PDA

View Full Version : Jet jointer surface preparation

Mark Mrsa
03-28-2022, 4:36 PM
I've just purchased a Jet 6" jointer and the instruction manual recommended removing the packing grease/oil with either kerosine or gasoline. I've used a WD-40 de-greaser to remove the packing grease/oil on other power tool surfaces. The manual states to avoid solutions that may remove the paint finish. I'm not aware that the WD-40 product would do so. Is there another safe chemical to use to avoid kerosine or gasoline?
Mark Mrsa

Maurice Mcmurry
03-28-2022, 6:46 PM
Plain old WD-40 is a decent solvent and is fairly easy on paint. I have used a heat gun and rags as a first step. A razor blade will shave the bulk of packing grease off of milled surfaces as well.

Charles Coolidge
03-28-2022, 6:48 PM
Gasoline wow those fools want to be sued. No odor mineral spirits will be fine, the packing grease used today is quite thin. Most can be wiped off with towels with a final wipe down with mineral spirits. It's not like the Cosmoline of old that was like removing candle wax.

Lee Schierer
03-28-2022, 6:53 PM
I would definitely not use gasoline and if you use kerosene it should be done outside. I would try mineral spirits, which shouldn't affect the paint. Use a plastic scraper to remove the excess packing grease. Then wipe down with disposable mechanic towels to remove the remaining grease. Lacquer thinner will dissolve most any thing but that includes some paints. Wear gloves to protect your hands and a face shield to preclude any splash that might take to the air from hitting your eyes.

GUNK (https://gunk.com/product/gunk-heavy-duty-gel-engine-degreaser-ebgel/) degreaser might work and it doesn't harm paint on engines nor rubber & plastics.

William Hodge
03-28-2022, 8:10 PM
OP, you should scan that gasoline advice section and send it to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. You could save lives.

https://www.cpsc.gov/About-CPSC/Contact-Information/Contact-Specific-Offices-and-Public-Information/Information-Center