PDA

View Full Version : Small Gloat -- What do I do now ? **PIC**

Ken Salisbury
07-19-2003, 8:45 PM
About 5 years ago I put some small mantle/desk clocks in a store in one of the local Malls on a consignment basis. The new owner who had just recently bought the store told me she had a box of clock parts in the store room that the previous owner had left and wanted to know if I wanted them -- of course being a pack-rat I said sure (free stuff - why not).

I just finished a walnut tambour clock that needed a mechanism and I was plum out of quartz movements. I started to place an order with Klockit for some more when I remembered "The Box" which I had only briefly looked in 5 years ago - and the stuff on top looked kinda junkie and I never looked any closer.

I dug out the box - and lo and behold - a treasure find.

More than 80 quartz mechanisms with hands, numbers, bullets and hardware to go with them.

Now the problem is - what do I do with all these? I have enough projects, shows and trips to keep me busy enough as it is. Now I have to start making a bunch of clocks.

Jason Roehl
07-19-2003, 8:50 PM
I think the solution is quite simple, really. SEND THEM TO ME!!!! :D

Jim Young
07-19-2003, 8:55 PM
Keep what you think will not bore you and use the rest for gifts for your woodworking buddies and door prizes for future get togethers.

Joe Tonich
07-19-2003, 8:57 PM
I think the solution is quite simple, really. SEND THEM TO ME!!!! :D

WRONG ANSWER!!!

I CLEARLY see that they should find their way a little farther NORTH to a home in northern Ohio!!! :p

Joe

Dennis Peacock
07-19-2003, 9:08 PM
<B>Easy answer</B>........
<font size="+3" COLOR=green>You send one to an Arikie who needs one!</font>

David Rose
07-20-2003, 1:12 AM
Everyone is so greedy! :D Just bring enough to the Central BBQ that everyone can have one as a door prize. I will be there... but of course I'm *not* thinking of me getting one.

Hey, go drink a Bud Lite and celebrate your find!

David

Richard McComas
07-20-2003, 4:45 AM
Ken

You gota quite turning pens and go into the clock business or make really big pens with clocks in them. ;)

Mark Mandell
07-20-2003, 8:10 AM
Well, Ken,

Looks like you're either going to have to find the time . . .

or make some. :p :p :p

Mark

Doug Jones
07-20-2003, 8:19 AM
Offer them as a monthly drawing prize. I also like free stuff. Always looking for a bargin.

Ken Salisbury
07-20-2003, 10:17 AM
Offer them as a monthly drawing prize. I also like free stuff. Always looking for a bargin.
Doug,

That is a great idea ! ! ! -- I will donate 10 mechanisms/hands/harware, etc to a "Give-a-way.

Thanks for the idea - - - If you are lucky -- -- you might be the winner.

Jason Roehl
07-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Doug,

That is a great idea ! ! ! -- I will donate 10 mechanisms/hands/harware, etc to a "Give-a-way.

How about doing them in pairs or in groups of 5? "Spread the wealth" a little more.

Or, you could keep 71 of them and build a clock for every year of...oh, nevermind. :D :D

Keith Outten
07-20-2003, 10:42 AM
Ken,

I would be glad to participate in an effort to build a "clock kit" that we could put together and offer as prizes at SawMill Creek. I could laser engrave a clock face on wood. Maybe we could get 5 or 6 people to get involved with our custom clock kit and each provide their individual expertise to create the parts. A design concept is required based on the talents of those who would like to donate their efforts.

I'll bet Aaron would design a Killer clock face for the project. Another material that I have been playing with recently is engraving black marble, the results have been stunning. I will post a picture soon but for now I'm thinking a black marble clock face would be really nice for the "Creek Clock" project.

Anybody else interested? Could be a lot of fun and very little work for each person.

Ken Salisbury
07-20-2003, 10:51 AM
Ken,

I would be glad to participate in an effort to build a "clock kit" that we could put together and offer as prizes at SawMill Creek. I could laser engrave a clock face on wood. Maybe we could get 5 or 6 people to get involved with our custom clock kit and each provide their individual expertise to create the parts. A design concept is required based on the talents of those who would like to donate their efforts.

I'll bet Aaron would design a Killer clock face for the project.

Anybody else interested? Could be a lot of fun and very little work for each person.

Another good idea - - - We can discuss the details while we are in Pa.

Bart Leetch
07-20-2003, 5:04 PM
Can you make a clock like this with a mechanism like that?

Doug Jones
07-20-2003, 5:58 PM
Doug,

Wife come here, See I told you that not all my ideas are bad.

Kevin Gerstenecker
07-20-2003, 8:01 PM
You guys are KILLIN' Me.............. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Man, I LOVE this place! ;) :p

Ed Falis
07-20-2003, 8:26 PM
That's a really neat idea, Keith.

Ken Salisbury
07-20-2003, 10:45 PM
Can you make a clock like this with a mechanism like that?

Sure Ya Can Bart !!

Bart Leetch
07-21-2003, 1:41 AM
But just who is going to supply the old Bailey,Victor & Stanley planes? I have more time in restoring the planes to usable condition than I do making the clock.
I've had guys tell me I could sell clocks like this like hotcakes at flee markets. I've told them they don't want to know the cost. I suppose I could make the clock & put unrestored planes of just any quality if I consider it's just for looks.

David Rose
07-21-2003, 2:27 AM
Bart, I'll tell ya what... You buy the planes and restore them, with heavier blades of course, and I'll use them to make the clock cabinet parts. :D I'll BET you could sell those!

David

But just who is going to supply the old Bailey,Victor & Stanley planes? I have more time in restoring the planes to usable condition than I do making the clock.
I've had guys tell me I could sell clocks like this like hotcakes at flee markets. I've told them they don't want to know the cost. I suppose I could make the clock & put unrestored planes of just any quality if I consider it's just for looks.

David Blangger
07-21-2003, 2:36 AM
you thought you were running out of time but you were just holding enough in a box to pass around.....Gee Ken :D makes me wonder what else you have stored :D

good gloat good find!!!

David