supernova chuck. Be sure to cut shoulders on your tenon so as not to bottom out on the jaws of your chuck. I also agree to look for a club in your area, they are a huge source of information and usually plenty of turners willing to help

Jim Dory
03-29-2022, 10:10 PM
Thanks Don!

I didn't think to mention that I'm on the edge of tomorrow - beyond here there be dragons. NW Alaska (Nome, to be exact and close to the date line) with no turning clubs nor access to any. I have a couple friends that do some bowl type stuff and whatnot, but they are pretty much doing their own thing and don't have much to offer. So hence the internet searches which are pretty frustrating, for the reasons you state.

Jim Dory
03-29-2022, 10:14 PM
Turn your piece of UHMW dowel between centers to make a tenon on 1 end that will fit in your supernova chuck. Be sure to cut shoulders on your tenon so as not to bottom out on the jaws of your chuck. I also agree to look for a club in your area, they are a huge source of information and usually plenty of turners willing to help

That makes sense to me.. I think I can do that. I'll just need to purchase a drive center, I think. I'm trying to avoid amazon for what it's worth.. they are taking weeks (up to a month) to ship any orders for us up here. Then shipping takes over a week.

Brice Rogers
03-29-2022, 11:54 PM
Jim, every wood turner should have a drive center and a live center, so I would encourage you to buy them. But if you are in a hurry or if your lathe may only be seldomly used in the future, I can suggest an "bush fix" drive center. (Please guys, don't laugh, I did some things like this when I had little to no tooling and no other alternatives).

Get a piece of a hard and dense hardwood that will fit in your new chuck - - something like oak, walnut, ash, elm, hickory, etc. Turn the diameter down to about 1-1/2 ". Then, without removing the freshly turned piece of wood, use a pencil or a tool to mark the center. Then mark an "X" into the end. Take an electric drill and drill in five holes that will be a slightly tight fit for a stout nail (like maybe a 10D). Saw or snip off the rear end of the nail so that perhaps an 1/8 or 3/16" will stick out of the wood. Make the center nail a little longer. Drive in the nails with perhaps a drop of epoxy or superglue. Then file a two sided flat the is aimed at the center of your bush-fix drive center. When you mount your piece of UHMW find and mark the center then take a hacksaw and saw in an X to match your drive center. Use a small drill to drill the center hole. The center hole provides the primary alignment and the peripheral four nails will provide your drive. When you turn down your UHMW, use sharp tools, take light cuts, take your time. You don't want to get a catch that could make the nails tear out. Also, for the purpose of maintaining alignment, I wouldn't want to remove the UHMW or the bush-fix drive center until you are done putting the tenon on you UHMW.

Jim Dory
03-30-2022, 12:51 AM
Jim, every wood turner should have a drive center and a live center, so I would encourage you to buy them. But if you are in a hurry or if your lathe may only be seldomly used in the future, I can suggest an "bush fix" drive center.

Thanks Brice! That was a very good explanation that is easy to follow. I love hacks like this.

I may just go with purchasing one.. they are fairly cheap and I'm not in a big hurry. But I'll keep this in mind. Thanks! /jd

Edward Weber
03-30-2022, 11:18 AM
Youtube videos can be very helpful, very dangerous, and everything in between. I would suggest joining a local woodturning group. Likely you will be able to find members willing to show, not just explain, the different jaw sizes available for your chuck, help getting started with different tools, help experiment to see how best to shape that material, et cetera.

I have to agree with Don,
Be a little cautious/skeptical when watching YT videos. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Maybe ask on the turning forums first.
Turn Safe

Don Stephan
04-01-2022, 8:19 PM
Youtube videos I feel comfortable watching are those by Richard Raffan, Stuart Batty, and Brian Havens.