PDA

View Full Version : Good source for inexpensive cabinets

Alan Tolchinsky
01-19-2006, 9:48 AM
Hi All,

I've been looking at the big box stores for some laundry room cabinets but can't find anything so far. Are there any other places to buy these? I'd make some myself but I don't have any tools available to me. I want to put these over the washer/dryer. Thanks.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-19-2006, 10:09 AM
I know it's not exactly what you asked, but you can go to Yahoo Groups and look for a Freecycle in your area. Post a wanted ad and you may find some good ones for free! :)

Matt Tawes
01-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi Alan,

Belive it or not, you might try asking some of the custom cabinet shops and/or some of your local builder/developers. Shops often have slight blemished, off color or display model cabinets they will sell cheap. Also many builders that put up spec. or model homes in their developments often have to pulll out and change cabinets for clients who purchase the spec. homes and some will sell them cheap. Many years ago I worked for a developer and installed cabinets and we had a ton of cabinets that we pulled out of spec. homes or changed out some that the color was slightly off from the others.Oddly enough most of those cabinets get trashed or just stored in a warehouse hoping to be re-used. My first home's kitchen was completely furnished with such cabinets that were in perfect condition and cost me nothing (of course I worked for the builder that I got them from and they had been installed in a model home for a couple of years). Of course now I would make my own since thats my buisness but I understand that you don't have all of the necessary equip. or the time.

Larry Browning
01-19-2006, 10:22 AM
In my town there is a Habitat for Humanity store where they sell materials that has been donated to them but either cannot use in the homes they build or is just excess stuff like paint. I really like shopping there because it helps out a good cause and I can get some real bargins to boot. I can buy paint for $3 a gal all the time. I got a brand new 42" solid core door for $25 that is now a great outfeed table for my TS. They sometimes have cabinets like you are wanting for $10.

Chris Pasko
01-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi All,

I've been looking at the big box stores for some laundry room cabinets but can't find anything so far. Are there any other places to buy these? I'd make some myself but I don't have any tools available to me. I want to put these over the washer/dryer. Thanks.

Hey Alan what part of MD are you in? I am into renovating houses and been buying cabinets from lowes for some time. I did however just find a new place I have used on my last few houses that have fantastic cabinets at a price you wont believe. They are all wood as well, no press board junk!

If you want I think I have a list of the cabinet sizes they offer with prices I can scan and email or fax to you. They offer 3 types of cabinets only, but they are pretty nice.

Its called Winks Building Supply on rt 40 east, their # is:

410-574-1170

Lee DeRaud
01-19-2006, 11:02 AM
I've used a ton of this Mill's Pride stuff in my garage:
http://www.millspride.com/selectroom/garage.cfm
but they also make slightly fancier doors etc for laundry rooms:
http://www.millspride.com/selectroom/laundry.cfm
Home Depot stocks most of it (or at least mine does). Yeah, it's MDF core, but it's pretty solid structurally and very easy to keep clean.

Dave Richards
01-19-2006, 12:23 PM
You might check in the neighborhood of a large hospital complex to see if there's a Goodwill or Salvation Army.

The Salvation Army store here gets cabinets and other stuff that are removed during remodels at "The Clinic" A lot of it is laminate cabinets in excellent condition. sometimes there is new stuff that was ordered but not installed for whatever reason.

A couple of years ago I picked up a couple of shallow drawers with full extension glides. They were $5 a piece. They were designed to mount under a counter and it turns out they are useful in their own right. I figured the hardware was nearly new and I couldn't get the hardware for just one drawer for $10.

Chris Mann
01-19-2006, 12:42 PM
if you're near dc, then there's a restore in alexandria down route. 1
http://www.restorenova.org/

also ikea's cabinets aren't all that bad. and some are actually solid wood.

Carl Eyman
01-19-2006, 12:44 PM
In our area Habitat for Humanity has a resale store for building supplies donated to Habitat and not usable for the houses being built. They often have cabinets. Even if your chapter of Habitat doesn't have one, they might tell you of a nearby chapter that does.

Dave Falkenstein
01-19-2006, 2:40 PM
I have used Mill's Pride cabinets from Home Depot in laundry room installations lots of times. Look in the kitchen cabinet section at Home Depot. There are several door styles in hardwood, and they also offer melamine, if you want to keep the cost down. The carcasses are melamine. I have had them in my own home for 12 years and they have held up with absolutely no problems.

Jay Knoll
01-19-2006, 2:57 PM
They have great cabinets at very reasonable prices, I believe they have a store outside of Baltimore, and there is one in VA as well

Jay

Alan Tolchinsky
01-19-2006, 3:46 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm sorry I didn't mention I'm in Florida but will be back to Md. soon. I'm in between Baltimore and D.C. I'm going to check out all the suggestions given here and again I really appreciate all the great help you've given me.

JayStPeter
01-19-2006, 4:04 PM
Did you look in the storage isle. Some of the inexpensive utility cabinets are for sale there. They have ones specifically made to go over a washer dryer for a little under $100 (for plain white flat doors). They are about 3/4 height wall cabinets that are just under 5' long and have 3 doors. Is that what you were referring to?
I know for a fact I saw one with flat doors and one with nicer doors at the blue borg yesterday. Don't know about the orange borg as we don't have any nearby. But, I have bought that cabinet there in the past. I use one over my bench in the shop.

Jay