PDA

View Full Version : Leyland cypress

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2006, 9:51 AM
Anyone ever turned any Leyland cypress. Its an evergreen with typically branches to the ground and the wood has a nice blond color with lots of branch junctions and pine/Christmas tree smell. Looks like a juniper in the leaves.

http://www.realchristmastrees.org/treetype/ley_cyp.html

This tree came down in my neighbors dog run during Rita( yeah I got winds up here south of Memphis from both of those lovely ladies) but no damage to my own property.

I will be getting the trunk this weekend. The tree was about 25 -35 foot tall and the trunk I am getting is about 6-8 feet long and 6 to 12 inches diameter.

Any suggestions..regular bowls or something else?

Ian Abraham
01-19-2006, 6:11 PM
I haven't turned any myself but I have sawn a few logs and used the timber. It's light coloured, fairly stable and easy to dry, just a nice plain softwood. Made some shelves out of it here at work. It should be OK as both of the trees it was hybridised from are good for turning. (Monterrey and Nootka cypress) I like the Monterrey better as it has a nicer honey colour and grain, the Leighton looks more like pine.
Should make some decent turning blanks out of a log like that though.

Cheers

Ian

Andy Hoyt
01-19-2006, 7:03 PM
I turned a platter from cypress (don't know of any more exact name than that) and it was a true pleasure to do so. Was soft so had to manage the tearout issue, but other than that it was great. Kinda boring figure wise. But sure smelled good.

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 7:54 PM
Rob, do an experiment...turn something somewhat thin and soak it in BLO for a bit. See how it does relative to transparency and color. As a side benefit, when the oil cures, it will also "shore up" the softer species.

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2006, 9:00 PM
Jim sorta like what some people do with Norfolk Island pine that leaves a translucent bowl with some reddish colorations around the knots areas? I will give it a go next week or so...:cool:

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 9:39 PM
Jim sorta like what some people do with Norfolk Island pine that leaves a translucent bowl with some reddish colorations around the knots areas? I will give it a go next week or so...

Yup. It would be interesting to see how this species would compare to NIF or ponderosa pine, which also takes that finish beautifully. Cypress has some similar properties and some differences. Let us know what you find out! ;)