PDA

View Full Version : Tools...Any suggestions??

Jennifer Reed
03-28-2022, 3:10 PM
Hi All! My dad used to post on this site. He passed away last year and I have a bunch of his tools...many he used for woodworking. I was going to put them here in the classified section. ..I know about a few of them , but most I have no clue what they are. I was wondering if you all had any suggestions on the best way for me to learn about them?? Thanks! Jenn

George Yetka
03-28-2022, 3:14 PM
Sorry to hear. A series of photos may get you started. People could spot items and ask for them, but figuring out fair value may be hard. Maybe if some one wants to make an offer on something they can tell you what it is and you could google/ebay search it.

Alternatively an auction may be an option for you.

Jim Koepke
03-28-2022, 3:50 PM
Hi Jennifer, sorry to hear of your loss.

As George mentioned posting photos here of his tools would be a good start.

Be aware most "estate sale" businesses and others are more interested in tools they can make a profit buying and selling.

Most users or collectors are usually willing to pay fair value.

Some premium tools are currently worth almost as much as they were new due to supply difficulties.

jtk

Malcolm McLeod
03-28-2022, 4:08 PM
... any suggestions on the best way for me to learn about them?? Thanks! Jenn

My condolences to you & your family as well.

In addition to the other suggestions, you might also consider the jump to contributor status in order to use the Private Messaging (PM) feature. You'll need it for the classified listing access anyway, plus if you see someone in close proximity to your tool's location, you could PM them to ask for an assist - without broadcasting your location to the world. I'd wager someone would be glad to spend an hour to help ID and perhaps help assign values.

...Using some common sense provisions for your security, of course.

Lee Schierer
03-28-2022, 4:15 PM
My condolences to you & your family as well.

In addition to the other suggestions, you might also consider the jump to contributor status in order to use the Private Messaging (PM) feature. You'll need it for the classified listing access anyway, plus if you see someone in close proximity to your tool's location, you could PM them to ask for an assist - without broadcasting your location to the world. I'd wager someone would be glad to spend an hour to help ID and perhaps help assign values.

...Using some common sense provisions for your security, of course.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Minimum donation is $6, click on the yellow Donate button at the top of every page.

Dwayne Watt
03-28-2022, 4:47 PM
Wood turning clubs sometimes help sell estate tools, particularly turning/woodworking tools. They set a fair market value and handle the sales for a percentage to help fund their club. Depending where you live, this might be an option. https://woodturner.org/ has links to find affiliated chapters.

Ronald Blue
03-28-2022, 5:22 PM
Sorry for your loss. My condolences to you. Where are you located? There may be someone in your area. What was your father's name?

Maurice Mcmurry
03-28-2022, 6:31 PM
Very sorry to hear as well. Condolences. Bracing myself for this eventuality. Following this thread.

Stan Calow
03-28-2022, 7:05 PM
Yes, please give the city you are in and maybe a kind member is nearby that can help you out. Just noting, from experience, that when trying to sell a lot of small tools via classifieds, the shipping costs exceeds the value of the tools, so that it helps to sell to local folks.

Bill Bukovec
03-30-2022, 2:01 PM
If you have Facebook there is a group that has an auction starting every Friday and ending the following Sunday. You can set the starting bid at $1 or higher.

Jim Koepke
03-30-2022, 9:42 PM
If you have Facebook there is a group that has an auction starting every Friday and ending the following Sunday. You can set the starting bid at $1 or higher.

The OP seems to be more interested in learning about the tools before trying to sell them.

It would be a shame to put something up with a low starting bid that is worth a lot more on a nice spring weekend when only one person stays home to bid.

jtk

Rob Luter
03-31-2022, 9:22 AM
I'll second (third?) the suggestion of posting photos to gather information. The crowd here is a good bunch and will be honest with you. Once you learn a little more about them you might follow up with a post in the classifieds.

Jim Becker
03-31-2022, 11:33 AM
Jennifer, I agree with the suggestion to let the community help you understand what the major tools you have from your father so you can have a better chance of finding them a new home without "giving them away" as so often happens in estate situations.

And condolences on the loss of your father, belated of course. There is never a good time.