PDA

View Full Version : New Blue Cross Card

Stephen Tashiro
03-28-2022, 8:28 PM
My new Blue Cross card has more information on it than the old one: amounts for individual deductible, out-of-pocket maximum in-network, and out-of-pocket maximum out-of-network. Doctor's offices generally make a copy of the card. Is this information useful to them?

Alan Lightstone
03-28-2022, 8:46 PM
Not really. Since the office staff doesn't know how much you have spent towards your deductible, and out-of-pocket maximums, they still would need to via software or phone call determine how much you would owe for the visit. If it mentioned office copay amounts, that would be a little helpful for knowing how much to collect.

Being OR based, I know this more from being a patient than a provider, but this should be correct.

Bruce Wrenn
03-29-2022, 8:32 AM
My new Blue Cross card has more information on it than the old one: amounts for individual deductible, out-of-pocket maximum in-network, and out-of-pocket maximum out-of-network. Doctor's offices generally make a copy of the card. Is this information useful to them?

If they an "in network" provider, they have most of this information from when BCBS negotiated rates with them. Think about this, insurer has to sit down with each provider to set payment rates. That's one of the big problems with our health care. What you ( and they pay) depends upon which insurance you have. But the poor cash customer has to pay FULL PRICE. Those who can't afford insurance are rewarded with the highest prices for medical care. Since they can't afford regular preventive care, they are the sickest. On morning news was a story about an individual who died from colon cancer. Without insurance, he couldn't afford colon screenings. But the state and health care providers spent over a MILLION dollars for his care prior to death. How many colon screening would that MILLION paid for, preventing many more deaths?

Dave Fritz
03-29-2022, 8:46 AM
If they an "in network" provider, they have most of this information from when BCBS negotiated rates with them. Think about this, insurer has to sit down with each provider to set payment rates. That's one of the big problems with our health care. What you ( and they pay) depends upon which insurance you have. But the poor cash customer has to pay FULL PRICE. Those who can't afford insurance are rewarded with the highest prices for medical care. Since they can't afford regular preventive care, they are the sickest. On morning news was a story about an individual who died from colon cancer. Without insurance, he couldn't afford colon screenings. But the state and health care providers spent over a MILLION dollars for his care prior to death. How many colon screening would that MILLION paid for, preventing many more deaths?

I don't think the average person understands, prevention is cheaper than dealing with the issue. White shirts know there's no money to made.