PDA

View Full Version : Masculine Urn-long-w/pics

Ernie Kuhn
01-19-2006, 9:29 AM
Want constructive criticism, please.
Sister in law asked to have masculine urn built for terminal husband. Toughest job in my shop, emotionally, ever.
Case work is 1/4 sawn Sycamore, reminded me of the pattern of snake skin cowboy boots. Trim is Australian Leopardwood. Cross is Purpleheart with material a bit thicker than the laser engraving so that it stands a bit proud of the background. Top is Maple Burl with some birdseye grain and a bit of Turqoise Inlace since that stone is his favorite. Finial and top corners are African Blackwood (Ebony). If I ever have to do another one, I need recomendations for improvement. Last name deliberatly obscured on pics.
Thanks in Advance for you help
Ernie

Jeff Sudmeier
01-19-2006, 9:32 AM
I 100% honestly can say I have no suggestions for improvement. Man ohh man you have done this person proud. I am sure it was tough for you, but what a gift!

John Branam
01-19-2006, 9:34 AM
That is an amazing piece. I really like the combonation of the different woods, the qs sycamore is one of my favorite species to work with great looking grain patterns. That is truely something I am sure youe SIL and family will treasure.

Tom Jones III
01-19-2006, 10:03 AM
First and most important, I would say great job. The craftsmanship looks great.

You asked for constructive criticism, well here is what you get for asking an art minor ... I know this is considered good by many people, but IMO there is too much visual interest. Everything on the urn looks fantastic and screams for attention. For example, the posts compete with the case. I would choose two, or at most three, items on the entire urn to accentuate and attempt to make everything else fade into the background. A second example of the same principle, the round lid is amazing. I would love to be able to do work like that. The finial is great as well. Both the top and the finial are fantastic and both scream for attention but they appear to be unrelated.

One final idea, and this is just a thought, possibly pick up the round theme on the top and make feet that carry on that theme? It would tie the entire piece together and make it a more coherent package. Sort of like the frame around a picture. For that matter, you could even make the posts partially round and really unify the entire design.

I hope I didn't sound too critical but I understand about wanting to perfect a design in case you make more; I've done the same thing with a couple other projects. I still think that the urn is phenomenal exactly as it is and you should be proud of it.

Ted Shrader
01-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Ernie -

The urn has items of interest in it that the Jess can appreciate now and that will bring pleasant memories in the future. I think you captured those items well in piece that is extremely well done. The care you have for the man is exceptionally evident in your work.

Toughest job in my shop, emotionally, ever. (snip)
. . . If I ever have to do another one, I need recommendations for improvement. Ernie

Know what you mean about emotional. Built an urn for my mother after looking at the ones available at the mortuary. It is all walnut raised panel construction with a walnut burl panel in the front. Inlaid on the top is a maple cross. Had to stop several times during construction so I could actually see what I was working on.

Concur with the comments Tom made about fewer items of visual interest. Each of the highlights in this have special meaning to Jess and in this case, it is most appropriate. Have you had a chance to show it to them yet?

Regards,
Ted

Jim Becker
01-19-2006, 10:44 AM
I think this is incredible work. You do your SIL and BIL proud on this project.

Rob Bourgeois
01-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Looks great but like someone said, its just a tad "busy". Maybe with the sycamore a less figured frame or vice versa. But regardless the craftsmanship is first rate and it something to be proud of. I love the top with the inlace and blackwood accents/finial

Michael Stafford
01-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Ernie, that is a fitting memorial to someone who was loved and your work shows it. Excellent!

Ernie Kuhn
01-20-2006, 1:44 PM
Thank you all. Appreciate the kind words. I agree with Tom and Ted about too busy. If I were to make one "on spec" for commercial purposes, I like the idea of toned down corner pieces, maybe straight-grained walnut for contrast and a less-figured top. The corner pieces would probably be 3/4 round to tie the top/overall design together. I may do one on-spec since it would be no emotional involvement.
Again, thank you all so much.
Ernie